SACD player/subwoofer hook up

Options
gright
gright Posts: 22
I have a Sony STR-DE985 receiver which has component audio input for 5.1 channel and a Sony ES SCD-C555ES 5.1 Channel 5 Disc SACD Player. Also recently bought the polk rm 7200 sub/sat to go with this system. Should I hook up the sub through the LFE
out of my receiver or go with the speaker level hook up recommendation that comes with the speakers. I can try it both ways but would appreciate opinions on this.
Help clean up the city, eat a pigeon.
Post edited by gright on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2002
    Options
    LFE is the preferred way. but yeah try out both
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Does the receiver have bass management for the 5.1 analog input? Does the player have bass mgmt? These things can affect how you should set it up.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • gright
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I don't believe the receiver does anything with the 5.1 analog inputs except of course amplify the sound from what I can tell reading the manual. The SACD player does manage all the sounds including the bass and is for multi-channel sacd's as well as stereo sacd's.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Does the SACD player have an off setting for the sub channel w/redirection of .1 bass to fronts, like some receivers have? If not, then wouldn't you have to use the lfe hookup to get the full range of 5.1 SACD sound? I'm winging it here, could be totally off.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • gright
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I haven't even opened the box on the SACD player yet, since I'm waiting till christmas, but I think you can tell it to turn off the sub output. I know it has a setting for four satellites and a sub, but I don't know if if has a setting for two front large speakers and two satellites without a sub or not.
  • capitan100
    capitan100 Posts: 172
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I have a similar setup, albeit diff sony components. I have a sony v555es receiver and a sony 5 disc 650nvp dvd/sacd/cd player. On the DVD setup screen, it allows you to adjust the volume of all the speakers. Keep them all at 0db. It also allows you to adjust the size spaker. Whether it be large or small. This activates the bass redirection circuitry. I would suggest setting them to small, since the satellites can't reproduce bass like the sub can. This will redirect low freq to the sub. If you use the low level inputs, you will not be able to use that function. My receiver also allows you to adjust the size of the speakers. Make sure the DVD and the receiver match. Then my receiver allows you to adjust the crossover point for the sub. If your receiver does NOT allow you to do this, use the filtered input. If your receiver allows you to adjust the subwoofer crossover point, use the unfiltered lfe, because you will be able to adjust the frequency without having to turn the knob on the back of the sub. I'm not sure if your does or not, but mine allows me to do this on the touchscreen rm tp-504 remote. Good luck. You have a nice setup..should sound good. email me directly if what I wrote was too confusing...Bottomline...use the lfe input
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver