Paging Gidrah

Options
rlw
rlw Posts: 231
edited October 2002 in Music & Movies
Originally posted by gidrah on another planet
rlw - Sun Ra is one of the most varied artists out there. To suggest anything, I'd need to know more about your tastes and more about Herman "Sonny" Blount.

Yeah, I need to learn more about both myself. Maybe someday I'll get one or the other nailed down.

Do you get into any other "out/free" jazz? I discovered Cecil Taylor this summer, and love his work. I also just picked up stuff by SpaceWays, Inc.; Willem Breuker Kollektief; and the latest Billy Bang "Vietnam: The Aftermath".
Post edited by rlw on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Unfortunately, no. Sun Ra is about the extent of my experience. I've only been into Jazz for a couple of years. **** Brew is my current favorite. It'll probably be my favorite for a long time. I've been listening to some techno/electronica lately courtesy of public radio. It's all Jazz to me.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited October 2002
    Options
    "**** Brew" is great stuff.

Right now, I'm upstairs in my study; Cassandra Wilson is playing downstairs on the big system, her voice floats up now and then. IMO, she's one of the best of the younger jazz divas - I think she outshines Diana Krall, Norah Jones, and Jane Monheit by far.

Patricia Barber has her moments, but is a bit soul-less.

Madeleine Peyroux is good - but she only did 1 release back in '96.