Back in Black

Options
ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited July 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
vinyl that is.....

I went to go check out the Carver Amazing Silvers yesterday and ended up bringing home a kenwood KD-3070 turntable. It's practically new. Came with box, and every piece of original packaging, even the thin foam they wrap the dust cover in, which hasn't a single flaw. Came with an Ortofon MC cartridge, haven't looked to see which model# yet. After I assemble it, I'll post some pics.

Now all I need is some vinyl, as all mine are stored at my parents house in Memphis.:rolleyes:

Oh,,, I declined the Silvers, mainly due to them being Piano black, which I just don't care for on those particular speakers nearly as much as the Oak.
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited July 2006
    Options
    And so it starts.
    I predict you'll be into $2000 in the hole on vinyl and new gear by year's end.
    Enjoy your new toy!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2006
    Options
    The more that things change, the more the stay the same. Outstanding.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Good Deal, nothing like the big 10". I have an older Kenwood in the cabinet that served me well for years.

The black Amazings really tend to grow on you, I thought I wanted Oak and there fine but its no longer a issue for me. As a matter of fact the longer I am in the hobby the less the "look" of the piece matters in priority, sure its nice to have gear to look at, but its more important in how it fits into the rigs sound.

RT1
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2006
    Options
    What's the 411 on the Silver's?? They for sale still?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ND13
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Yes they are. If you're interested give me a call and we'll discuss their issues and history. I'll shoot ya a pm with my #s.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited July 2006
    Options
    yIKES--BDT do I need to bring the security service back????

go baby go.

RT1
  • TroyD
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I'm on the fence....man, I DO miss the CA's. However, I want a pair of Platinums. The Silver's are tempting but I think I'm going to hold out for the Plats.

BDT
  • ND13
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I got the TT set up last night, but have to wait till the pre gets here in order to test her out. SCompRacer sent it out last night and hopefully I'l see it today. I'm getting his McAlister tube pre he had custom built, that has a killer phono section for mc/mm cartridges. I picked up a few LPs on the way home, at the GW, Stan Getz, Linda Rondstadt, and a Spyro Gyro(sp). When I got home I discovered that I actually did have a few LPs in the house from back in the day...some good ones to. Can't wait to get it all dialed in .
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2006
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote:
    I predict you'll be into $2000 in the hole on vinyl and new gear by year's end.

Yep, starts off with a new pre... :D

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,213
    edited July 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    Yep, starts off with a new pre... :D

madmax
    I know what you mean...
    I'm on my third turntable in less than 6 months...(might have been different if my first two were minty like ND13's)
    Looking for a tonearm upgrade on my Oracle now...(anyone have a decent mid or lightweight arm?)
    Always have my eye open for good NOS cartridge deals on Ebay...

I started using the Spin Clean record cleaning system last weekend. No more discwasher or spray on cleaners...
    I could see myself eventually getting a vac cleaner, but actually, I'm surprised how well the Spin Clean works.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • reeltrouble1
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Dont you know it Max!!!

ND13--Cool pre from Rich.

BDT---OK my man, but anytime you need a fix they are there for you.
  • ND13
    edited July 2006
    Options
    ND13--Cool pre from Rich.

Yep, damn thing has 10.......... that's right TEN tubes in it!!!!:eek:
  • madmax
    edited July 2006
    Options
    billbillw wrote:
    I started using the Spin Clean record cleaning system last weekend. No more discwasher or spray on cleaners...
    I could see myself eventually getting a vac cleaner, but actually, I'm surprised how well the Spin Clean works.

My record vac was the best investment dollars I spent on my system. It gave me more bang for the buck in sound quality than anything else.

Ten tubes! Post a pic of this beast when you get it going.

madmax

• billbillw
    edited July 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    My record vac was the best investment dollars I spent on my system. It gave me more bang for the buck in sound quality than anything else.

Ten tubes! Post a pic of this beast when you get it going.

madmax

Yeah, My brother has a VPI 16.5. It works very well, but I've compared records done on his with, my Spin Clean, and my method makes the records sound almost as clean, probably 98% as good (?). I know its impossible to due a really apple to apple comparison because we are talking about different records, with different wear. But anyway, I'll say that the Spin Clean system is well worth the money, far and away better than any of the spray on or brush cleaners...but it is much more work compared to the VPI system.
  • madmax
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Its all a journey... I'll have to look up the Spin Clean to see what it is. I will say this, the brushes are everything, at least with the VPI. There is one brush I use that makes a notable difference in SQ. It is a micro brush of some kind (forget the name) which seems to clean deeper in the grooves.
    madmax

• TroyD
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I've found the mfsl brush to be the best....

Agree 100%, if you aren't listening to clean vinyl, there isn't much point other than nostalgia.

BDT
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited July 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:

Yep, damn thing has 10.......... that's right TEN tubes in it!!!!:eek:

Yup. Two 6FQ7 that provide infinite plate resistance for the two 6CG7 linestage tubes, two 6DJ8/12AX7 for the phono stage, and one 6GE5/6AX4 for voltage regulation for each stage. A claimed 5Hz to 140Hz frequency response. Though it didn't need it, I installed one of the two new Alps volume pots he sent me (that fixed Norm's pre amp volume/balance problem) before I sent it. The Alps is much better than the one that came with it.

It is not as warm and more transparent than my BAT VK-3i, though the 6H23 Type 3 tubes have improved that over the Siemens 7308's you heard in it. Now the BAT is more vivid. That was at the end of break in for the MIT IC's when final tube selection was being made. The ML-33 has a Great phono stage. No darn remote though. I lean towards the BAT for sonics.
    EDIT: I mean phowo...LOL
    ml33.jpg 112.5K
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ND13
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Check that out ****!!!:D

His pics are a lot better than mine anyways.
  • billbillw
    edited July 2006
    Options
    The spin clean is a manual record bath with built in rollers and brushes
    http://www.garage-a-records.com/spin.html
    The key to it working well is to dump the bath when needed (every 20 records or so), using distilled water, and having plenty of clean, dry lint free cloths and/or microfiber cloths to dry them quickly and thouroughly. I've got about 10 that I keep clean for this purpose along with an old armless turntable that I use to help me dry them quickly. Like I said, its much more work than the VPI, but its about $400 cheaper!

Oh yeah, my brother seems to have good luck with the MOFI brushes from Amusicdirect.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited July 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    LOL You Njoy that pre amp. It mates really well with his tube amp though my old PP150 is in Maine now. Same claimed frequency response. The pre has a claimed low 40 Ohm output impedance, 47K input impedance. If he ever gets his shite together and works on consistency, appearance, professional packaging, and improve point to point build neatness, he could go mainstream. Having the chassis punched out somewhere would solve many of those problems as all he would have to do is wire them up.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • madmax
    edited July 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:

That should keep you warm this winter... :D
    madmax

Edit: Yea, MoFi brushes, thats the one.

• ND13
    edited July 2006
    Options
    **** cartridge is shot!!!! I guess I'll have to order a new one soon. My dad is sending me a Shure M91ED, but I have to get a stylus for it. Damn this pisses me off. I've been working, for hours, on setting up the new rack and getting the components all set up and dialed in and not to get to enjoy it,after, sucks a big one.

Anyone have any opinions on which cartridge I should be looking at? I need one that's an all-around performer.
  • billbillw
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Well, the Shure M97xE is a hair under $66 shipped from Amazon. Hard to go wrong with that for the money. Its a good all around cartridge. There's not much better for under $100. I think you can get a replacement for the M91ED at Garage-a-records for about $25 or so. I'd go with the upgrade.
  • madmax
    edited July 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    **** cartridge is shot!!!! I guess I'll have to order a new one soon.

First comes the new pre, then a new cart. Quickly approaching the $2K mark... :D

madmax

• reeltrouble1
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Noel, I have Shure I got from Tour for my Kenwood, I played it about two hours before getting the Rega, shoot me a pm if you like.

Ted