My next amp

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited July 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I did plenty of research for my next amp. I took a look at many push/pull and SET designs and decided on the Antique Sound Lab "Tulip". Looks like the 2A3 output tubes have the kind of sound I'm looking for. Tube rectification is a big plus too on this unit. If things go as planned, I should have mine very soon. Low power with super efficient speakers. I'm so excited.

http://www.divertech.com/asltulip.html
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Cool. I'm interested in reading your review. Which speakers will you use?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • organ
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I'll be using my Klipsch RF-35. 98db/w/m. Should still be plenty of power for them. I bought an SEP amp from Cliff (Faster100) and I can get it to play at insane spl before clipping. The amp is 5w/ch.

The Tulip should provide better headroom even though it is lower powered. Better power and output trannies, bigger power supply, etc.
  • organ
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Sean,
    They do make higher powered SET's but you'll be looking at completely different tubes. From all the reading I've done, the 45, 300B and 2A3 are suppose to be the sweetest sounding.

Have you thought about using a different set of speakers?
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,526
    edited July 2006
    Options
    organ wrote:
    Have you thought about using a different set of speakers?

Sean will NEVER part with his Totems....
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • organ
    edited July 2006
    Options
    LOL! Totems and LSi. Those are his babies. That's the difficult thing about SET's. Your speaker selection becomes VERY limited.
  • organ
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Believe it or not. I almost purchased a pair of Totems a few weeks back. Saw a pair of bookshelfs for $600. I'm still floored everytime I hear them. So much bass and big sound from little speakers.

Hold on to them. They're awesome. Still got your 15's right?
  • organ
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Cool. Maybe one day I'll give them a shot. They could go in the LSi rig.

Glad to hear you still have access to your LSi. I gave my parents a pair of RT5.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,876
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Looks nice. We expect a full review when all's said and done.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• organ
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Oh yeah, I will post a review. I still have to get started on a review for my Original too. Just waiting for my GTA pre amp to come back and the Tung Sol 12AU7's I ordered.