Can DVD's go bad??

Options
RBreak
RBreak Posts: 31
edited November 2002 in Music & Movies
I rented a DVD monday night, watched it in Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, everything sounded great. I rented another wednesday night (Harts War) from blockbuster, and I could not get anything from the audio to work except PLII. I have a Denon AVR2802 that has an auto detection system, I have watched many, many DVD's and have never had a problem before. I tried everything on the receiver and the DVD player (bitstream, PCM, etc.) but no luck. I started stressing out thinking my 6 month old receiver maybe was **** up somehow, so to check I put in a different DVD, and everything worked fine. I put in several other DVD's and they all worked fine also, immediately connecting to their correct audio types (Dolby Dig. or DTS). I put the Harts War DVD back in, and the audio went right back to PLII. So I'm thinking there was something wrong with the coding on the DVD, so that the receiver could not get the right signal and was defaulting to PLII? Has anyone else experienced anything like this from a DVD? It was my first DVD failure, I was niavely believing digital DVD's where all perfect (ha), the infallible technology!
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this and what they thought might have caused it. Thanks for any responses or info.
Post edited by RBreak on

Comments

• NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Yes, DVD can go bad, sometimes is very bad and doesn't play in any player, in your case, the DD track is bad so it didnn't pick up, instead it default to PCM track and youcan only get your receiver to swich to DPL II when it received the signal. Bring the disc back to Blockbuster and exchange for another one, your problem will go away.
  • RBreak
    RBreak Posts: 31
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I was very relieved when the other DVD's worked fine. At first, when I couldn't get DD to work, I was sure it was the receiver. For a little while I was ready to throw the Denon in the ditch behind the house (still working on the anger management issue...). Thanks again, if it happens in the future I'll handle it much better now that I know what it is.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Maybe Troy or Russ rubbed it between the crack of their ****. They have been known to do that you know...................

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2002
    Options
    my coppy of the matrix has a green spot when the agent walks in to capture morfeous in the achents shoe