SL2000 tweeters vs SL3000

capitan100
capitan100 Posts: 172
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I have a pair of SDA-2B's. I have been reading on this post for the past couple of days, and notice a lot of people talking about and upgrading their SL tweeters to the SL3000's. I just pulled out my tweeter to see which one I had. I have the SL2000's. I wanted to know the difference between these two and how much better sounding the SL3000's are. Also what is the price of the SL3000's? Thanks in advance
Home Theater
Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
CS400 - Center channel
RT2000i - Fronts
RT1000i - Surrounds
a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
Sony V555ES receiver
Sony DVP-S7700
Polk SDA-2B
Polk Monitor 5
Thiel 03a
B&W 2001 ZMF
Signet SL-250 B/U
a/d/s L400e
Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
Pioneer Elite Big Screen
Post edited by capitan100 on

Comments

• axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited October 2002
    The main difference is the SL-3000 has a "tri-laminate" coating on the domes and the response is a much brighter sound than the SL-2000.

The problem you would have in upgrading to this model is you would need to make some crossover component changes. THe 2B's crossovers are designed to the SL-2000 specifically and the SL-3000 would work, though not up to specs without the changes in the crossover network.

You can probably have Ken at Polk give you a parts list and schematics for the upgrades, or maybe they would even do the component changing and tweeking for you.

I would not recommend merely changing to this tweeter as you will not get the full spectrum or dynamic range the 3000's are capable of.

Price wise, there is not much of a difference and the replacements Polk sells are not manufactured with the material that was used originally in construction. There is no longer anyone who makes the original mix of the laminates, though the replacements have the same specs.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Peace!
    Joe
  • capitan100
    edited October 2002
    Thanks axeman. I have the cs400 in the center. I believe it has the silk dome tweeter. Will it match good with my SDA-2B's? According to the Polk website on the vintage speaker page. It says it matches well with the cs400i. You think it should be the same match? Personally I like the sound of it, but an expert opinion would help. I run SACD a lot, so I want it to be as seamless as possible. I don't want to get flamed here, b/c I know I am not using the SDA's to it's fullest capability. I rarely run the SDA's in 2 channel stereo mode. I like to use the DSP mode and run the surround speakers while listening to regular cd's as well.
    Home Theater
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen
  • axeman
    edited October 2002
    I don't see any reason why what you have now would not work well as it is.

I cannot remember the difference on the lines that have the "i" designation, although I believe it has something to do with powered bass or something like that.

The 2b's and the CS-400 would seem to compliment each other very well in my opinion. I am no expert in using the DSP while listening to CD's and what not, but I would recommend you DO utilize the SDA's to their potential, as you may not know what you are missing.

My current set up for audio/video consists of my 1.2 TL's for mains in theater and 2-way stereo, then I have RTA-8 TL's for rears in home theater applications. I was going to purchace a CS-1000 for the center, but I feel the built in stuff in my Panasonic 56" HDTV serves very well and suprised me with the sound it produces. After listening to it with the DSP set-up, I delayed my CS-1000 purchase as a matter of practicallity.

One day I will get it as I am a "Classic" Polkster through and through, but for now, I have no complaints about the service I receive from the current set up.

Good luck and please let us know which route you take.

Peace!
    Joe
  • capitan100
    edited October 2002
    Thanks axeman,

I considered the cs1000, but my concerns were with the powered sub in the center. I was afraid it would rattle my big screen. Any concerns there? I have heard that the cs1000 is an awesome speaker. good luck

I enjoy my classic sda's too. I have considered getting rid of them and possibly getting the LSi series..or the rt2000 or rt3000 speakers....for the fronts. just can't find any good one's for sale
    Home Theater
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen
  • axeman
    edited October 2002
    I would think the felt bottoms on the CS1000 would help dampen the effects on your screen.

You would be wise not to rid yourself of the classics, as from experience, you would regret it in the long run.

Joe