SDA SRS tweeters shutting down with minimal wattage

Options
beemers417
beemers417 Posts: 34
edited September 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Anyone out there ever have this happen? How to fix?:confused:
Original SRS models with SL-2000 tweets. Or, is it in the crossover?

This is my third set of srs's and I never had this problem until now.

HISTORY:

1986 Heard set of SDA 1's. WOW!!!

TIME TO BUY.

1987... sda srs 2 these babys cranked. didn't have enough money for the big boys.

1998... sda srs 2.3TL SR Kicked butt... never had a problem.

2006... Finally found a pair of SRS's within a stones throw. Problems... within 1 hour.

low volume sound great. Over 30w , problems with the tweets in approx. 30 minutes..Help, gots lots o Pink Floyd to play among other stuff.

Running a bi-amped system. Carver TFM-35 on the tweets. TFM-45 on the mids. swapped them , same results.

Z
Post edited by beemers417 on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Welcome to the Club Polk Forums beemers417 (Z)! Glad to have a big time Polk owner here!

Your tweeters are probably shutting down because of a bad polyswitch. Which is in the crossover board as a tweeter protection device. What is a little concerning though is that it is happening with all of the tweeters???? I would expect one polyswitch to go bad, but two?? I dunno, could happen i guess. Polk can provide you replacements. If you handy with a soldering iron, it's a simple fix. You can also remove the polyswitch and replace it with a jumper. I wouldn't do this though if you intend to crank the speakers up to extremely loud volumes.
    Carl

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,846
    edited September 2006
    Options
    At what volume level does this occur, less than halfway or more than halfway?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Are those Carver amps non-common ground?

Carl
    Carl

• beemers417
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Tweets are shutting down after approx 30 minutes at 40 watts./ Loud but not earth shattering. carver amps are common ground.

Z
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Have you considered cutting down your listening time to 29 minutes?....sorry, bad joke;)
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2006
    Options
    beemers417 wrote:
    Tweets are shutting down after approx 30 minutes at 40 watts./ Loud but not earth shattering. carver amps are common ground.

Z

Most of the time an amp isn't using more than a few watts, so are you saying 40 watts peak or continuous? What I really want to know is the position of the volume knob on your pre amp.

Joe, I laughed :D

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• beemers417
    edited September 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Most of the time an amp isn't using more than a few watts, so are you saying 40 watts peak or continuous? What I really want to know is the position of the volume knob on your pre amp.

Joe, I laughed :D

Hi,

Bit more complicated than volume knob position on this preamp.(Carver C-16) The CD player has gain (490t),and the amp has gain (TFM-35). With the cd and the amp at 100% output, The preamp is at approx 3 out of 10 on the dial with 1 being on the bottom left minimal output(7 O'clock) and 10 being on the right max output. (5 O'clock). The 40 w is continuous and the peak is approx. 60 w depending on the program. I expected this kind of volume with minimal wattage.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Carl gave you the best advise. Get new polyswitches from Polk Customer Service. 30 minute fix. They "wear out" over time and from tripping, then it takes very little to trip them. The previous owner probably drove them to tripping many times.

I replaced them in my SRS about a year ago and have never tripped them again at insane volume levels.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2006
    Options
    In that case, I agree that you should change the polyswitches.

President of Club Polk

• beemers417
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. I'm on it:cool: Thanks guys. Great help.