SDA problem... maybe

Options
Poee7R
Poee7R Posts: 904
edited August 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Ok, so i drive and pick the speakers up. They look alot better than the pictures would have you believe. Stop by radio shack on the way home for parts to make the interconnect, score. Get home and get them in the house then it dawns on me, Two LEFT channel speakers....

Is this gonna be an issue like im starting to think it will, or can i get by this somehow?

help... please

Dave
Once again we meet at last.
Post edited by Poee7R on

Comments

• sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited August 2006
    Options
    not sure...but, i think you have to swap the position of the mid bass drivers on one speaker. make sure the sda driver is on the inside. again, not sure, but that should do it for ya:D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Mike is headed in the right direction. You actually just need to swap the wires, not the drivers as they are all 6510's. Before you do that, check how they are wired. You'll find two boards inside, one (the larger) is the stereo board, the other is the dimensional board. You want the wires from the stereo board to go to the outside driver, the wires from the dimensional board to the inside driver. After you get them wired correctly, permanently mark the right channel as such. If you need more help, pics will help us.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Poee7R
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Mike & F1... you guys rock.

Thank you both.

I pulled the drivers on both sets to make sure it hadnt already been done and rewired. The guy i bought them from didnt know what the extra jack on the bottom was for so i was fairly certain they hadnt been opened, but its always good to check.

I owe you fella's a couple cold ones, if your ever in the Raleigh area let me know so i can hook ya up. ;)

Dave
  • F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    So, I take it you've got them working properly.......glad to help.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Poee7R wrote:
    I pulled the drivers on both sets to make sure it hadnt already been done and rewired.
    Did you happen to note the driver numbers on the back of the coil housings? If they were both the same (MW6510), you have 2As. I suspect they are the 2As since, as I noted in another thread, the interconnect jack is back panel mounted. And, the jack is blade/blade, no?

If not, they're 2Bs and you would need to swap them. The MW6503 are the stereo drivers and the MW6511 are the dimensional drivers in 2Bs.

Enjoy!
  • Poee7R
    edited August 2006
    Options
    In the speaker i changed to the right channel there were two 6510's. But in the other speaker had a 6510 and a 6511, which was actually wired out of phase. Having two lefts with the same wiring order (colors) made that easy to spot. Also the dates on the three 6510's are all from 1987 so im thinking the 6511 was the replacement.

The jack for the interconnect is blade/blade also. So im thinking they are 2A's with a replacement driver. But all the speakers seem in good shape, tacky to the touch and smooth excursion. The tweeters are the silver dome and are intact but i can see myself upgrading them to the silk domes soon. Not harsh but a touch bright.

These speakers seem to have had a tough life, the guy i bought them from said the sounded great etc, but he didnt even realize one set was wired out of phase. Thankfully though nothing is blown. They shall have a good life now. :D

Dave
  • F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Interesting to say the least. You should try to find a 6510 to replace the 6511.

President of Club Polk