New Front Stage Setup (little long)

scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Have been enjoying my HT for awhile now and have not found any great improvements since my original setup. About 6 months ago I got a great deal on a new pair of rt35i's. I stacked them on top of my rt1000's and they glooked great together. Like one tall main speaker stack. I have the Onkyo 787 and wired them together producing a 4ohm load. Liked the sound but did not want the reciever to produce that since they recommend nothing lower than 6ohms. Wired them to get a 16ohm and left it at that for awhile. Ethier way I enjoyed the more spacious sound stage they produced but was not happy with the degration in sound quality overall.
My biggest complaint with my sound over time is that the sheer power of the effects attaching to the screen was not there and as many I have heard with HT's the Polk speaker size arrangment ect. there was just not enough volume on the Dialouge. The vocies were just too quite compared to the rest of the effects going on. I have tryed things to improve this including pumping up the gain on the center a little - nothing helped very much.
Having the Onkyo 787 they have preouts for every channel. They made a power amp (M-282) which was an exact match to the specs. of power that the recievers produces. The M-282 is a 2 ch. amp with 100 watts at 0.08 thd. It was made so that you could acheive a full power 7.1 system.
I got a plan - bought the M282 from Cruchfield for $250. I use my dedicated HT mostly for movies but when I listen to music I use Onkyo's DSP 6 ch. stereo and I love it. This is why I did not use the power amp on the 35's for the mains speakers. Since in DD the mains are basicly sound fx's for the center. The center speakers produces about 70% of the sound on the front stage directly attaching the movie to the screen. Therefore I used a high quality Monster slitter on the center out to my M-282 and ran my35's in conjuction to my cs400. Giving me an extra 200 watts to my center channel arrangment.
The outcome - I am very pleased. The voices are cleaner and more defined. More (Theater like) power attached to the movie screen. Effects are louder and the center is streched out more to acommadate my 8 foot screen. CS1000 eat your heart out. 6 ch. music is better than ever. Just though I would give you guys my latest upgrade. Built a shelf for the center speakers and framed my screen in finally. Here are some pics and the M-282.
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• scottvamp
    edited November 2002
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    real nice scottvanp, so the onkyo amp is running your center bi-amp or you added the 35 to the center. did it clean the sound up or made it loulder, or both. what size is your screen
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    real nice scottvanp, so the oknyo amp is running your center bi-amp or you added the 35 to the center. did it clean the sound up or made it loulder, or both. what size is your screen
    Thanks, the 35's are on seperate power amp with each rt35 getting a seperate 100 watts and the cs400 is running on the reciever getting a 100 watts. It is cleaner and louder. The spl set up remains the same since I am using the center preout. And the Onkyo M-282 is hooked to my Monster power unit and shuts on and off with the Onkyo reciever. The screen is 110 diagonal. Actual surface is 5' by 8'.
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    All i get is one reply. Seeing the same questions on this site everyday. I'm givin the love!!!!!
    :lol:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    Feeling unloved tonight huh scott???

OK I'll post to make you feel all warm and fuzzy......OK let me look at your pic's again............yep looks like all my old speakers..I had them all.........yep.........rt1000p's.......**** dude how did you wire them...LOL

It looks good my man........creative I see.Ever just consider dual center cahnnels or trying to find a cs1000p????Just asking.

Lots of love from here dude.........I like the roman looking stuff,I bet the MRs vamp had something 2 do with it..
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    mantis, givin the love again.
    Feeling unloved tonight huh scott???
    Hey, I am in good mood. That's all.
    It looks good my man........creative I see.Ever just consider dual center cahnnels or trying to find a cs1000p????Just asking.
    Thanks, just used what speakers I already had. CS1000p - did not want to deal with even more subwoofer inputs. Anyway I have plenty of bass. Had to have a reason for my girlfriend to let me buy another amp.
    Thanks Mantis - your on the my good Polk guy list.:D
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited November 2002
    i been looking into that onyko amp......does it run those rt35i good and loud?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    i been looking into that onyko amp......does it run those rt35i good and loud?
    I am using them in conjuction as a center channel set to small. I can't really crank them individually right now in my setup.

IMO It should be just right. 100 high current watts a channel. Onkyo WRAT (wide range amplifier technology)0.08%thd
    Very nice clean amp inside and out.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    LOL,
    glad to be on that list.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.