Adcom GFA-535 mk.II - $130 shipped on e-bay.

Options
aaharvel
aaharvel Posts: 4,490
edited July 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
H/K Signature 2.1+235
Jungson MagicBoat II
Revel Performa M-20
Velodyne cht-10 sub
Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
Post edited by aaharvel on

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,216
    edited July 2006
    Options
    BIN Price is gone. Somebody bid instead of grabbing the BIN.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2006
    Options
    idiot, LOL why do ya think ya gonna get it cheaper then 100 bucks... I hate when i have a auction with a great buy it now.. and someone bids and it's gone.. that's why i place a small reserve to hold the buy it now longer for others to find..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2006
    Options
    what's the power on this beast?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2006
    Options
    60 wpc x 2 @ 8 ohms
    100 wpc x 2 @ 4 ohms
  • Toxis
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I'll be watching this one...

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Since there is no affil to anyone here, I'll just state the MK II version has much better speaker terminals and gets rid of the A/B speaker option. The MK I version can only take smaller guage bare wire by inserting into a plastic holder and twisting a 1/4 turn to secure. That's the only negative I'd give this sweet sounding Adcom, just something to be aware of.

On a positive note is has (2) iron core transformers so it's a true dual mono design and really is a brute of an amp considering it's size and output. I ran one consistently against a couple well known high volume Japanese amps which were rated at over 4x's the power and it really held it's composure and played well beyond the others and sounded better too (less strained, more focused and still had plenty of oomph). The speakers I was running at the time were not very efficient either, a true testament to the amps capability.

The other amps with trick circuits and fancy lights and meters were no match musically for the humble little Adcom.

FWIW

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Toxis
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I have an older Rotel amp that has a manual power button on the front. Is this one the same way? I need a smaller amp to run some in ceiling speakers but want to run all my equipment in the basement and don't want to have to manually turn it on.

• heiney9
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Toxis wrote:
    I have an older Rotel amp that has a manual power button on the front. Is this one the same way? I need a smaller amp to run some in ceiling speakers but want to run all my equipment in the basement and don't want to have to manually turn it on.

If you are looking for a trigger, the Adcom does NOT have one. It's manual only for the 535.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited July 2006
    Options
    The 535 original kicks the MKII's ****$.

IMO of course...

I owned one 535 and 2 or 3 MKII - I regret selling the 535 to this day, the MK II (545 and 535) I wave goodbye to everyday.

The originals had a far more musical sound and to me were far better amps.

That aside, they are both great for their respective price points.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    edited July 2006
    Options
    The 535 original kicks the MKII's ****$.

IMO of course...

I owned one 535 and 2 or 3 MKII - I regret selling the 535 to this day, the MK II (545 and 535) I wave goodbye to everyday.

The originals had a far more musical sound and to me were far better amps.

That aside, they are both great for their respective price points.

Yes, I agree although not so emphatically ;) . I still have a MK I 545 and I wouldn't trade it for a MK II. But IMO, the slight difference in sound is less of an issue than those crappy speaker terminals (on the 535). One could always change them however. Plus, for ceiling speakers no one will know if it's the MK I or II

H9
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Eh... no reason to hide the truth...

The MK II had horrible speaker terminals, you are right. The originals could accept like 12 awg, where as II could only accept 16...

The II also was a greyish color, where as the originals were a deep black...

And did I mention the originals were just better sounding and IMO far more powerful??
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Eh... no reason to hide the truth...

The MK II had horrible speaker terminals, you are right. The originals could accept like 12 awg, where as II could only accept 16...

The II also was a greyish color, where as the originals were a deep black...

And did I mention the originals were just better sounding and IMO far more powerful??

The MK I Gfa-535 had the wimpy speaker terminals. The MK II had the common 5-way bindings not to mention all the MK II series had upgraded input terminals. Didn't help the sound though :D .

H9

535 MK I-terminals
  • heiney9
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Seems all along the header to this thread was for the MK II version. So I guess the amp in question has the nicer terminals. Gotta learn to read :p;):)

H9
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I am talking about the gfa 545 mk 1 --- good terminals, atleast mine did.
  • heiney9
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I am talking about the gfa 545 mk 1 --- good terminals, atleast mine did.

Ah, yes now I see. The only Adcom with wimpy terminals was the Gfa-535 MK I. I thought you were talking about the 535.
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Let me see here...

Way to much Adcom in my past...

The 535was a great amp.

Sad part is... the only thing I have left from that entire rack is the freaking DVDP and VCR...

130 shipped for that amp was a good deal, but I honestly would wait for the originals to pop up...
  • heiney9
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Nice......all I've needed is 1. Bought new in 1986-87 and been with me ever since. Not a scratch, ding or mark and to my ears plays just like the day I brought it home, even have the original box, packing, plastic, brochures and Adcom IC that came with it. I'm really not anal or anything..........

H9
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Which one do you have?

There wasnt that much difference between the GFA 545 and the B&K amp I replaced it with. The B&K looked 10 times better and had a slight increase in sound. A bit more push to it...

Good amps, good amps!
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Damn you guys. I am the process of upgrading my amps and am thinking of selling my 535. Now you guys wish you never sold yours. Damn damn. Screw it, I am going to keep all my amps and buy more. 5000 watts to each channel.
    Venom
  • heiney9
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Which one do you have?

There wasnt that much difference between the GFA 545 and the B&K amp I replaced it with. The B&K looked 10 times better and had a slight increase in sound. A bit more push to it...

Good amps, good amps!

545, IMO has all the sonic attibutes of the 535, but quite a bit bit more punch and current. I prefer the 545 over the 555.
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Yeah, the 545 was a great amp...

I never heard the 555, but I havnt heard the best of things about it either..
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Ive had a 535 and a 555, the 555 is quite a beast but seemed pretty bright to me... i sold it and got the parasound 1200II and was thrilled.. The adcom gear is a great value though and the 535 is a cool little amp with alot of power for the rating and size
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp