Lsi 25's Stay or Go?

jrausch
jrausch Posts: 510
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Does anyone think the 25's will be short lived? I have not heard too many reviews about the 25's. The 15's seem to get more press and I would think they are outselling the 25's in a big way. I realize there is a market, but how big can it be? The 25's are supposed to be the top of the line and the ultimate. They come off as an unwanted compromise, too expensive for bass that does not hold the true sound of the main design. There seems to be a very small number of Polk members that actually own these. The 9's and the 15's in my opinion are the best deal.
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Post edited by jrausch on

Comments

• begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited November 2002
    I don't think Polk expects their 25's to be their top seller but rather for that niche customer who doesn't want another speaker(sub) to clutter the room.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • jltrdavis
    jltrdavis Posts: 78
    edited November 2002
    Why is the recommended amplifier power for the LSi25, 20-300 watts, and the LSi15 only, 20-250 watts. Since the LSi15 actually has one more passive driver wouldn't you think it would handle more power than the LSi25? That's always seemed strange to me.

-Jason
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    I wouldn't worry much about the rating game.............

The Lsi25's are not being pushed by polk for some reason........I don'[t have an answer to that......the Lsi 15's are one hell of a speaker........I feel the best polk ever made for sound quality alone.

I'd like to hear/read a responce from Polk them selves on this question........I think about it.............they are powered.......I also heard Polk was thinking of getting away from Powered towers...who knows..........I'd like to know myself........

Personally I didn't even consider them when I upgraded from rt to lsi.....due to the fact they where powered and didn't feel the need to walk that path again...........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited November 2002
    I would also like to hear from polk on this. I would also be interested to hear what they have to say about dropping the powered towers. I would be one of those who would have to look elsewhere for speakers if I upgrade, considering my wife will not allow me to put a sub in the room. I know there are a few people in the same situation I am.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    Schumach,
    No sub? Why not? Is it a matter of size? If so there are options out there for small subs that are very unobtrusive(sp?). I'm using a Sunfire MkII that is about 1' square and very easy to hide without any loss of performance. It ain't the cheapest sub on the market but the performance is second to none!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2002
    On paper only! Although a lot of people seem to like the SVS line up, I was really turned off by the looks of 'em. To each his own I suppose, but I did not want black barrel in my room! Besides, my Sunfire has a 2700watt amp!
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2002
    I actually feel the LSi25's sound quite a bit better than the LSI15's with a $1000 sub. Maybe the LSi25's won't go subsonic, but I felt they provided richer, more detailed sound.
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2002
    When my wife and I went to the "Listening Night" and met Matt polk there were a pair of 25's set up for 2 channel demo's. They sounded fantastic! No sub needed at all. But for multi speaker HT use the addition of a sub is ALMOST required to really get the most LFE from the source material. A second room had been set up the same as my HT, except they were using a Polk PSW650 sub.

If you are looking for a 2 channel only set up, Lsi25's win hands down, but if you are going the multi speaker route the Lsi15's with a seperate sub makes more sense and produces better results. (At least to my ears.)
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited November 2002
    Agree with ya Frank. I'm sure the Svs sub is great but looks gotta count some how, right ?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited November 2002
    Frank,

I do not have much room, but the main reason is she does not like the look of them. I agree that the RT1000p's could use a sub, but this works for now. I am happy she let me get the CS400i, I almost ended up with the CS245i. The 245 is not bad, but the 400 is IMO much better.

My brother has the LSI 25's and I have found them to be rather nice. I like the fact that they have the LFE port, unlike the 1000's I have. My brother and I played with the settings and found that the everything set to small and sub on works great.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Besides, my Sunfire has a 2700watt amp!

Frank.......Is this an internal amp? HOw much are those lil Sunfires goin for anyway?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    brettw22, this link I provided my new post will answer your questions about Franks Sub. Thats a bad puppy right there!

http://www.audio-ideas.com/interview/carver.html
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2002
    ATC,
    Freq. response is 18 to 100 Hz
    110 db peak
    bore of 8" - stroke 2.35"
    Total air volume displacement is over 235 cubic inches.
    11" x11"x11"
    Weight: 48Lbs

Never bottoms out, nothing else holds a candle to it!!

The new version is a MKIV and retails for around $1500, I bought the store demo for half that!!

http://www.sunfire.com/products/index.html
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2002
    Frank,
    does your sunfire mate well with LSi15? how do you charecterize the sound? thanks for your feedback. fh
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2002
    Polkatese,
    Let's see...basically it goes

BOOM THUMP-A-THUMP BOOM BOOM! :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Actually it is clear, tight, and zero distortion. The instructions for setting the peak bass level on my receiver state that the sub should be turned up until distortion is heard and then backed down slightly....I never heard any distortion!!! And neither did the neghbors 2 blocks away!:D

Lets just say that i cant watch U-571 at reference level anymore, I'm tired of cleaning the mess out of my shorts!

As for matching up to the Lsi's, Made in Audio Heaven!!
  • polkatese
    edited November 2002
    Frank, yep, I can hear it from here..:D

"Lets just say that i cant watch U-571 at reference level anymore, I'm tired of cleaning the mess out of my shorts! "

I thought those were from staring at LiquidSound's racks...:D
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    I have a friend that has a Sunfire, and he actually has scratched the finish on top of it, from a 20lb dumbell nonetheless.

He has hardwood floors in his pier-and-beam house, and he was forced to add the weight on top, as the sub would actually MOVE across the floor during some intense passages in music/movies.

Hell of a sight to see a 50lb 11x11x11 box move itself across the floor, I **** you not, and I'm not talking small movements either, this effer damn near danced.

I don't think it's the most musical sub out there, but for shear impact in a small package - I've demoed no equal (including SVS, taking size into consideration).

I finally convinced him to put a mousepad between the weight and the finish, to prevent further battle scars.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • polkatese
    edited November 2002
    wow, you shittin' me, how loud was that?
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2002
    Like I said earlier, It will crank out 110db!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    It's a badass little sub with alot of impact........agreed not matched in output at it's size by anyone.

I also agree it's not the most musical sub on the planet......but nontheless, with carefull setup,music can be achived...
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.