Filling Speaker Stands

Options
janmike
janmike Posts: 6,146
edited August 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I just finished filling my Plateau Speaker Stands with lead shot and it really help smooth things out. I noticed the bass to be more solid and the vocals not as hollow. The stands are 23" high with metal tubes and am quite impressed in the difference. Oh, I have LSi9's on the stands. Just another little tweak.
Michael ;)
In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
Post edited by janmike on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Lead shot! Recommended by all the heavyweights.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I always figured you as a kitty litter kind of guy Jesse....

I have all my stands filled with urine and fecal matter, 1:2 ratio.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I use sand in mine. For cost reasons and I figured it's just small rti speakers.

Ya' think I'm missing something noticeable?
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,195
    edited August 2006
    Options
    How much of a difference will $40 stands...to higher quality metal stands make? I have Lsi7's
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,294
    edited August 2006
    Options
    aaharvel wrote:
    I use sand in mine. For cost reasons and I figured it's just small rti speakers.

Ya' think I'm missing something noticeable?

Yes, the stench of stands filled with urine and fecal matter, 1:2 ratio.

Of course, that's urinalysis, not mine.

:rolleyes:
    Sal Palooza
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited August 2006
    Options
    How much of a difference will $40 stands...to higher quality metal stands make? I have Lsi7's

probably stability. My question is what's the differences between sand vs. leadshot? If everyone thinks the difference is noticeable, then I might go out and purchase some.

Mr.Blue Light, I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I do, HILARIOUS.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2006
    Options

I find that Dachsand turds do very well in the treble regions, but to help your woofers out, you'd better go Great Dane or larger. Cat urine is definately out as it will kill your tweeter. Of course Russturds help everything.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I'm trying to have some petrified by Polkfest to hand out as door prizes.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2006
    Options
    And I am considering one of these events in the future?

Sand vs Lead Shot. Not sure. Sand is way too messy for me.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,620
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Sand doesn't doesn't even come to the weight of lead shot. Fill the stands outside because lead shot is a **** to clean up if you spill any.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Lead shot, breakfast of champions.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited August 2006
    Options
    You can use both. lead shot for weight and stability and sand to fill the gaps left by the lead shot.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2006
    Options

Oh, this one almost made me spit out my 0 sugar 0 carbs Sprite Zero!