Receiver upgrade for LSi9, LSiC

Options
gtbiker
gtbiker Posts: 15
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Recently upgraded to the LSi9 & LSiC. Excellent speakers. I didn't know what I was missing until I heard these speakers. Excellent for movies and music. The detail is remarkable. It took me awhile to balance the PSW1200 to the LSi's. Does anyone remember the PSW1200? The 110lb powered dual 12" subwoofer. It will shake the plates out of the kitchen cabinets. OK, ok, on to my question. I'm looking to upgrade to a more powerful receiver because the LSi series want more power. I don't want to play them real loud, I just want then to be driven by a receiver that compliments their abilities to reproduce sound and detail. Yes, they sound great with the rcvr I have but I know they can sound better. Does anyone have any recommendations for a HT rcvr at the $500 level and then the $1000 level? Thanks
LSi9, LSiC, PSW1200, Definitive Technology BP2X surrounds, Sony rcvr STR-DE435, Panasonic DVD-RA60
Post edited by gtbiker on

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Most people on here will tell you that you really need to go higher than that to make them sing, like flagship receiver level or seperates. If you do stay with something around the $1000 mark, I really like the Yamaha RXV2300, which retails for $999. Everyone has their own opinions though, so go out and let your ears tell you what to buy!
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Arcam AVR-200 drives my LSi9s beautifully. It's a little pricey at $1200, but definately worth it IMO.

Might want to look into the NAD reciever, they have one at about $1000.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited November 2002
    Options
    keep receiver, go wit outlaw audio
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Does your reciever have pre-outs? If so I'd just pick up a 2ch or 5ch amp to drive the LSi's. You can pick up a Parasound 5ch amp for $500 or so. Also look for used gear if you can. Used will be your best bet for $500.

If not, you can get a good Rotel reciever on ebay for $500-$600, or check out Denon or HK. If you get a reciever, get one with pre-outs so you can add an amp later.

Just my .02
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2002
    Options
    gtbiker,
    if the name aplies.....I use to ride myself.GT pro.anyways,

Id consider alittle more for your receiver purchase.The Lsi speakers are demanding.Rotel rsx1055.It's about 1200.00 depends where you shop.75 watts all channels driven and 100 watts in stereo mode.Super cool as receiver and you can add a amp for surround back(Rotel allows you to do this to keep the cost of the receiver down if your only going to use 5.1 to start).
    I believe Rotel is the way to go.They are less then the other high end receivers,ahve alot more headroom,and in my opnion the very best sounding receivers on the market.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • VE6OHV
    VE6OHV Posts: 119
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I am running the RT series in my HT set-up and just upgraded to a smaller (AVR1803) Denon. At 80w/ch it is pushing my power hungry RT's with ease. Might be a little smaller than what you are looking for but do check out the Denon Avr 3803/3802

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR38033v2.pdf

Might be worth a look.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I somewhat agree with mantis, but for your budget - look into the RSX-965 or 972, or the Denon mentioned above. They can be had on ebay within your price range.

Or if you can go into the higher price ranges, then you have a whole other world of options. Let us know how things go.