jbowl Posts: 72
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Current setup:

RTI70
CSI40
PSW450
Cheapo Sony bookshelf for surrounds

17 X 22 room size

I'm very satisfied with HT. But two channel audio bass seems a little weak. Would RTI100's help? I've seen threads claiming that powered towers are tough to setup.
Post edited by jbowl on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2002
    Options
    What portion of bass is missing? Is it mid bass, or low bass? I dont think adding a powered tower would help..I think either your sub is not right for what you want...or your system is not callibrated.
    what is your stereo?

I have powered towers myself...and like them..but they are not for everyone..
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2002
    Options
    jbowl,
    what are you driving the system with?That could be where you feel the bass is weak.Placement could be an Issue.Wire scould be an issue.I don't know by reading your post.But to answer your powered tower questions.....Yes the rti100's will have more low end bass,due to the built in sub's.And yes they are hard to setup.Carefull setup is required to get all the benifits out of them.All speakers require this,but I feel powered towers are even more challenging to get right for you.I owned the rt1000p's for 4 years.I loved and hated them most of the time.I own passive towers now,and I don't think I will ever go back to powered.You however need to make that desision on your own.Help you I will, deside for you I can't.Add alittle more to help me understand what your after and hopefull I could help further.

good luck...
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jbowl
    jbowl Posts: 72
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I think my problem is mainly inexperience and ignorance on setup and placement. I have an Onkyo TXSR600 running line level to the sub @ 80hz. My wood judges-panneling maybe affects the accustics. Speakers are about 8" out toed in about 40deg.

I think I'm missing mid-bass. Turning down the vol on the sub seems to help. I don't know the meanings of adjectives I see thrown around, bright, warm, muddy etc... So I'm not sure how to describe what I'm hearing and want to hear.

I enjoy older grunge rock, late 80's early 90's. Soundgarden, Bush, some hair-band stuff like Scorpions, Motley Crue. Maybe it's just the nature of the music I listen to. It sounds what I would call washed out.

If I increase the treble I think vocals sound cleaner and crisper. Is that what 'bright' means?

Any thoughts?
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Make sure you're running the cable to the sub's "LFE IN". Your problem might be double filtering. I know that with my Onkyo(in stereo), setting the speakers to "large" will send 80hz and lower to the sub and running them "small" will send 120hz and lower. All I know is that when you're using an Onkyo receiver, you need to bypass the subs crossover. My 800i are set to "large" and the sub out from the receiver is connected to the LFE IN.

If you're connections are right, try playing arond with placement.

Maurice
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    Options
    try moving your sub around the room if you can that mite help, you need to play with the sub with differtent settings hook it up to the speaker cables from the mains out put on receiver to your sub and to your main speakers, and run your mains large, try this and see if it dose any better.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.