sda crs

Options
rodman_sda
rodman_sda Posts: 32
edited September 2006 in Vintage Speakers
i have a pair inherited from my father purchased in dec 84'. he had them hooked to a sumo amp 200w/ch. they would take every bit?? and i gave them plenty of real tests during some highschool parties he was not privy to. they were put into the original boxes in 90 which were then wrapped in plastic. i opened them last may, wow!! they look brand new (so do the boxes), and have been playing with them since. i am very disappointed in the "saptial" sda technology. many times things sound out of phase and the bass...well it sucks. they don't handle much more than probably half of my kenwood ka-801(110w/ch) before the woofers snap. i can get replacements but that sda won't go away. i opened one up to see how this xover worked. still can't really figure it out but found that a shunt place between one of the sda sockets (samller one) and ground activate the other side of the cabinet but something is still amiss. the super wide sound is gone but some other things seem to be also. any thougths on this? these have sentimental value so you won't see these for sale at any price, so please don't ask.
Post edited by rodman_sda on

Comments

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited September 2006
    Options
    where are you located?
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Sounds like they are suffering from many issues.
    take pictures of the speakers in their current location in the room, pics of the back of the speakers, and the front of the receiver.
    This should tell us if they're placed correctly,if they're wired properly and if you're not abusing the tone controls.
    Once we have this info,we'll try to fix some of your issues.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2006
    Options
    It was your receiver that ran out of juice, not the speakers.

Things will go amiss when they are abused.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. Do you want to get rid of the SDA feature or are you trying to repair it? There is nothing wrong with the drivers, halfway on that Kenwood would drive any speaker into clipping, get better power if you want to play it loud. Bass response will also improve with better power as will placing them close to the back wall, about 5 or 6 inches away.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    Options
    rodman_SDA do you have the SDA cable the goes between both speakers? This is important to get the SDA drivers to work properely.

Your father was right.. giving them 200watts of power, is what's making the difference between the awesome sound you heard back then.. and your current Kenwood.

If they were stored away... it seems that very little could have gone wrong with them. Yes the caps could dry up and or leak over time. The crossovers may need to be upgraded as well.

Make sure your speaker wire connections are good.. pos to pos, neg to neg.

Also... even though I don't own a pair of CRS's.. bass from a passive radiator is going to sound different than bass from your typical woofer in a speaker.

Also, if the drivers are leaking air by not making a tight seal, it will decrease the bass you hear.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Rodman,

I'm sure one of Polk Forum's SDA junkies in the area would be happy to come help you get the most out of the speakers, if you bribe them with alcohol.

Post your location, ask for help, and I'm sure someone will come to the rescue. However, be prepared to hear you need some new electronics to make the speakers sound their best. Your ears will thank you, your wallet/wife probably won't.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • rodman_sda
    edited September 2006
    Options
  • rodman_sda
    edited September 2006
    Options
    they have not yet their final location but the woofers are not what they used to be. i hooked them up to my mcintosh mc2300 and they do better but there is that sda phasing, i don't like. i am going to buy repalcements, end of story but that phasing thing with the sda xover....2 thumbs down
  • rodman_sda
    edited September 2006
    Options
    it is an integrated amp, and it didn't run out of power, being an audiophile yourself you know that great things most difinetly happen at low power as well.
  • rodman_sda
    edited September 2006
    Options
    i don't like the sda "sound" it does things with phase. let me hook up my own sytem backwards if you will. these have the same drivers as the 10b minus tweets. they sound okay and as a kid i thought they were great. my hard thrashing is probably what i hear in the woofers today, my bad.
  • rodman_sda
    edited September 2006
    Options
    it is all hooked up correctly. my abuse of these is just now showing....
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Good luck with the CRS's. They are certainly worth investing in new woofers if this is the problem. Let us know how it works out.

Carl
    Carl

• F1nut
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I'm speechless.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Moron parade in full swing...
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I've been munching popcorn on the sofa waiting for the Ratshack woofer upgrade.
  • rodman_sda
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I thank everyone for their input good..and (ahem) bad. I got 4 new woofers from polk. They have the same bolt pattern but the front basket is a little different, no consequence. They now perform as they once did, bass and seperation is still funky (using the Mcintosh MC-2300), I think the seperation angle may be a little too steep. Polk pushed me into tweeter upgrades, even saying to replace the main one only but I am working out a deal (meaning the wife) for a Marantz 8B and an Audio Research SP8 pre. I took these to my "tech's" house to see how they would sound with the above listed equipment and, wow!! Still hearing that funky seperation that makes everything work or leaves you guessing. Anyway for those that are fussing about watts, no need. These sound great with the 35 watts this amp delivers.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I think the seperation angle may be a little too steep.

Does that mean you have the speakers toed in?

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited September 2006
    Options
    This just keeps on getting more entertaining...
  • rodman_sda
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I mean the seperation angle of the crossover itself. There is a predetermined phase discrepancy that was calculated into this crossover design. My guess is that it's based at 15' as the number, the connecting cable is this length. If you have sda speakers you notice that there is more bass if you balance 100% to one side. Hook a pair or regular speakers such that one side is correct and the other is backwards, you'll notice the same thing...sort of (the SDA crossover cheats you though, complimenting the sound field with output from the other speaker and thus increasing bass sound using both speakers). The SRS models use the same concept but in another fashion, this crossover is far more complex. I will have to do some digging on this but the crossover they used did the same things but in an exotic way. I have an old Carver model C-1 that did the same thing with the sound using active controls. Bob Carver was doing this much earlier with Phase Linear and kept touting it as "hologram/holographic" imaging. The phase angle was not as steep and in a few models came with adjustable or set variations for seperation and image rejection. I have found that this speaker has a somewhat finiky dispositon to it's placement, almost as much as Bose 901's.
  • rodman_sda
    edited September 2006
    Options
    tRRRoyyeEEE DEeeeee you can kiss my?????????////
  • TroyD
    edited September 2006
    Options
    doo bee doo bee doo.......
  • F1nut
    edited September 2006
    Options
    The cable came in different lenghts, some up to 25 or 30 feet. Kinda blows your theory. They actually sound best between 6 to 8 feet apart. The crossover cheats you??? It is designed to send a crosstalk cancellation signal, not increase the bass rsesponse. All SDA crossovers are basically the same with changes made for the spec of the drivers/tweeters and for the number of drivers. Actually, SDA speakers are some of the easiest to set up for placement.

I agree with BDT, very entertaining. doo bee doo bee doo.......

President of Club Polk

• rodman_sda
    edited September 2006
    Options
    that is why it's a "theory". i have have played with the placement you recommended and they do sound considerably better at 8' than 15'. as you have stated the "crosstalk cancellation signal" is the premier of this design but it is really the same signal out of phase and thus cancels some of the bass output. room acoustics, placement, associated equipment, personal preference, and pompous opinions (the experienced ear, don't we all have the best one...) are what are we ultimately define what is good and bad. these speaker rocked in the day for me and were a pride for my father. these now belong to me and even though they don't meet my expectations they have a load of sentimental value and don't sound terrible. I thank you for your valued input.
  • rodman_sda
    edited September 2006
    Options
    When i told a friend of mine about joining this forum he heavily discouraged me. He said the that extreme members (you have over 8000 posts) of club polk generally fall into 3 categories;
    1. disgruntled ex polk employees ready to blog at any given opportunity.
    2. caucasian males that are 50+ and in middle management(forever) that are either unhappily married or divorced.
    3. chronic masturbators living in their mother’s basement (see#2)

i have seen some semblence of genuine commentary to many of your previous posts but am still guessing if you are 1,2, or 3...

knowing you are one to have the last word, good day to you sir, we will never cross paths again, good luck