FS: MAGNEPAN 3.5R - PLANAR Loudspeaker

Options
dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,576
edited July 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Magnepan 3.5R Planar Loudspeaker - 8/10 - Dark Cherry/Black - *SOLD*

MG 3.6 3-way True Ribbon Planar - Magnetic 34-40 kHz - 85 dB - 4 Ohm - 24 x 71 x 1.625

These are my babies but I've decided to downsize for the moment to some LSi9's I've never had out of the box. I have a hookup for the newer 3.6R's down the road, so I'm going to move these to another motivated individual until then. Don't bother with the addictive lower models like the QR series or MMG...get into the big time with a true ribbon like the 3.5R.

The main difference in the 3.5R vs 3.6R is the longer out-of-phase midrange, although shorter woofer section. Other than that, they are damn near identical and have the same specifications....but the 3.6 is way more expensive used.

I can't say enough good things about these speakers aside from they are simply the benchmark for me when it comes to all things musical. This is a very revealing pair of speakers and they absolutely shine on male/female vocals, piano and acoustic media.

They have a couple very minor rubs on the bottom and the fabric has come loose on the top left speaker. I will get that secured before pickup, but it does currently exist. Aside from that I think they are more like 9/10, but they are older and I'm picky about rating gear.

You will need some power for these speakers. I would suggest an amplifier that can really rock at 4ohms. Forget the tube amp idea unless you are pushing some serious wattage....go with a pair of monoblocks or a large scale SS amp. It's not to say they won't work with lower powered gear, but you get the idea.

They are bi-wireable for those that wish to do so. They come with the original user manual, original stands, 4 brand new crossover trim pieces, original jumper bars...resistors, etc. The current crossover trim pieces have a couple nicks out of them so I purchased 4 new ones from Mangepan before they didn't make them anymore. I just never installed them.

The resistors are to trim down the top end to better suit different listing tastes. I've used them, but found I didn't need them.

These speakers are known for a very open and natural sound, since they radiate front and back at 180 degrees. It's odd because you can stand right beside them and they drop about 50db. Some say that they are difficult to place properly, but I guess they're just too anal or too stupid as I've never had a hard time getting a sweet spot established. The same is also said of the Carver Amazing, another speaker which didn't take that much thought to get right...oh well, guess it just depends on the individual.

Model Comparison

MUG - Maggie Users Group - Model Chart

Magnetic Planar/ Quasi-Ribbon Technology - Explained

I have the original boxes/packaging and MAY think about shipping them, but really don't care to do this. I'm available for reasonable delivery depending where you are located.

Thanks for reading...if I think of anything else interesting I'll post it.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I don't wanna dick up Mark's thread but this is damn near a no brainer.

You'd be hard pressed to do better at that price.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Quess I'll dick it up some too and agree with Troy, damn nice speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Thank you two for dicking it up :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Might as well slap my dick around in here too!

Wish I had the $$$!
    No excuses!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I have listened to these very speakers. Pure magic. No if's and's or but's. If you want to put yourself a stellar 2 channel rig together, here you have it.

Damn, if I wasn't already commited...
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Antony,

G'head grab 'em. I'll hold on to the Amazings for you.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Some of the best speakers out there, and at a very decent price! Nothing but pure magic. I'll be moving up from the 1.6QR to the 3.6's someday.

Just to clarify, I am assuming the Oxygen Free Concrete Audiophile bricks are included in the sale :rolleyes:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2006
    Options
    YOU ****!!!

That is all....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Absolutely high end speakers here guys. Heard them at the last polkfest. Just wonderful!
    madmax

BTW,
    "These are my babies but I've decided to downsize for the moment to some LSi9's"

Just a quick word of advice here, if people in white jackets knock on the door, run...
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2006
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!:D :D

Good Luck with your sale Mark. BTW, what would you say the starting point for SS wpc amp should be hooked up to those beauties?

madmax wrote:
    Just a quick word of advice here, if people in white jackets knock on the door, run...
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I'm guessing Mark will tell you the two Adcom monoblocks he has for sale would be pretty good:D
    Carl

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited July 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    I'm guessing Mark will tell you the two Adcom monoblocks he has for sale would be pretty good:D

The "Used Car Salesman" in him would do that! :D

Man, if I only had the loot to buy some of those goodies from that used car salesman!

Those monoblocks are calling my name!
    No excuses!
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Bumping this up to the top for some killer speakers. I heard this rig at the Polk Fest last year and was THOROUGHLY impressed, which isn't an easy thing to accomplish with me.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Re-bump, an excellent opportunity and price to get your Hi-Fi on and get to the next level. Yes, I heard them and agree with all the other positive comments about the SQ and they look marvelous. After hearing these speakers I knew that Planar would be my next upgrade.

RT1
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Thanks very much guys for the great comments but these have been sold on Audiogon.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2006
    Options
    What did these sell for? Damn I'm late and I loved those beauties.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    1800 on Audiogon.