Sda 1

jwetsch
jwetsch Posts: 4
edited November 2002 in Speakers
I have the opportunity to get a pair of SDA 1's in excellent condition, but am having trouble location info about them.

They have 1-12, 4-6.5's, 2-tweets

Can someone provide me with some specs and info, along with power handling requirements?

If I buy them they will be powered by a Yamaha 75watt receiver

Any thoughts are appreciated

Thanks,
Post edited by jwetsch on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2002
    Not sure what version you are looking at, but the SDA 1C specs are 50-500watts.

Get them if you can, great speakers, be sure the seller has the interconnect cord.

Your receiver will play them, but a separate power amp will make them go like they should.

Keep us up to date.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2002
    jwetsch,

Welcome!

SDA 1C
    Size: 44H x 17W x 12D
    Overall Frequency Response: 15Hz-26kHz
    -3db Limits: 35Hz-20kHz
    Recommended Power: 50-500 watts per channel
    Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
    Efficiency: 90 db

Excellent speaker, but make sure it comes with the interconnect cable for the SDA effect. The Yammie will power it, of course the more clean power the better. How much is it?
    BTW, the 12" is a passive radiator.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    I'm not an SDA guru by any means, but that Yammie receiver isn't a good mix with the SDA tweets, is it? I just hate to see it clip, and fry 'em up.

Under moderate listening levels it should be fine, but one night with a few beers, and a lax finger on the volume, it's all over, right?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jwetsch
    edited October 2002
    The seller does have the interconnect cable and about 50ft of monster cable, says excellent condition.

He's asking $700, but it seems kind of hard to judge the value since these don't come up that often on ebay or locally, so I'm not sure if this is good or not

If they do come up on ebay, seems as though most sellers don't want to ship them.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2002
    Good point Russ. The Yammie and just about all low powered receivers will clip the tweeters at higher levels. One saving grace is the tweets have overload protection and should save them if clipped.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited October 2002
    $700 is on the high end, but if in excellent condition they are worth it. Maybe he will come down a little. I take it they are local which will save on shipping, they are heavy.

President of Club Polk

• jwetsch
    edited October 2002
    Do you think I'm going to have a lot of trouble with clipping the tweeters?

Do Yammie's have more trouble with this than other brands or do you just need a good power amp period?
  • jwetsch
    edited October 2002
    what would a good price be? ~$500?
  • F1nut
    edited October 2002
    Depends on how high you crank it. The Yammie's are a little bright, but any receiver will clip if driven too hard. The SDA's are excellent speakers and you can always upgrade the power later.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited October 2002
    Actually, $700.00 isn't bad if in excellent condition. I doubt he'll come down to $500.00, maybe $650.00. Just get them, you'll love them.

President of Club Polk

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2002
    Your total cost of 700.00 or less is a good deal, these usually go anywhere from 550.00 to 700.00 (depending on condition) plus freight, +/- 100.00.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • dharding
    dharding Posts: 61
    edited October 2002
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited October 2002
    I bought SDA1-C's a couple of months ago for $660 off
    of ebay. I love them!!! The legendary Nascarrman said
    if you can get 1-C's for $700 of less, grab them.
    I'm using an Onkyo 595 receiver that is rated at
    75 watts per channel and they sound great.
    I'm sure more power would make them shine even
    more but they sound great with my Onyko. I had
    King Crimson (thanks F1nut) cranked over the weekend
    as high as my ears could stand and I have never clipped
    the tweets. If they are the 1-C's, grab them!
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2002
    Warning... Don't count on the Polk tweeter protection to do its job. In my day, I learned (the hard way) that Polk Tweets do indeed fry with a 85wpc Yamaha receiver. Sigh. (Note: many moons ago on speakers that I no longer own - traded in).
  • capitan100
    capitan100 Posts: 172
    edited October 2002
    I own a pair of SDA-2B's. I have heard the 1c's, and they sound fantastic. I would definitely get them for that price. I really like the 2b's, but I will jump if i get the chance to get some 1c's one day. good luck
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen
  • Andrew2112
    Andrew2112 Posts: 59
    edited November 2002
    I've own a pair of 1C's for 13 years and would not even think of selling them for $700. When I got divorced everything in the house was negotiable but those babies. That $700 would be the best money you ever spend.