I pulled t trigger and picked up an SDA 2.3 set

Options
beef316
beef316 Posts: 154
edited August 2006 in Vintage Speakers
You may remember me asking a few questions about these a couple weeks ago. Well, I went back to the pawn shop today and bought them. The wood and cloth is perfect, but I do have to replace 4 drivers. Overall I am very happy. I can't wait to get thereplacement drivers and the SDA cable! Here are some pics:

444377_37_full.jpg

444377_38_full.jpg

444377_39_full.jpg

444377_40_full.jpg
2004 IASCA Spring Break Nationals Champion - Amateur Street
2003 IASCA World Finals Runner Up - Amateur Street
Certified IASCA Judge
Post edited by beef316 on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Cool, congrats!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2006
    Options
    thety llok like a nice pair, have fun
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I hope you enjoy them as much as Hoosier is enjoying his beer tonight.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Drivers are easy, aesthetics rule the day. It looks like a fantastic pair of 2.3's...have fun.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Congrats on your new 2.3's! I have a set and I love them.

Did you get the interconnect cable with them? If not, the four drivers you think that you need to replace may actually work with the cable.
    Carl

• F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Carl is right, without the cable you're short four drivers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2006
    Options
    :p good times, good times
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • beef316
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I don't have the cable and I realize the SDA drivers will not function w/o it.
    Certified IASCA Judge
  • schwarcw
    edited August 2006
    Options
    So do you need four drivers or are your drivers not working because you have no cable?

If you have a pin/blade interconnect, just run a 16 guage or larger multistrand wire to the pin connections on each speaker. The pin connection carries a signal, the blade connection does not. You can use a push type pin connector with a crimp end available from Radio Shack. This is probably the cheapest way to get an interconnect cable.

Carl
    Carl

• schwarcw
    edited August 2006
    Options
    BTW, welcome to the Club Polk Forums! We're glad that you can join us! Keep posting and asking questions, our members would like to help.

Carl
    Carl

• beef316
    edited August 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    So do you need four drivers or are your drivers not working because you have no cable?

If you have a pin/blade interconnect, just run a 16 guage or larger multistrand wire to the pin connections on each speaker. The pin connection carries a signal, the blade connection does not. You can use a push type pin connector with a crimp end available from Radio Shack. This is probably the cheapest way to get an interconnect cable.

Carl

Thanks for the heads up on the cable. I actually created my own using some 14ga Ixos cable I had left over from the HT wiring. It looks cheesy, but it works for now.

I am actually going to need 3 MW6513 drivers and a MW6510. It looks like the previous owner replaced these drivers himself as the dates are all from 2004. The 3 MW6513s have torn surrounds. It looks like a result of the screw catching the edge of the surround and twisting it until they tore. I can understand letting this happen once, but all 3 out of 4 drivers that were previously replaced had this problem. I will try to be more careful than the previous owner when I swap out the drivers. It also appears that the 3/4 MW6513s were wired out of phase. :confused:

On another odd note, one of the SDA drivers was replaced w/ a MW6503. I wonder how that happened? Anyway, does anyone want to trade a MW6510 for a MW6503? :cool:
    Certified IASCA Judge
  • beef316
    edited August 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    BTW, welcome to the Club Polk Forums! We're glad that you can join us! Keep posting and asking questions, our members would like to help.

Carl

Thanks! I know I am going to need help.
    Certified IASCA Judge
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2006
    Options
    i can't see the pictures
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • beef316
    edited August 2006
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    i can't see the pictures

Looks like I need to find a new host!
    Certified IASCA Judge
  • schwarcw
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Call Ken Swauger at Polk Customer Service and explain the situation. I don't know the numbers of the new replacement drivers. Sometimes the drivers show up on eBay. Good luck!

Carl
    Carl

• F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    On another odd note, one of the SDA drivers was replaced w/ a MW6503. I wonder how that happened?

Could be because Polk no longer stocks the 6510 and suggests the 6503 as it's replacement. I don't think they are stocking the 6513 either.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2006
    Options
    F1 speaks the truth....additionally, when the current stock runs out....Polk has chosen to support the 6511, 6503 & 6502. If you want drop in replacements, you should think about that now.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • beef316
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Ugh, the wife has decided that she realy doesn't like these in the living room. Any suggestions winning that war?
    Certified IASCA Judge
  • F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    You could try telling her that these are smaller than some other ones you were thinking about, but thought about her and decided to get the smaller ones.

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I can store them for you. I will even knock the dust off.

RT1
  • beef316
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I can store them for you. I will even knock the dust off.

RT1

Thanks!
    Certified IASCA Judge
  • schwarcw
    edited August 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    You could try telling her that these are smaller than some other ones you were thinking about, but thought about her and decided to get the smaller ones.

Love this approach! LOL!
    Carl

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Take the wife on a holiday. :rolleyes:

If these are for HT how about a larger TV or projection screen to make them appear smaller?

These hold their value. Tell her they are an investment.
  • beef316
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Polk65 wrote:

If these are for HT how about a larger TV or projection screen to make them appear smaller?

QUOTE]

You are right, a 65" should do the trick.
    Certified IASCA Judge