Must Have vinyl list

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited August 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Lets all list those few LP's we know of which are "must haves".

The rules:

1. Sonics must be top notch in some way, please explain how.
2. Content, while not having to be mainstream, should be specified in some manor. EX: easy listening, pop, etc. It could be compared to some other artist who people will know or just explained.
3. You must own or have access to the LP.
4. It must be one of the 10 LP's you would use to show off your system
5. No pre-made lists by other people
6. No rules must be followed if you are too stupid to understand the rules.
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2006
    Options
    My top pick right now is:

Janis Ian "Breaking Silence"

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=16139&section=music

The sonics of this LP are awesome. The dynamics are real sounding and disconnected from each other. For example, the percussion ranges from a super loud rimshot to soft cymbals riding in the backround. There is a huge dynamic range for each instrument being played. The treble is smooth and pleasing. One song uses a bass drum of some type which does not harmonically match the other sounds but it is the sound of that drum and is presented well. Well into this description I find I am not too good at this but that is the way it goes.

The content is generally smooth and mellow in technique but works up to a fairly moderate level of excitement. 3 or 4 songs are fairly aggressive but still smooth with a southern sort of style. She tends to keep moving in an aggressive direction but keeps you in suspense by only achieving it once in awhile. Generally her voice and some parts of her less aggressive style can be compared to Alysen Krauss.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 906
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Steely-Dan-Aja.jpg

I consider Aja to be a ground breaking album and thus, I collect this album. At present I have six of the twelve know pressings from around the world. While the MFSL is top notch, I find the Simply Vinyl UK pressing to be the best.

1) Black Cow

This track features memorable solo performances by the late, great Victor Feldman (fender rhodes) and a young Tom Scott (tenor sax). It’s also worth noting that Tom Scott wrote ALL of the horn arrangements on Aja, the first time his unique phrasing and styling were heard outside of his solo releases. Trivia fact: drummer Paul Humphrey made his mark on the old TV show “Name That Tune”.

2) Aja

The title track is part jazz and part rock structured almost like a three part symphony; musically speaking, it has a head and chorus, but what would be the bridge features some of the most virtuoso free-form Tenor Sax (Wayne Shorter of Weather Report fame) and Drum (all-time great session drummer Steve Gadd) solos ever recorded. In fact, studying the transcribed Steve Gadd drum solo this was one of those performances you “learn” how to play your instrument from. Trivia fact: if you listen carefully, you can hear Timothy B. Schmit’s (of Eagles fame) high backing vocals in support of Donald Fagen.

3) Deacon Blues

This track became an instant classic for both its lyrics and solo tenor sax performance by Pete Christlieb. In fact, you can still find this big band jazz arrangement in the performance books of many high-school and college jazz bands. This was the lone track featuring Walter Becker on bass, quite a departure from the band’s early days where he was the featured bassist. Trivia fact: remember those screaming sax solos you used to hear from the Tonight Show band coming out of commercial breaks? That was none other than Pete Christlieb.

4) Peg

This track was one of the two “hits” (along with Josie) from Aja. It’s been described as one of the most densely layered Top 40 recordings ever, again featuring a famous guitar solo in what is essentially a 13 bar Blues. It also featured a very memorable Michael McDonald falsetto refrain, coinciding with his emergence as a driving force (and Grammy winner) with the Doobie Brothers. Trivia fact: guitar soloist Jay Graydon (another Grammy winner) later went on to write and produce for such notable performers as Al Jarreau, George Benson, and Earth, Wind & Fire.

5) Home At Last

A clever re-telling of Homer’s Odyssey (Fagen was actually an English major in college), this track is best known for Bernard “Pretty” Purdie’s driving beat that became an instant classic among drummers (if you can lay down the Home At Last groove, you can play drums!). Purdie, who also played on Deacon Blues, was nearing the end of a career as a first-call studio musician that began in the 50’s and included some of the most famous R&B hits of the 60’s. It is also the only track on this release to feature solos by both Donald Fagen and Walter Becker. Trivia fact: careful listening will once again reveal Timothy B. Schmit’s perfect backing harmonies.

6) I Got The News

While arguably the weakest track on the release, it never-the-less features a solid groove and steller background vocals by the now instantly recognizable Michael McDonald.

7) Josie

The other big hit off the release, this track is considered by some to be a rock classic. It combines typically cynical lyrics with outstanding guitar solos over yet another unique drum groove provided by Jim Keltner, another first-call session drummer from the 60’s & 70’s (who played with members of Cream and the Beatles to name a few). While the steady Chuck Rainey played bass on nearly every track, Aja features 6 different drummers on 7 tracks, unique even by today’s standards.
  • Wardsweb
    edited August 2006
    Options
    bwaudiophile.jpg

Now for sheer excellence in production, the B&W (BOWERS & WILKINS) "Very Audiophile New Recordings" is beyond reproach. This is my reference album. I have the 180g vinyl but it is also available on SACD. Sara K. singing "Turn My Upside Down" has the most incredible imaging of any album I've ever heard. This direct metal master vinyl is some of the best produced. Not only sonically but it plays quiet right out of the sleeve. If you want to see how good your system can sound, this is the album to play.
  • Wardsweb
    edited August 2006
    Options
    davebrubeck_timeout.jpg
    Artist - Dave Brubeck
    Title - Time Out
    Year of Release - 1959
    Record Label - Legacy Recordings

The classic quintessential jazz. This is one of the all time greats. I'm sure you have heard it. If you haven't your missing something very special. For you vinyl guys, the album takes this recording to the next level. Take Five is truely
    breath taking.

patriciabarber_moderncool.jpg
    Artist - Patricia Barber
    Title - Modern Cool
    Year of Release - 2002
    Record Label - Mobile Fidelity Koch

This is an incredible ablum, right from the start. The very first cut
    "Touch of Trash" is sensuous music, showcasing Barber's voice and piano
    skills. Her voice is sultry and appealing. Close your eyes and just get
    lost in this smokey jazz.

brianbromberg_wood.jpg
    Artist - Brian Bromberg