Speaker advice to complete my system

styles
styles Posts: 22
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and after reading through polk's site and a bunch of threads, I've come to the conclusion that I'm still a complete newb.. :D

Anyways, I was hoping you guys could suggest which polk speakers I should use to complete my system.

Currently:

Receiver: Harmon/Kardon AVR 510? (500 something, I forget..)
Fronts: RT2000P
Sub: PSW650
Surround: None
Center: None

I purchased all that about 1 - 2 years ago. Now, I'm looking to pick out a good pair of surrounds and center. (Yeah, it's taken me this long just to save up enough to finish it off..) :)

My original plan was to get a pair of f/x500i and a CS400i or CS245i. 2 years later, they've been discontinued so I need a new plan.

What would you guys suggest? I'm looking for speakers that'll complement my existing system. Do you think a pair of FXi50 will be good or will I need to save up more and get the LSiFX? As for the center, is the CSi40 good or should I get the LSiC??

I'm mainly concern with finding quality speakers to match my existing system. I can save $$$ a bit longer if needed. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advanced guys.. Any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated.
Harmon / Kardon AVR 510

Fronts: RT2000I
Center: CSi40
Surrounds: FXi50 *waiting in box

JVC DVD Player
Monster Cables
Post edited by styles on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2002
    styles, welcome to the forum. You have a nice start on the speakers and it sounds like you are doing the research.
    Sort of answered you own question.
    My original plan was to get a pair of f/x500i and a CS400i
    Very good plan - they can still be found on the web here and there - ebay and what not.
    FXi50 and CSi40 IMHO is your best bet. Have fun!!!!!!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Agreed, if you cannot find a deal on the CS245/300/350/400 on the used market, go with the new RT series.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • capitan100
    capitan100 Posts: 172
    edited November 2002
    i would also consider the rt55i's.. they sound impressive as well. The fx500's are great speakers too. Sounds like you will have a nice setup no matter which way you choose...

The cs400i would be a very nice choice for the center
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen
  • styles
    styles Posts: 22
    edited November 2002
    I think the RT55s are out of the running. I think I'll have a hard time find them. So you guys think the FXi50 will be a better fit than the LSiFX??.. Is the LSiFX going to be too much for what I have now??

Regarding the center speaker, I'm having a hard time deciding which one is best. The only difference between the CSi400 and CSi40 is the Trilaminate Dome the 400 uses. I might not be able to find a new 400 anyways, the Circuit City I usually go to sells mainly the new stuff.

So, now I'm considering the LSiC to CSi40. The LSiC obviously does more but which one will fit my existing system better?? Will the LSiC throw my system off balance??

Currently:

Receiver: Harmon/Kardon AVR 510? (500 something, I forget..)
    Fronts: RT2000P
    Surround: None
    Center: None
    Harmon / Kardon AVR 510

Fronts: RT2000I
    Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50 *waiting in box

JVC DVD Player
    Monster Cables
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2002
    Get the CSi40 and FXi50's. They will sound better with your system than the LSi speakers.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2002
    styles. i always go in with the thought that bigger is always better when it comes to speakers.. meaning.. the 400 instead of the 245.. what if you bottom out the 245 right away? then you'll wish you had purchased the 400. over buy is my point. no underbuy. good luck. you have a great start already in house.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: