I demo'd a pair of RTI150's Tonight and wow

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I found a CC that had them on display only 2 days old they said.
anyhow, well i was switching between the 70's and the 150's and i thought mine were really nice!! These things are really nice, very big, They aren't i guess you call it bright as the 70's and not to much bass as i thought they would be like. My wife at first thought she wouldnt notice any difference, after she seen them and then listened to about 3 cd's of diff music, classical, some jazz and R&B just to test the bass she loves them and thinks we need them as much as i do!!! Yippeeeeee well it won't be until after the holidays i'm sure but thats ok i can wait. anyways i'm no audiophile but they sound great and look great as well, they are about 2 times as deep as my 70's and about 6 or more inches taller they seem anyways..... Hope this has maybe helped someone also
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Just curious about what they were being powered with? Maybe that would be why they didn't have as much bass as you were expecting.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Well actually they did after i opened the case and turned the bass up a tad, But i was happy actually not to hear all bass and no mids and highs. They were useing a HK avr520 receiver,no external amps. I think they would sound better powered with my Onkyo 504, LOL
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I bought some 150s and I love them!! I picked them up last Saturday. They took the place of my old monitor 10s and are powered by a used Carver Tfm-35x. I picked it up at a local pawn shop recently and it has made a BIG difference in my sound. My impulsive and meandering upgrade path this past year has taken me from a Yamaha theater in a box system to a Sony strde 975 (I think that was the model no.), to the Denon 2802. The Denon sounded better than the Sony IMO, but after I had that for a short time, I still wanted more power. I had an old Carver Receiver (130 WPC), so I ran the front pre-outs from the 2802 to the power amp ins on it. Still not satisfied, I started looking for a used amp and ended up with the Carver Tfm -35x (250 WPC). I then ran the rear L/R outs from the Denon to the Carver Receiver ins and am now using that setup, with the monitor 10s for the rear surrounds. The front (csi30) and rear(leftovers from the Yamaha system) centers are hooked to the Denon internal amps. Kinda makeshift, but it works for me. I am using a Toshiba 9200 DVD player with analog outs and direct mode on Denon for music. This sounds much better than the dig. coax out. Movies and multi channel sound much better now as well.

I hope you like the 150s as much as I do. I think they sound great. As pointed out by others here, setup is everything. I thought I had mine pretty much where I wanted them and tried tilting them back a bit last night, I like them even more now.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Steve - Both driven by the TFM-35, what would you say are the differences between the Monitor 10s and the 150s?

Which Monitor 10s? 10s, 10Bs, 10 model 2s. I have the 10Bs and am curious.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I also have the 10Bs. I have had to replace both tweeters over the years and recently replaced the polyswitch tweeter protectors and all the capacitors and resistors with higher quality components. That made a nice improvement in their sound. With the Monitors, I found myself using the Denon in the "stereo" mode instead of direct and letting my DefTech 200 sub contribute with 2 channel listening (at least at higher volume levels). It seemed like I was maybe pushing the drivers harder than they should go when in direct, full range mode. Crossing over at 80 Hz with the Denon EQ seemed to give me the sound I liked but I felt more relaxed about the drivers in the 10bs that way. Maybe they are getting a bit tired from age, I don't know. It was hard to do a real good side by side test when I got the new ones , what with getting them both in the best position and not having quick easy A/B switching available. I guess I could have hooked them both back up to the Denon's internal amps and A/Bd them like that, but after listening to them for awhile, it didn't really seem that important anymore.

After listening as much as possible this week, I must say I like them better than the 10Bs. They sound a lot bigger and yet to me seem very clean and detailed as well. Listening now in Direct mode, with no sub they easily handle the power and sound great. I was able to achieve a soundstage similar to the old ones, but these seem to spread out more than the 10Bs.

I really like the monitors that I bought way back when, but these 150s, to me are a great replacement!
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Great reply! Thank you sir.
    Make it Funky! :)