DD EX hook up

Digital Daddy
Digital Daddy Posts: 36
I have a HK AVR 520,what do I need to hook up the SBL/SBR to get 6.1/7.1 and how do I hook it up?
  1. RTi 70
  2. CSi 40
  3. r30
  4. r15
  5. Velodyne 12" sub
  6. H/K AVR520
  7. PS3
  8. Xbox 360
  9. Bell HD satellite 6100
  10. Samsung 4665 HDTV
Post edited by Digital Daddy on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited November 2002
    Hey, welcome to the club. I don't have the answer to your ?, but I've got to say, cool name.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited November 2002
    Welcome Digital Daddy,

To do 7 channels with the avr-520 you need to purchase a seperate 2 channel power amp that closely resembles the sound quality of the Harmon Kardon or better yet see if they make a matching amp for that receiver. You really should maintain the same power rating throughout all your channels and I think the 520 is rated at 75 watts a channel.

When you get an external amplifier all you do is take a set of stereo analog cables and hook y=them up to the 520's SBL and SBR preamp outputs and then hook up the other ends of the cables to the power amp and then hook your 6th and 7th speakers to the amp and balance your sytem and you are ready to go.

Hope this helps.
  • Digital Daddy
    edited November 2002
    LIV4FAM,thanks for the info.I have a Sony DD ready/Pro-logic receiver kick'n around,could I somehow use that instead of purchasing a new two channel amp?Thanks
    1. RTi 70
    2. CSi 40
    3. r30
    4. r15
    5. Velodyne 12" sub
    6. H/K AVR520
    7. PS3
    8. Xbox 360
    10. Samsung 4665 HDTV
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    You got it, Digi-Dad.

Any 2 channel stereo receiver will do, and so will your Sony 5.1 unit.

Just run an RCA cable from the pre-outs of the 520 to the main speaker L/R analog inputs of the receiver, and you're ready to rock n roll.

Definitely rebalance your system afterwards with the SPL meter and the test tones.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2002
    You can add a amp as long as u have preouts (surrounds) but you still won't get a true 6/7.1 because your receiver or preamp has to have DDex or DTSes decodeing. Other wise you will just be adding extra surround speakers and that is OK too.
    Just run an RCA cable from the pre-outs of the 520 to the main speaker L/R analog inputs of the receiver, and you're ready to rock n roll.
    Actually you want to use the surround speaker preouts if you have them. Other wise your signal from your main speakers will play as surrounds. You don't want that.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited November 2002
    I thought that went without saying, Scott. Naturally he needs to select the appropriate pre-outs for 6.1/7.1, which I assume are already on his H/K AVR 520, otherwise he wouldn't be asking about it.

He was asking if he could use his spare Sony 5.1 receiver as an amp to power the SBL / SBR channels and he can. At that point, the signal is already analog, and the Sony won't care where it came from - it will just amplify the signal.

The only reason I suggested the L/R mains as inputs on the Sony 5.1 unit is because sometimes the amp(s) for the main speaker channels is better (more power and/or better specs) than the amp(s) for the surround channels in lower end 5.1 receivers.

Doc

SVS
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    Dr. Spec is 100% correct.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    Ya, sounds good.:D
  • Digital Daddy
    edited November 2002
    Thanks DR.SPEC for the CORRECT information,I will try that hook up as you suggested and let you know how I made out.I also would like to know if I play a movie with DD EX 6.1 or DTS ES 6.1 matrix like for ex.BLADE 2,will sound be heard from SBL and SBR?Or from just one speaker?
    1. RTi 70
    2. CSi 40
    3. r30
    4. r15
    5. Velodyne 12" sub
    6. H/K AVR520
    7. PS3
    8. Xbox 360
    10. Samsung 4665 HDTV
  • F1nut
    edited November 2002
    How do you like that, I extend the first welcome and everybody else gets a thanks. I get zip, zero, nada. Man, I tell ya it's what have you done for me lately....tough crowd.

j/k, glad you got some answers.

:cool:

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dr. Spec
    edited November 2002
    Digi-Dad:

Just make sure to use the analog inputs for L/R stereo on your 5.1 Sony. Also, this guidance speaks nothing about how mixing a H/K and Sony amp will sound. I'm sure it will sound OK, but not as good as if you kept with H/K. Balancing the SPL after you are done will be critical, regardless.

Also, I have limited experience with 6.1 and 7.1. Usually any receiver will "downmix" or "upmix" a signal as needed (i.e., if you have a 5.1 set-up and you send it a 6.1 signal, it will still play it but it won't be true 6.1 obviously; conversely, if you have a 7.1 set-up and you send it a 6.1 signal, it will probably split the sounds from the rear center channel and mix them between the SLB, and SRB, but it won't be a true 7.1.

Ask F1nut what he thinks........he clearly needs some stroking. :-)

Also, there was nothing incorrect about what Scott said, I think he just got tripped up between which receiver you were intending to use for which purpose. His reasoning was still sound.

Doc

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    Also, there was nothing incorrect about what Scott said, I think he just got tripped up between which receiver you were intending to use for which purpose. His reasoning was still sound.
    Thanks Dr. Spec!!!!!!!!!!! Got some love.
  • Digital Daddy
    edited November 2002
    Sorry about that F1Nut,I'm just really frusturated with these set ups I've been trying.I do appreciate your knowledge and the time you took to try and help me.No hard feelings friend?
    1. RTi 70
    2. CSi 40
    3. r30
    4. r15
    5. Velodyne 12" sub
    6. H/K AVR520
    7. PS3
    8. Xbox 360
    10. Samsung 4665 HDTV
  • F1nut
    edited November 2002
    Hey Digital Daddy,

I was just having fun. No need for the "sorry" broham and there are/were no hard feelings. Maybe I should say I'm sorry for kinda picking on you. The bottom line is that you got the help you needed. Again, welcome to the forum (crazy as it is) and I hope you'll hang out here awhile.

Peace,
    Jesse

President of Club Polk