Question on side wood panels on SDA SRS 1.2's

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited October 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I have a pair of 1.2's which I would like to use in my main system in place of the current SDA SRS. I need to because the 1.2's will accept the isolater and my S/N SDA SRS will not.

The problem is the side panels. I NEED oak and I have walnut. I want to make my own side and top panels. The tops are no problem, they just unscrew from the inside. How are the side panels attached, how thick are they and could I replace them??

madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I believe they are held with plastic mushroom caps and glue. I know someone did a surgery on a pair of these and posted pics in the forum....someone else might remember. I replaced the sides on a pair of SDA1C and it was less complicated.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2006
    Options
    The side panels, if like the SDA SRS, are held in place with plastic pop-ins. On mine there was no glue. The biggest issue is that the panels are two piece, a routed MDF panel that accepts the trim panel and has grill cloth covering over the remainder (either side of the finished trim piece.)

Getting the larger, MDF panel off takes a little patience and a large putty knife. Getting the trim inserts removed from it is another story. Polk designed the insert to be attached, from the back, with countersunk screws. In production--at least in the case of my speakers--they used a pneumatic set brad, and lots of them. Getting them out will require you grind or drill the heads off. Then, you'll have to carefully try to separate the trim panel from the larger side panel.

Raife posted a write-up on the side panels, with pictures, sometime ago. I'm not at a computer with that bookmark, or I'd provide it.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited October 2006
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,848
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Have you considered putting oak veneer over the walnut? The caps on the 1.2's are veneered, so I wouldn't be surprised if the side strips are too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thanks! It is totally different than I envisioned. This looks do-able but would take some time. I think I am going to go ahead and swap in the 1.2's as is for now and put this on my to-do list.

I am wondering at this point if I couldn't just swap the complete side panels with my SDA-SRS. That would certainly make life easy.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yes, the insert strip is veneered MDF.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited October 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    I am wondering at this point if I couldn't just swap the complete side panels with my SDA-SRS. That would certainly make life easy.
    madmax
    If Polk used the same drilling template for the locks, and the cabinets are the same dimension, it should be an easy swap. Let us know.