Ok buying new surrounds, either RTI28 or FXI30 which one better?

faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited October 2002 in Speakers
Ok i have decided to get the new surrounds i have been wanting, I either want RTI28's or the FXI30's, whats the difference and is one better than the other, my system is used equally as HT and playing music so it needs to work good both ways. By the way i decided to sell the carver cube amp that i just got a few days ago. I was going about upgrading all wrong, I need good speakers first then i will get separete amps later. I will move the RT15's i have in the rears now and make them the surround back, Oh also how can i wire the two rt15's i have in series to work as one surround back>?? As my receiver requires a amp for the 2 channel backs to work, so i have to use just the single rear for now

Thanks
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited October 2002
    Get the FX30 or 50. I like the 50 with the 6.5" woofer over the 30 with the 5.25" woofer.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2002
    Any reason for the FX over the 28's? Thats what i was wondering, and the 50's are to high for me right now. what about the fxi30's and RTI 28's?? thanks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • jdavy
    edited October 2002
    I think you do not want a directional sound for surround. the V of the fxi30 will sound better for home theater. If the speaker is on the wall to your side the sound will be spread front and back. BTW you can call customer service at Polk and ask them. I did when I was setting up my HT. You want to ballance the speakers in the system so they sound great together.
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited October 2002
    Hey Faster 100,
    I went from the directional speakers to the Dipole speakers made a huge difference..Fx300's(same as the 30's).....I believe the Rti28's your refering too are directional...the 30's are Dipole or Bipole....made a huge difference in my movie experience...makes the room sound bigger, especially with DTS and DII, it also makes you feel more a part of the action in other words, stuff moved around the room more and over my head more than with directional speakers.
    My 2 cents...peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • jdavy
    edited October 2002
    Stuffmd, what is DII? I know DTS and love it. But I do not know what DII is. Is the DII you refer to Dolby Digital 5.1?