Old Amp, possible mods

Options
AndyGwis
AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
edited August 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hey Guys,

I think one of the coupling caps on my B&K Pro-10MC pre may need to be replaced. Is this a DIY job, or should I take it somewhere? I was thinking I may get some other bells and whistles upgraded as well, if I have a pro work on it and the price is right.

Outside of opening up a phone book or googling, where do you find someone to do this type of work? Also, if I was to try to replace the part myself, where would I look for it? B&K does not sell parts, and it's $65/hr labor + shipping + parts to use their repair service, which for a piece that runs about $150-250 used sounds a little silly.

Thanks for your help! It's a yellow, two-sided, cylindrical cap that was identified as a GG coupling capacitor by another forum member.
Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
Post edited by AndyGwis on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,855
    edited August 2006
    Options
    If it has the uF value and volts printed on it, you can buy a replacement at any number of online audio parts shops like Parts ConneXion and Sonic Craft. As for other mods, I think you'll find your money better spent on a better piece of gear considering the actual value of the B&K.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Thanks. I'll pull the piece and order a replacement. I agree it wouldn't be worth it to put much money in this piece.

But, for what it is, it sounds great! Hard to find a better solid state pre (that I can think of) for $150 - $250, especially when you have the matching amp.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850