Can you add bookshelf speaks to towers for better range? Yes/NO?

faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited October 2002 in Speakers
Ok i know i have a awful lot of questions but bare with me as i have learned alot from being this way. LOL
I have the polk rti70's and just got the rti28's for rears, i have the rt15's that i was gonna use for backs, Question.... would i get better range if i stacked the 15's on top the 70's and wired them into the inputs of the 70's. Now i have the 70's BI-amped Not Bi-wired so i have a 2 into 4 output amp so i have a amp channel on each input on the 70's, 165x2 per speak. so i would maybe take the top terminals that only power the tweeter and plug up the rt15's, Is this stupid? or sense less? Just seems you would get the fuller range with the smaller speaks instead of having only 1 tweeter and 2 mid/bass speaks like the 70's have now. Well tonight im heading to a circuit city that i hunted down that has the RTI 150's on display according to their computer, LOL they didn't check but.... anyways let me know if this will work??? Thanks again
eh what the heck here is a picture of my setup, of course the wife has to have it all girlied up, but then i get what i want, Yeah ok put a few dolls on the TV honey, LOL
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• jltrdavis
    jltrdavis Posts: 78
    edited October 2002
    I could give you a bunch of reasons why it might not work well in my opinion but you need to listen to your ears. Go ahead and try it if your so inclined. I'm sure you'll be hooking them back up the way you have them in a matter of minutes but who knows unless you try it.

-Jason
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    seems alittle out of the norm and your prob right, but i wanted a few opinions anyway. Thanks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    I'm not for this Idea.Running 2 sets of speakers as mains.............I just don't have reasons to do this......My question 2 you is why do you really want to do this?Are you not happy with the performance of the system???Feel maybe it's to harsh or bright?
    I'd use the 15's as surround back and run with it.There is so many ways to improve your system.Speaker height will change your front sound stage.......meaning adjusting the front carpet spikes on the rti70's to elevate the front of the speaker.A level is a good tool to use when doing this....keeping the speaker level from side to side but lifting up the front .Tilt if you will.Moving the speakers around helps.Pulling them away from the back wall,all kinds of things,like better interconnects and speaker wire.......adding amps.......I just don't understand the logicd behind adding another set of speakers to the main channels......there has to be a point in the system that is lacking to you in order for you to think this way...................my guess.I never travel down this type of path........not saying your a fool or anything like that, it's just not in my makeup to do wild things with a system.

If your looking for tips in order to improve your system......I have tons..........I can't help with this idea.....sorry dude.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Ok Ok hehe it was just an idea wild as it may seem, No actually i like the system just fine although i don't know what bright or harsh really means in speaker terms the 70's seem alittle heavy on the treble when at high volumes but that could be as simple as a treble lowering, actually i was bored and just fooling around and said i probolly wouldnt do it just wanted ideas, i heard people talking about stacking subs so i figured what the heck.

Well the dumb kid i talked to at Circuit city that said he had the rti150's well after driving 30 minutes in traffic, low and behold they didn't have them ugh!!!!! Oh well i will hunt a CC that does...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    heavy on the trebble is the same meaning as bright or harsh.

The rti150's look pretty cool.
    Dan
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    I just did a post on the 150's, i found a cc that had a set and went tonight and tried them, Wow did they sound nice and much less bright then the 70's. smoother sound and not to much bass as i thought they would have with all the woofs, I am saving for these now.... The wife loved them to so that is a ++++ for me getting them although she "rarely " says no. Unless its money constraints. so maybe first of the year we will be getting these. can't wait.. Thanks Mantis for all the idea's and thoughts seems you are the first on the scene around here and have alot of good idea's to atleast think over. Thanks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    anytime faster100.......I read it,sounds like your digging them......I want to hear them myself,I just haven't had any time to get out there and do some more demoing........works been busy and things are moving faster around here!!!!!
    Dan
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    I hear ya, Well i can taste those things already, LOL
    they look far better in person then just online in a mini pic
    any plans to produce those in cherry???
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited October 2002
    I've stacked two sets of RTI55s for my main speakers, and found they make a huge sound differents for me. I have them setup in serial. I think part of the reason is because I have a very open and large area were my system is at. Plus my ceilings are 11 ft. The two set of speakers just push more air and fill the cubic space better. I've done lots of experimenting with placement and right now I have them set up kind of like the Bose cubes. One set is extreme pigeon toed in and the other set is slightly facing outward. I seem to get a huge sound stage and yet still get pretty good imaging. I think you should play with this idea alittle and have some fun.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Bose cubes out of rt55's...........well that orginal thinking......if it works for yeah man....run with it......I say
    Dan
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited October 2002
    Speaking about stacking speakers...

I am wondering what would be a good sub to use as speaker stand for the LSi9? What is the best way to hook them up?
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    using subs as speaker stands.............whatever floats your boat.

the best way to hook up the lsi9's is bi wiring them.Good high current amp and your off.........if your looking for a sub or sub's to fill in the bottome end with the lsi9's,Id look into REL.....I believe there the most musical sub's around........They hook straight up to the same amp your drivinng your mains with.......balanced speaker level connection....sounds freaky but thats what they do.They also have 2 pre amps, one for music and one for LFE.....you can run them both at the same time with a multichannel system......works out great.

I did this one tricked out double system that used a REL Strata series sub .......ran LFE off the surround system into it, then in the same room a Rotel and Epos 2 channel system using the Balanced speaker level connection....the sub was hooked up to 2 systems.......how cool is that..........I thought that was real cool.It worked great in both systems.............now thats getting your money's worth.
    Dan
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited October 2002
    mantis,

Correct me if I misunderstood your suggestion.

One REL sub is hooked directly to the main left (or right) output, not LFE. The LSi9 is bi-wired from the REL sub.

I am also wondering how would it sound if I add another LSi9 to each side of the main (i.e. 2 LSi9s on top of the sub for each channel). If I do that, should the LSi9s be positioned so that the tweeters be inside or outside? (I am thinking about making the new SDA speakers.)
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    seems like alot of money on lsi 9's to get bigger/better sound when you could just get a bigger speaker like the lsi15, and i wouldn't use a sub as a speaker stand, Thats just my own idea.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Oh mantis, I figured out that the internal amp for the front L/R on the receiver still can be used at the same time as i use the front pre-outs, so i wired the r15's into the internal amp and put them on stands, and the m504 amp i have has a power switch so you can switch it on to try and hear all the speaks r15's and 70's(strictly for testing) you can hear a noticable difference between the 2 sets, although i think i might like the flexibility of being able to ultilize the smaller speakers as mains when needed, like watching TV,cable broadcast, (they seem alittle more sensitive to low volumes, but the problem is i would need a speaker switch i'm thinking so that when i wanted just the 70;s on i could switch off the r15's. This isn't my master plan but just trying to think, I can't buy the RTI150's after thinking for a bit anyways, its way to close to the Holidays and i have 2 kids and family and first of the year we will be getting a new SUV, so it will be atleast April of next year before i can start spending that much anyways.. So whats the advantage of why people use small speaks on stands for Ht sometimes versus large towers??? Ok thats about enough questions for one post.. Thanks and please reply to this , i know sometimes these threads get side tracked.... LOL
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited October 2002
    Check out my site...should answer your question. I started quite a few folks doing the same thing..or similar...

have fun..thats what its all about.. dont be afraid to experiment
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    kn505,
    you did misunderstand my post........
    the way to wire the lsi 9's and a REL sub would be the following..
    hook the lsi 9's with a bi wire cable off the given amp....then wire the REL with the Balanced cable provided with the sub which uses 3 leds right positive, left positive and a common ground.This is wired directly to the same binding posts that the lsi's are wired to the amp.......

Stacking speakers and adding amps to bookshelves for 2 channel listening isn't my cup of tea.....but you can get a good experience out of it with some carefull set up and planning....

faster100,
    the main reason people use small speakers is for space limitations...and not wanting a huge speaker sitting on the floor.Most people but them in book cases,on the wall, in an entertainment rack, etc.Not often speaker stands are used.But you know with a nice sub you can get them to sing real nice.....keep playing around with your setup and find what works for yeah.There really isn't a right or wrong way to do things.......unless I whip out the dusty old MANTIS BOOK on how to do things..LOL.......but anyway it will just make it that much sweater when you do infact upgrade next year.I love it.
    Dan
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited October 2002
    Mantis,

I was following your sub recomendations for the Lsi line and was wondering where you heard them. According to the REL website they have only 1 U.S. distributor and that is in Berkley CA. I have a pair of the 15's and wanted to add a pair of L/R 10" non-powered subs to my 2/CH rig powered by the Adcom 5802, which is overkill on the 15's @ 450 per side. The 15's do have bass, but I want to finish out the bottom end without overpowering them with muddy crap.

OOps, I guess they are all powered. I was thinking in lines of the older non-powered Phase Tech subs.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2002
    Sumiko is the US distributor for REL as well as Vienna Acoustics and Sonus Faber. REL subs are sold all over the US usually in speciallty Hi-Fi shops. Tweeter might carry them since they carry the Vienna and Sonus lines. We have a shop here that carries them and they are very nice although a bit pricey. I've been looking at the Sunfire True Subwoofer Super Junior as a nice match in a stereo setup.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    I've got a 3-way turned upside down on top of a larger set of Monitor 10Bs. I use this for stereo listening only as my top speakers are hooked to speaker B which uses the rear surround amps.

It sounds great. Much better than either set sounds on their own.

Make sure to turn the top one upside down to get the tweeters as close as possible. At first I had them right side up and it sounded horrible. Smear at the higher frequencies, most likely attributed to phase shifting and delay from the upper tweeter arriving later than the bottom.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    jrausch,
    Tweeter stores carry REL.Around here also Overture in Delaware has there complete line.Tweeter stops at the Storm.They do however carry all the Q series, which are fantastic sealed little sub's.All REL sub's play down to 20hz,and most of them go deeper.I fell in love with them due to there uncanny ablity to play music.....musically....funny that sounds.....but the fact remains in my world that I haven't heard to date a more musical sub..thats powered.Most powered sub's have that forced sound........unnatural over kill ready to blow up super over punchy sound.Do you know what I mean??I do.....
    But if you get a chance, go listen to REL and then compare what you heard to others.I think if you want a musical sub, there the best.They are still fantastic for theater,they won't crumble the walls and crack the concrete........well maybe but...what they do is blend in a system without calling any attention to itself.I reccomend only one sub company....
    Dan