Def Tech vs. Polk

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,031
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I just wanted to see if any of you had any comments or real world experience with these two companies as I have been hearing both lately.
Anybody Know that the owner of Def Tech used to be a Polk engineer?:D

Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    A local Home theater shop runs the def line and to be honest I was not that impressed? They actually have a real nice setup also but my home system with the rti line sound better from an image and accuracy and wamth standpoint. The line seems real bright and actually stresses me out. I'm literally glad when the system is turned down or off... When they switch to their Klipsh line the room just becomes so much more enjoyable.

Just my thoughts.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    I spent several hours listening to the Def Tech powered towers when I was shopping around. They are nice speakers, but I don't think the bi-pole sound is for me.

They sounded good, but a bit 'airy' - and they had the typical (IMHO) powered tower sound (bass that did not blend well, even after tweeking the knobs for a bit). For the price range they are good, and give the RTi line a good run for the money, but they do not provide the warmth and clarity of the LSi line.

They do make some decent subs. They have a sub $500 subwoofer that specs out at 19hz. (wonder how factual that is?) - and the new supercube sounds awesome.

As far as the company, I dunno. I wonder why he's *not* a Polk engineer anymore. ;)
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited October 2002
    Hey phuz. Nice setup!!

Which Lsi models are you using for surrounds ?!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by begbie
    Hey phuz. Nice setup!!

Which Lsi models are you using for surrounds ?!

Thanks. :)

They are LSi9's. I should be getting my LSiC this week, and then I'll probably rest a bit and enjoy....
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by mantis

Anybody Know that the owner of Def Tech used to be a Polk engineer?:D

Don't think so, although that's *apparently* what Sandy tells everybody, along with (1) Matt Polk never designed any speakers; (2) Nobody else at Polk ever designed any speakers - only Sandy. At least, I find it hard to believe that every DefTech dealer comes up with the same exact story - so I have to conclude that the story originates at DefTech.

In a 30 minute demo, I concluded they had BIGASS BASS; a recessed midrange; ENOUGH TREBLE TO PEEL PAINT. Put another way: I felt aurally assaulted they were so in my face. That's just me, and that's why I love the magic midrange of Polks and Martin Logans.

Took them off my "interest" list after that first demo. I don't know if you consider that real-world experience or not. Speakers are the only components that I'm comfortable making decisions about based on demo in an unfamiliar showroom.

The Gospel According To Paul
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Micah,Ken,Paul,Anyone from Polk????
    who is the engineer who went on to Make Def Tech?I believe his name was Sandy Gross.What was his role at Polk and does anyone have any Idea why Did he leave?Was it the Bi Polar Idea's?I'd like to know more about this subject.

Anyone else????????
    Dan
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    Yeah, I got the same story when I demoed Def Tech last summer.

I was pretty indifferent about them. Good bass response but anemic midrange. Nothing about them really caught my fancy.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    Micah,Ken,Paul,Anyone from Polk????
    who is the engineer who went on to Make Def Tech?I believe his name was Sandy Gross.What was his role at Polk and does anyone have any Idea why Did he leave?Was it the Bi Polar Idea's?I'd like to know more about this subject.

Anyone else????????

Dude, read the link I provided in the previous post...As Paul DiComo pointed out in there, Sandy was VP of marketing.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Bi polar idea? Read the link brotha....

Thanks rlw...
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by rlw

that's why I love the magic midrange of Polks

Now, there's something we can agree on and thanks for the link.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    Liv4Fam pimpin' out his dirty work? Come on buddy. Different speakers, different sound. I like Polks. If I like DefTech., so be it. I don't own any DefTech, but maybe they have a Forum I could annoy!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Damn that was harsh dude,
    he's not pimpin me......(thats kinda funny though)We both where wondering what you guys thought of Def Tech...since they are kinda a sister company in a round about way.

I personally like the way they sound.Liv4fam's are not brokin in yeat but I did get a real god demo of the 2006's which are a model under his.I felt they had a nice large soundstage with a non powered tower sound,even though they where powered.They had a nice overall sound quality that I could listen to for hours without getting tired.Nice stuff.
    Dan