Dealer just ordered my LSi9

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited November 2002 in Speakers
He said it should be in sometime next week. They only had the LSi15 in stock. Anyways, I'll let you all know what I think of them once I get them home. The guy tried to tell me to go with Monitor Audio instead which they had on sale but my gut feeling was to go with the LSi. He claimed that the MA was more detailed but I told him I wanted to LSi. Oh yeah, I ordered the cherry finish.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Awesome. Did you at least listed to the two and compare? How did the 15's compare to the Monitor Audio?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited November 2002
    I never got the chance to hear Monitor audio.Id like to hear your comments on the 2 compared..Congrads dude .
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited November 2002
    I got to hear some monitor audio. These were the best of the silver series. They were pretty nice. I was able to compare them with some M&Ks in the same room. I did prefer the sound of the M&Ks, but not by much. The MAs seemed a little more harsh to me. They were not as expensive as the M&Ks, so value wise I thought the MAs were the best buy. The MAs were a lot better looking. Very nice construction. I wanted to hear the MA gold series, but the store did not stock them. These were both powered by a top of the line Yammie receiver. The MAs and the M&K are both worth a demo.

Damn, after rereading the above paragraph, I suddenly have a desire for some M&Ms. Plain and peanut!

joe
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    LOL,
    M&M's...........melts in your mouth not in your hands.
    Dan
  • organ
    edited November 2002
    Oh man, I know I should have tested the MA against the LSi but there are several reasons why I couldn't. First of all, I had to get my dad to drive me to the dealer. Before we left for the store he asked me "what the hell is it now?". "A pair of small speakers" I said. "How much?" and then there was a brief silence......."a thousand"(I had to lie, the retail here is $1450CDN. "Are you crazy? These better be your last speakers. What the hell are you going to do with the ones you have now?" "I'll set them up in the living room for mom". Then he agreed to take me because I told him I won't be upgrading anymore(yeah right!).

He bitched at me about my system all the way to the dealer. And here's the second problem. I didn't want to demo them because they were not hooked up to any equipments and my dad was waiting in the car. I didn't want to take more time because he's not patient and he was already pissed as hell. But I still think the LSi is a better choice because I'm loyal to Polk. I recommend Polk to people I know and I can't see myself buying a different pair of speakers.

Now, about the M&Ms. I'd take the peanuts over regular any day.

Maurice
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited November 2002
    Hey Organ, Canadian here too eh.

Where did you order your lsi's? Here in Toronto, we got Tabangi Electronics and they have that real sleazy feel to them. How was your service?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    organ,
    sorry about your dad and pressuring you about upgrading.It kinda takes some of the joy out of it.Mrs Mantis gives me **** at times over upgrading(I do it alot).
    Dan
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    you wont be disappointed in getting the lsi-9, you will see & hear.
    what is your amp or receiver that you are going to use for the lsi-9
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited November 2002
    Organ.

While it is a good idea to compare as many speakers as possible before you buy, sometimes circumstances do not allow that. Sounds like you were in a bit of a tight spot. Anyway, no matter how many you get to listen to there will be many that you will not get to hear. Sometimes I wish it was as simple as picking out which M&Ms to buy. I bet you are going to be happy with those Lsis, and will not want to upgrade for many years.

joe
  • organ
    edited November 2002
    Begbie, Tabangi is the place man! Most of the time I feel like I know way more about audio than any of the salespeople but damn I always get a great deal there. Service was very nice. They treated me(20yr old with long hair) with respect. If you want great prices, speak to Moe. He lowers the price even more if you're paying ca$h. Have you been there lately? They really supped up the place, there's high end gear everywhere on display now!

Mantis, now that I think of it, I'm kinda glad I didn't get to audition any other speakers because I get so damn frustrated on deciding which one to get if I was really impressed with more than one.

ATCVenom, my source will be my beloved NAD C541 HDCD player. Cables are homemade bi-wire(12ga for LF and 16 for HF). The 12ga is Pro Link and the 16ga is Acoustic Research. The CD player is hooked up to my receiver(onkyo txds575) with XLO/Pro 100 IC. I don't think I'll be upgrading for a while. I don't think I'll be upgrading the sub(PSW650). I just love that beast. Very good for both HT and music.

Joe Logston, I will be running them with an Onkyo receiver mentioned above. I know it won't do the LSi any justice, but I'll be sure to pump them up with Rotel power this summer when I work full time and be able to afford it.

Joe6pak, you're absolutely right, that's why I'm kinda glad I didn't audition anything this time(see my response to mantis above).

Damn it, it's Tuesday and they haven't arrived yet. My patience is running out. I WANT MY SPEAKERS!:supermad:

Maurice
  • begbie
    edited November 2002
    Organ,

No, I haven't been to Tabangi Electronics lately. From what I saw then, it still looked like someone's office/cubicle that's crammed full of speakers. It barely had enough room for the couch that sit's in front of the huge office window! They had the lsi15 and no other model of Lsi to compare.

Have they renovated any further than that?? !
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • organ
    edited November 2002
    begbie, the store looks much nicer now. It looks more high end. You're talking about the one in Mississauga right? Well, the main desk is in the center now with all the cables and IC along the left wall, speakers along the right wall and they've got some real nice looking gears set up around the front on display(cd players, amps, integrated, etc). There's more room now. I also noticed that they now carry PSB speakers which I don't think they had before the renovation. The demo rooms are pretty much the same. Did you make any purchases there in the past? Did they offer you good prices? Just remember to speak to Moe if you want to purchase something.

Maurice
  • begbie
    edited November 2002
    You can't miss Moe cause he sitting right in the doorway as you walk in! I think he's the manager as well.
    I didn't pick anything up yet but I've worked in a/v sales, so i've got an idea of what buttons to push to get the best bargain.

Did you get your Lsi9 yet? How does it look for a bookshelf speaker? What stands are you using?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • organ
    edited November 2002
    LOL. That's true, Moe is always there to greet the customers. But believe it or not, he wasn't there when I ordered the LSi but I spoke to him on the phone about it and told the guy there about the price he offered.

The LSi are not in yet. I called them today after school and they said maybe tomorrow(aaaagggghhh the wait is killing me). I will be using a pair of 24" Premiere wood stands which I previously used for my RT5 before I got the 800i.

I still don't know why they never have the Lsi9 in stock and only the 15. If they want to sell the LSi line, they need the lower models as well because not everyone has the ca$h for a pair of LSi15.

Maurice
  • Shannon W.
    Shannon W. Posts: 568
    edited November 2002
    Organ you will be VERY HAPPY :) with your LSi9's I bought my with-out Hearing them first. And when they Got to my door I was almost in Tears. When I opend the box I could hear the Theme to Star Wars "what a feeling" when i hooked them up i was in Ahhhh. But then again I felt the Same way with my LSi7's,LSiFX's and my LSiC.
    Shannon
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Sony STR-DA4ES "use as Pre/amp"
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
    DLO HomeDock Deluxe iPod docking station
    Directv HR20 Sat. Receiver in black
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 Signature Amp
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Monster Cable HTPS 5100 MKII
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
    Click Here To View my Rig
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    And when they Got to my door I was almost in Tears. When I opend the box I could hear the Theme to Star Wars "what a feeling" when i hooked them up i was in Ahhhh.

Damn dude,
    And I thought I was the only one twisted in this forum.:D
    Dan
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2002
    Over the weekend, I actually did have a customer start crying when I played a cd she brought with her. They weren't even Polk speakers! It was a Yamaha YHT900 home theater system. It sounds pretty good, but nothing worth crying over! lol
  • organ
    edited November 2002
    Shannon, that's super cool! Great sound can bring out tears from all of us. OMG do we actually have a female member in this forum? You just made history here at Club Polk!

C'mon mantis, are you saying you never have a song playing in your head while you're unpacking new speakers and gear? Or did you have some bad music in your head you don't want us to know about?(j/k) =)

fireshoes, that's pretty funny man. Did you offer her some tissues? I'm sure you could have gotten a date with her if you did.

Now I'm starting to go crazy. My speakers are not here yet!!!! For the extra time they're taking to get here, Polk better add some surprises in the box! I hope Britney Spears pops out of the box when I open it and hand over the LSi one by one very gently. And as I begin to sweat and become speechless from the amazement, she could reach into the box again and pull out a blue can and say "Here, have a Pepsi". Or maybe she could pull out Cindy Crawford(ex Pepsi girl). Then the three of us can sit down and enjoy the new speakers with a glass of red wine in my candle lit HT. OK, back to reality.

Maurice
  • Shannon W.
    Shannon W. Posts: 568
    edited November 2002
    Shannon, that's super cool! Great sound can bring out tears from all of us. OMG do we actually have a female member in this forum? You just made history here at Club Polk!

Sorry to mislead you but "Shannon" (well in this case) is a MR.. :lol:
    hey but dont worrie im used to it. "Damn Publishers Clearing house" MRS. Shannon W.
    I've told them time and time again. its MR. Shannon W.

:D
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Sony STR-DA4ES "use as Pre/amp"
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
    DLO HomeDock Deluxe iPod docking station
    Directv HR20 Sat. Receiver in black
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 Signature Amp
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Monster Cable HTPS 5100 MKII
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround