hum from drivers

Options
pmckeealaska
pmckeealaska Posts: 808
edited September 2006 in Speakers
I recently began having a problem with my amplifier going into protection mode when playing music/videos at high volumes. I have isolated the problem as a bad crossover on the right channel speaker (LSi25) causing the speaker to go down to below 4 ohms impedence. I am packing it to be repaired by polk. But this morning as a last test on my system, I noticed a buzz/humm coming out of the top drivers on both speakers. I have been running my system for a couple of weeks since i notcied the issues with the driver on the one speaker, but have not played any music, just satellite TV at low volumes to keep the amp from heating up. My question is, could I have messed up the amp by continuing to use it with the bad crossover over the last 3 weeks or so? Is it the amp causing the buzz/hum? I dont notice it when only the receiver is on. It only happens when the amp is powered up. The buzz/hum is not super loude and is not noticable when the volume is up at a listenable level. Please help as I'm at my wits end to figure it out. I have new (as of June) IC's (AQ King Cobras) so I dont think that is the issue either. Thanks for assistance!!
Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
LSi25 Front Speakers
LSiC Center Channel
LSiFX Surrounds
Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
NAD T763 Reciever
Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
Playstation 3 120GB Slim
Post edited by pmckeealaska on

Comments

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2006
    Options
    call polk customer service, they may just send you the parts you need instead. They are very good about things like that
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,865
    edited September 2006
    Options
    You've certainly got a lot of stuff going on with your gear. LSi speakers are rated at 4 ohms nominal and drop down around 2 ohms at times. I'm not sure you really have a problem with the crossovers. At what volume level is the amp shutting down, less that halfway or more than halfway? I'm more inclined to think your amp has a problem.

Satellite/cable boxes are infamous for causing ground loop hum. You might want to look into that. I also recall some folks having hum problems with AQ cables, so check that too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk