edited October 2006
    Options
    I have access to one.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2006
    Options
    You will need it. Get it and I'll help you go through the steps in my previous post. Follow that and you will know exactly what is going on. There is an easy answer depending on which of the two scenarios you find.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thank you, I truly appreciate it. When I get home this evening I'll give it a whirl and post the results.

Ben
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • madmax
    edited October 2006
    Options
    No problem, I'll be happy to check back. I probably wont be around until tomorrow afternoon though. Just set your ohm meter up on ohms so you see it reads 0 when you touch the leads together and flashes or whatever when open (leads not touching). Set it at 200 ohms or 500 ohms, it varies on different meters and some of them just automatically set the correct range for you anyway. Get a little training session from whoever you borrow it from if possible. You can't hurt anything so play around a little. :)
    madmax

• strider
    edited October 2006
    Options
    16.3 ohms between the blades on the left side, 23.5 ohms on the right side. Shows open when checking either blade on one side and either blade on the other side.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • madmax
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hey, I am around this evening! Cool, that is what I was expecting, it sounds like you constructed the isolator properly! (unless you have to change polarity of one side of the cable only, which we will discuss later).

Your problem is the transformer cannot function without a ground attached. Think of it this way just to understand. Lets say you have two coils of wire sitting next to each other. You hook up the plus and minus of one coil to an amp. The coil next to it you hook up to the plus and minus of a speaker. Keep in mind there is no physical connection between the two coils. When you power up the first coil a magnetic field is created around it. Since the second coil is within this field, a voltage is created in the second coil and powers the speaker.

So, how to fix your problem is simple. Inside the speaker run a wire from the negative black speaker wire post to the unconnected blade recepticle in both speakers. I had you check the cable wiring first because you could have damaged things had it been wired a particular way, which it is not.

Once you modify the connectors as stated above, give it a try. The only other possible problem would be polarity of one pair of the transformer connections. If this is a problem you will not hear any SDA effect which means the sound will be between the two speakers and will not reach outside of them. If wired correctly you should be able to hear stuff way to the left and right outside of the speakers. To fix the problem (if there is one) you would take the two wires from one side (lets say the left side) where they hook to the transformer and swap them.

Let me know how it turns out.
    madmax

• strider
    edited October 2006
    Options
    That's funny. I didn't even bother to check last night. Oh well, looks like I've got something to look forward to tonight! I started second guessing myself on which scenario was happening after reading some of the SDA playlist threads. Seems like they were all describing the soundstage as enveloping; I heard mostly a few degrees either side of center. The detail was really impressive. I can't imagine what it'll sound like tonight!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • madmax
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yea, they sound fairly impressive even without the cable. I wired mine in the wrong polarity once and they still sounded good, just not the way they were supposed to.

Just wondering, do you have the speakers and your listening position in an equal triangle? For example each speaker 6 to 8 feet apart from each other and from your ears? This is the best way to hear the SDA.

madmax

• strider
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yea, I'd say if not exactly an equilateral triangle it's pretty darn close. They're about 2 feet off the back wall; unfortunately, because of the space they are in, they're only about 1.5 ft from the side walls. Hopefully this winter I'll have time to do a little remodeling to give them a better home, maybe even enough to get my 5.1 setup back together. Damn, re-reading that last sentence was a shot of reality. 3 weeks ago I was happy with one set of RT55's as my source of sound. Now I'm entertaining the thought of tearing out fireplaces and running dedicated electrical circuits to acheive a full Polk 5.1 SACD listening environment. You guys are contagious.:D
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • madmax
    edited October 2006
    Options
    1.5 feet from the side walls will cause you problems. If you could soften the walls next to the speakers with curtains, foam, egg crates (whatever depending upon your decor level) you will notice a huge improvement. The SDA's really need about 3' at the sides but soft walls will do it too.
    madmax

• dbnh
    dbnh Posts: 194
    edited October 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    1.5 feet from the side walls will cause you problems...madmax
    I concur, and have found that adhering to Polk's distance set-up parameters works well for me.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,847
    edited October 2006
    Options
    2 feet out is too far, I find 5 to 6 inches works best.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• strider
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I'll need to fool around with placement tomorrow. I only had enough time to install the ground strap between the big blade and the negative terminal last and listen for about 5 minutes. My plans for an evening of aural indulgence were superceded by the better half. :(
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • madmax
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Maybe her polarity is wrong or she has a wire loose somewhere? :)
    madmax

• strider
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Finally got a chance to load up the cd player and sit down for a listen. Pretty damn impressive, even with my less then ideal placement. Did the most listening with the speakers 10 ft apart from each other, about 2 ft from the back wall and 2 ft from the side walls on each side. To my ears it sounded better then when they were closer to each other, say 6 1/2 ft, and 3 ft from the back and side walls. Found the soundstage to be very tall, wide but not wider then the speakers. Individual instruments were easily picked out, crowd noise on live recordings kinda floated a couple of feet in front of me. Dark Side was pretty cool, best thing I heard was the woman that was announcing the trains in the trainstation. Voice sounded like it was coming frrom the PA of some large building. Next time I'll try swapping one set of the cables on the interconnect around to see if anything changes. As of right now I think the room setup has more to do with not hearing anything outside of the speakers, but we'll see. It's not the worst thing sitting down and listening to music.:D
    Wristwatch--->Crisco