F/X 1000 owners

hoosier21
hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
edited October 2002 in Speakers
for those who have these monsters, can you (do you) play them set to large?
Dodd - Battery Preamp
Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
Outlaw ICBM - crossover
Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
Post edited by hoosier21 on

Comments

• deq15
    deq15 Posts: 56
    edited September 2002
    I dont have them but are you talking about the decoder set to large or is there a setting on the Fx itself.

The set to large setting on the DVD decoder is for subbase routing purposes as I understand it. you need only worry about it - IF - you choose NOT to use a sub.

"Large" speakers get the bass "Small" speakers do not.

does this help?

Pat
  • hoosier21
    edited September 2002
    I am asking about the decoder setting.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    Large, duh......

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    I have the fx500's - just could not justify the huge price of the 1000's but would have liked to have them. IMO I think you could get away with it no problem.:)
  • hoosier21
    edited September 2002
    Rooster looking at them I would say DUH too, but the manual says to try large, if you hear distortion set them to small, I was hoping to hear from owners who have tried them out.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    The manual is probably referring to older receivers that have low output for the surround channels. Like 100wpc front and 20-25wpc rear.....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Indrama
    Indrama Posts: 7
    edited October 2002
    hoosier21,

I do have a pair and I do have them set to large out of a Denon AVR-4800, they sound awsome. I have pushed them pretty hard in 5ch st mode and havent heard even the smallest strain or distortion.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2002
    I do have a pair and I do have them set to large out of a Denon AVR-4800, they sound awsome. I have pushed them pretty hard in 5ch st mode and havent heard even the smallest strain or distortion.
    That pretty much sums it up. Good to know - thanks.
    LARGE on these puppies.
  • Devildog
    Devildog Posts: 68
    edited October 2002
    I see that you guys are playing the F/X1000's large, could someone suggest the settings for a Denon AVR4800 (with POA5200) for RT2000i's (front),CS1000p (center), f/x1000's (surround), f/x500i's (rear surround), PSW650 (front sub), Hsu VTF-2 (rear sub). I wish you guys were a little closer to Chicago. Using the Radio Shack SPL meter and making adjustments is a little like me trying to perform a root canal on myself. But I'll kepp tryin'. BTW, the AVIA cd gives very different readings than my receiver's test tones. Makes these adjustments even more special. Thanks for your collective help in the past. I bought the rear sub because of this board. Thanks, Rick
    The Revolution will not be televised.
  • DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS Posts: 9
    edited October 2002

What are you guys using for front the speakers? How about the center?

I am considering the RTi150's for the front, and I am concerned that the tweeters in the RTi series might throw off the sound with the 1000's as surrounds. Any thoughts?
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited October 2002
    Hoosier21,

I would set them to large and let 'er rip! Those SDA1.2tl's will drown 'em out anyway!

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2002
    DevilDog:

I guess the question to be answered is which can handle the non-LFE bass better - the subwoofers, or the combined woofers of the center, mains, and surrounds?

You've got some pretty impressive woofage in both departments, really - tough call.

With my set-up it's a no brainer - small all the way - let the SVS shoulder the bass load for both LFE and surround sound. I use 100 Hz as a crossover.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Devildog
    Devildog Posts: 68
    edited October 2002
    Dr. Spec.
    I'm obviously new to home theater but I try to learn by reading as much as I can and experimenting. I really went through some $$$ and learned about the bi-wire and bi-amp controversies from this forum. I'm pretty satisfied with my current configuration with the physical connections but I'm having a hard time with the setup on the receiver. I set all the speakers SPL levels with the Denon signal generator at 75 db following your advice on a previous thread (I printed it out and found it very useful). I can't get the subs to drop to the level of the rest of the speakers though. I tried to use the Avia DVD and the signals are way different than the internal ones (on all the speakers). The placement of the subs is currently the PSW650 in the right front corner of the room (outside the left and right fronts) and the Hsu in the right back of the room, against the wall about 2 feet from the back wall (outside the f/x500 rear surrounds (6th and 7th channels). The POA5200 drives the front left and right and the internal amps in the Denon 4800 drive the other speakers. I know I sound like I need professional help (in more than just HT) but I would welcome any advice by you and the group. I'm really happy with the Denon and Polk products so far. Thanks, Rick
    The Revolution will not be televised.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2002
    Not sure what you mean by "can't gt the subs to drop to the levels of the rest of the speakers".

With powered subs, you can keep turning the sub amp down until it reads next to nothing, if you feel like it.

Please clarify this point.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS