Mantis, got the rsx-1065!

polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited October 2002 in Speakers
Mantis,

Thanks for your help in my decision making process. I went ahead and bought the rsx-1065. I would have gone separates, but my wife won the battle. Since we have space constraint. It still in the box since I need the weekend to tweak and work on the system. I'll let you know what I think, can't wait, though..... :lol:

ps: still waiting for the shipment of the lsi15 ebony, and the lsifx, In the mean time, my rm-3000 would be getting heavy dose of high current...
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited October 2002
    Dude,
    SO cool man.That baby is going to put a smile on your face.Simply put AWESOME.

I'm wanting seperates for my new Home Theater,but if I have to step down due to money limits with building the room,screen ,Projector,all new speakers,wire,rack,centerchannel stand,glass display stand,etc,I'm leaving that peice as my back up plan B.It used to be plan A but I so want to get into seperates for home Theater as 'm going to use the new system for double duty untill my office rig is built for 2 channel(another expensive project).So after you install it let me know how it lights up the room compared to what you owned before....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    I'm so jealous.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    does any1 have a link for this piece? I'd like to take a Looksie.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • phuz
    edited October 2002
    http://www.rotel.com/products/rsx1065.htm

It's Rotel's grand daddy receiver.

*drooling*
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    phuz, the box is still sitting in the trunk, I don't want to touch it until I am ready to spend sometime. Unfortunately, work has to take precedence over this. Dan has been psyching me up for a week about about this product. Tell you what, once the system up and running, I will take a good snapshot of it and share with the gang..... :cool:
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    come on man,
    install it already.....if you want I could come over and use it untill your ready for it.......I can break it in and everything....free of charge.....
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Sitting in the trunk? Jesus H Christ man, bring that **** in the hizouse and at the minimum light some candles and rub it with a cloth diaper every night.....

Where do you park at work, and what do you drive again?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    :p:p:p:p

You guys way too funny...:lol:

ok..ok..ok, let me take it out and put it up on the makeshift altar in the living room.....
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    Dan,

thanks for the offer....next time you are in socal, come over...
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    Russ,

rest assured, the car is actually sitting inside the garage, and haven't been out since I took it out from the dealer last night....

I drive a small beemer, if you want to know....diaper cloth....you're hilarious....
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Beemer...yeah I can see the 540i in my future........silver.......
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    I sit on a blanket infront of my 15's....I rub em from time to time......they do get dusty quick you know.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    Eff a 540 man, I thought you came to play, go M series, all day/all about.... Get a REAL grocery getter...

Man, I actually KISS some of my gear goodnight...

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • phuz
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Man, I actually KISS some of my gear goodnight...

You're sleeping outside this weekend Russ. :D
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    does your lsi15 came wrapped with plastic cover, like when you bought a palm pda with plastic cover on the glass? ....just kidding....dust is a big problem around my house....especially with those baby grand piano-like finish..

Dan, I read some of your earlier posting on the merit of speaker cable, 14 awg monster biwire (S14-4) all around should give me more than adequate sound quality, right? fh
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Yeah I here it and actually feel it...........

But the 540i is a awesome machine.Its not about arriving at the grocery store but how you get there that counts.

Silver with black leather, wood interior...o man.....(and an RSX1065 waiting for me in the trunk....Id sleep in there with it)

I like to look at my gear before I go to bed......just for awhile....after I turn everything off.......I start up the stairs with a glance back at the right front lsi15.......just waiting for me to return.
    Dan
  • phuz
    edited October 2002
    polkatese, here is some good info on speaker wire.

http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/wire.htm
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    did anyone catch the comments on Home depot wire at the bottom????

I got some HD wire from a job I did today..it was brand new 12 guage....man I listened to it.....gee I so haven't been missing out on anything.........its a good read but I dissagree with alot of it.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    Thanks, Phuz...that's very useful reading...fh
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    Mantis, a 540 is definitely a nice car, but I find my 525 to be more than adequate, it could use a bit more acceleration, but I am happy. The M series are definitely nice, but wayy overpriced, IMHO. Besides, CHP is always hanging out around the corner...
  • phuz
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    its a good read but I dissagree with alot of it.

You are entitled to do so. ;)

Thats one of the wonderful things about this hobby. So much if it is perceptual and opinionated, so none of it can be wrong!

I can honestly say that I haven't really "found my ears" yet, so I trust in ole Roger's experience and wisdom. I don't know many who wouldn't.....
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    WIRE, check out ac4l.com, and do it right diddy. Closeout MIT cables, and they are going fast.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    Dan,

I tried out the 1065, with the Sony 3ES CD (about 8 years old, but has toslink output), RM-3000 ( 2 pairs, front and back) and LsiC. I threw in a classic, Ahmad Jamal: Digital Works, push about 52 on the volume dial......

WHOA......:p :p the receiver opens up the album, very impressive, specially on tracks Theme from MASH and Misty (I don't know if you're a fan of Jamal). The amount of details just amazing, and we are talking about sounds coming out of the RM-3000. I am very impressed. Compared to the Denon 2802, it definetely has plenty more sound stage.

I think I am up for a big surprise when the LSi15 arrives next week....
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    The Rotel rsx1065 is no joke......it's so high on my list....I feel you can't spend 2 grand any better.The Japanese receivers in that price class can't scratch the surfice of it's awesome sound quality...all the detail and clarity ,dynamic range just doesn't seem possible at it's price range.......but thats just it with Rotel....they pull it off for pennies.....I don't know how but I'm loving it.......can't wait untill you hook it up to the Lsi's........

I missed the wire thing......I don't use that wire anymore.it was an experiment I went threw and made my own wires........they sounded ok,not bad but my M1.4s bi wires totally destroy them.Much higher level of detail and even seesm to allow the amp to control the speaker better.......tighter, sharper, cleaner.airy....etc.
    Look into good quality wire.....stay away from Home depot.....I tested there wire....I hate the way it sounds.......****.It's not even all copper.the other side is tin,metal or something........hard to strip 2.it's 12 guage...I hate it.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    Here I am, almost midnight west coast, listening to Coltrane, bass is defnitely much tighter, even at flat level, the LSiC sang with this puppy. I tried the DSP mode, music 3, it sounds very natural....

I ended up buying cable from a guy in Toronto that did custom job, since I need the length, and termination, etc. I have a large family room where everything sits. Trying to start planning on the LsiFx location. It's all biwire on Monster S14-4. Currently I use the monster XP navajo, IMO, its' good enough cable, but I need the biwire, want to experience everything....:p
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    Dan,
    On a different subject, related to the setup, I have connected my sub (a small powered celestion), but when I put the component cables to the 1065, the sub make a humming noise, even if it's off, when it's on, the humming is even louder. I remember when I hook up the Denon the first time, it did the same thing, but that's because, I inadvertently, hooked up my other DVD player at that time (a Sony WEGA-style finish, forget the model) decoder output to the Denon SACD input, along with the component output. Thru trial and error, I figured out that for some reason it does that. Removing the decoder 6ch interconnect cable (which doesn't really need to be hooked in the first place) resolve that. I know it's not the sub, because I took it back to GG last year, and they tested it out in store with their gear, and can't duplicate the hum. Now it does that again with the 1065. Is there any circuitry inside these receivers that somehow have some kind of feedback loop between the component output and the sub-pre out? Thanks for your feedback....fh
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    I'm starting to believe you might have a bad Interconnect.It sounds like it's acting like an antenna.You say this happened before.OK......

First of all if you don't own one,get yourself a Monstercable HTS3600 or HTS5100 Power center.Run all of your audio/video into it for power.The sub if located far away from the gear,pick up a Monstercable Sub wall mounted surge protector.Run the line level in and out of it to filter out any noise picked up from the system.
    Your picking up interference over there somehow.I'd like you to consider some better interconnects,or at least changing out the ones you plug in and you start getting the hum.
    I never seen or heard of this exact problem your having ,but Iv'e seen alot of bad interconnects make the sub hum.It's funny how the noise goes right out the sub preout.It happens everytime.
    Let me tell you one really screwed up hum I ran into that really blew me away.......Wilson sub table......humming it's **** off.System's center channel and right rear humming as well.At first we installed a new preamp,thinking it was the problem,then checked the grounds.Check this out.........the dss feed outside wasn't grounded properly,bringing in some kind of noise/hum.We ran the feed into a Monster HTS5100,and bam the entire system went quiet.Awesome.....fixed even the sub.

That was one of the weidest problems I've run into.Cable coming in also does it.The Monstercable power center are such a value.The better cent you buy, the better noise filtering and line condisioning you get.Now that you have a flagship receiver, and flagship speakers,you owe it to your self to finish off the entire system.Get into the HTS5100........it's a nice match to your system.
    The wire your going to use is really good wire.Monster custom 14-4 has a really nice sound to it.I used to use it and felt it was a nice cable.I'm anal about wire so I constantly want better cable.
    Interconnects for your system if you like Monstercable ,you should consider wiring it up with M550's or M850's.They both will give you good sound.Not expensive,compared to what you could be using.
    I hope some of this rant helps or gives you some ideas to isolate your hum.The Monstercable power center really help.Bad grounds are common cause.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    It sounds to me like a ground loop problem......do a search as we've discussed this a few times.

IMO, If that's the case, All the line conditioning in the world isn't going to get rid of it. Not that I'm saying it won't help or they aren't good, I'm just saying, you can cure a ground loop problem without dropping a wad of cash. It's usually a case of getting the wires and interconnects tidy and organized and keeping the cable TV coax as separate as possible.

I could be talking out my ****, but I'd eliminate the cheap possibilities before I started spending big coinage.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    thanks guys for your comments, one thing that I haven't considered, I also have the Sony Directv decoder in the setup. If it is a ground loop issue, it might be the coax coming in from the wall to the decoder bring in some noise with it, hmm.....I'll check it out. I wonder about the sub though, I still suspecting this puppy (I guess that might be because I am almost convinced from last time I ran into this) that the sub is the culprit. For one, it has the three prong ground cable, and two, it went straight to the wall (no line conditioner to it), since it sits about 5 feet or so away. I wonder if I put the cheater plug on the sub......

Dan, I have the Monster HTS-800 (entry level, obviously), the 5100 now almost become the next logical upgrade, thanks for your suggestion.