Must sacrifice 1985 SDA-SRS

Options
kmac2
kmac2 Posts: 34
edited September 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I've tried my best to hang on to these, but financial circumstances have forced my decision.

First off I don't have the equipment to post photos of these speakers, but I will answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability.

Some of you may remember me being here a year ago when I was first thinking of selling them. We bought these in 1985 as a housewarming gift to ourselves. They were "special occasion" speakers and my husband's favorite component out of an array of electronics. Two and half years ago he died, and now am left with no choice but to sell them. It's important to me that these speakers are given a new home where they are appreciated for what they are. This is why I have come here. You all speak the familiar language of electronics and stereo components I became so familiar with from my husband. (Twentyfive years ago many ofm our dates consisted of spending the afternoon at Pecars or Almas electronics. (Detroit area) I don't pretend to understand it all, but I recognize it when I see/hear it. I can't think of a better group of people to present these to.
I don't know how to grade these on a number scale so I will describe the physical condition I have observed.

There are about 7 small nubs, not so much as to be "pulls", on the upper left side of the left channel's front cloth cover.
Three of the mid range speaker cones on the right channel look like someone pushed them in with their thumb, no cracks, but indented.
I haven't cleaned them, so they're dusty. I figured it best to leave that to someone that knows better than myself how to do that without damaging or discoloring anything. I also didn't want to appear as though I was tyring to make them look "new".
Each speaker has four leveling feet.
The isophase crossover cable is present.
I do not have the original packing boxes.
I do not have the manual.

You all know about the guts, and the sound personality of these speakers so there's nothing I can add to any of that.

The weight and bulk of these speakers require the buyer to pick them up or arrange their own shipping.

2000. obo
Post edited by kmac2 on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Are you still in the Detroit area? I don't see a location other than the mentioning of Detroit in the post.

Sorry to hear of you loss and circumstances. I'm sure someone here will take them off your hands and give them a good home :)
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • kmac2
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Thank You.
    I'm between Lansing and Grand Rapids.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Sorry for your circumstance, and thanks for the interest in finding the SDA SRS a loving home. A couple of suggestions:

Take pictures--even with a disposable film camera. Have them developed at a facility that will give you digital images of the pictures on a CD.

Make sure the pictures include the front, back (especially the speaker binding post area and label (there should be about a 4"x6" label on each speaker back), and anything you deem potential damage.

Post the pictures here. It's easy to do.

Do some searching on eBay, Audiogon, AudioAsylum, etc. for comparable speakers and their asking price. You may very well find a buyer at your asking price of $2000, but I'm doubtful it will be here. Not trying to be disrespectful, just real. As a general rule of thumb (and there are always exceptions), used electronics of that vintage will bring about 1/3 of original MSRP.

Best wishes with your sale!
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Yeah, pictures are very important if you want to sell them. Borrow a friend's digital camera if you have to. Once you post pics, maybe some of the old timers can help you price them properly or provide you with referral sources for potential buyers if no one grabs them here.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • kmac2
    edited September 2006
    Options
    It may take a few days to get some pictures up.

Information on pricing these speakers is far and few between. I was relying on some suggestions I had gotten a year ago, and from a few stereo shops that deal in preowned equipment. I've been to the places named here with little luck. I did finally come across a short list refering to some sales between 04/05. I'm not looking to make a killing on these, just a fair deal. Working with the information I was given by others, and offering the "obo" I thought I was in the ballpark.

In light of what I found tonight, i'm adjusting the asking price to 1300.

Karen
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Karen, sorry about the loss of your husband. I remember you being here last year and thinking about selling these Polk speakers.

I think your adjusted asking price in more in line with what these speakers usually sell for these days. You may or may not get that price.. but it's a good place to start. $2000 was to steep for them.

Make sure whoever buys these from you.. has the means to transport them from your home to theirs. They are extremely heavy speakers... and need either a van or truck to transport them. They require two strong men to move each one. It's not advised to ship these speakers.. shipping could damage them in transport, either internally or externally.

Good luck with your sale.. come back and post any other questions you may have.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Best of luck Karen, good to see you back!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2