engine noise!!!!

bm8998
bm8998 Posts: 12
edited October 2001 in Car Audio & Electronics
please help!! I HAVE BAAAD NOISE WHICH GOT WORSE WHEN I INSTALLED MY CROSS OVER. IT SOUNDS LIKE A TURBO ON STEROIDS!!! I HAVE A GOOD GROUND TO THE CHASSIS AND GOOD CONNECTIONS ON THE POSITIVE SIDE. I HEAR ABOUT GROUND LOOP ISOLATERS, CAN THIS HELP? DO I NEED ONE FOR EACH SET OF COAXIALS? ANY INFO. OR IDEAS WILL BE GREATELY APPRECIATED!!! P.S. SHOULD I RUN THE NEGATIVE TO THE BATTERY?
Post edited by bm8998 on

Comments

• AcuraLegend
    AcuraLegend Posts: 10
    edited October 2001
    If there is one thing that I can't stand, its noise. It eats away at me. I haven't had much trouble with it in my setups but here are a few pointers. Keep your grounds a short as possible, and if your running multiple amps ground them at the same point. Also the better patch cords you have the better. I used to have an old punch 100ix hooked up and I only got noise when I used high level inputs. So avoid using high level inputs if you can. Also another thing to remember is to keep power and patch cords seperated. For example run the power down the sides of the car, and the patch cords down the middle. This has always worked for me. I've never had to use ground loop isolators, so I wouldn't be the one to give you advise on them. Running the ground back to the battery may help, but I'd to it as a last resort. Also try to determine where the noise is by unplugging your patch cords while the amps and car are on, If the noise stops when they are unplugged, you've just found your noise. If it continues, its most likely your ground. Hope this helps you out.

Allerick B.
    93 Black Acura Legend 6-spd Manual. Soon to be Pioneer Deh-9300 Head Unit Deq-9200 Equalizer and DSP, Streetwire interconnects. PPI PC4400 Chrome(50x4 rms) and PPI PC2400 Chrome (100x2 rms or 400x1) MOMO 6.5" Component Highs up from, Infinity Kappa 6x9's in the rear
  • bm8998
    bm8998 Posts: 12
    edited October 2001
    thanks for the info. Alerick, I will try the pacth cords., I will be visiting my buddies installation shop tomorrow for some troubleshooting!!!