Marantz SACD thoughts

Options
univera
univera Posts: 848
edited July 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I also have an opportunity to purchase a Marantz SA8260 SACD player he wants $600.00 for, but I think I could get it for a little less. Anything in this unit holding me back? I don't see HDCD listed as a feature, and that's something I enjoy. Assuming I didn't care about SACD, is this player still worth the price for normal 2 channel audio?
UNIVERA
Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
AVR: NAD T 773
Rears: Polk LC80i
DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
Subs: Velodyne and M&K
T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
Post edited by univera on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Orion Bluebook price is $450 used, but they may be going for a little more than than. Marantz makes good gear. There are 3 currently listed on Audiogon ranging from $485 to $600. Good Luck.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,213
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Although the SA8260 received good reviews on its sound (both SACD and Redbook), the player has a reputation for disc playback problems, IE: owners find that many discs won't play. Google around a little and you will find at least a few threads complaining about this player. If you are only looking for CD playback, I'm sure there are better options for the same or less money.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Why would you buy a SACD player if you dont care about SACD??? I really appreciate SACD so that is the player I like, but really you dont need one, try the Jolida tubed cd player.

RT1
  • univera
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I wasn't saying I didn't want SACD, I was just curious about the player in general, irrespective of SACD. I haven't had the opportunity to experience SACD yet. Thanks for the input.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2006
    Options
    OK, well, then the Marantz I have heard were just fine, nothing special or magical just solid machines that played the discs. They build thousands of these things so there are bound to be some issues, but I would not take that to mean they are bad machines. Marantz is an old company with a pretty solid rep and following.

RT1

RT1
  • univera
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I am very familiar with Marantz as far as being a solid company. You answered what I was really trying to find out: is the Marantz a piece that will elevate my system. Something special or just an above average player that plays SACD for a reasonable price. Essentially, if I bought a dedicated redbook CD only player, might I get more sound quality for the buck? That is the crux of my question

Since I have been using an early Toshiba DVD which sounds pretty damn good for Cd playback, I am sure the Marantz would be a step up. But I want something that is like butter and transparent-just me and the speakers.

As I mentioned in my other post, I also have access to the Audio Refinement cd player, which I have read great reviews.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2006
    Options
    there is a reason they still make stand alone CD players.. they sound pretty darn good. Some people are ok with having one player (DVD) play all their discs... others like to have seperates for DVD's and CD's.

I found once i went from a Toshiba DVD player to a stand alone CD player.. the sound stage was better. and overall more pleasant to listen to . it was close though... but in the end the stand alone CDP won out.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited July 2006
    Options
    The Marantz is a solid player. This model does have problems with dual layer discs (SACD hybrids). Google around as someone suggested. For a redbook only player, there is a lot of players out there for around $500 that are excellent. Rotel, Cambridge, Denon and others. Let us know what you get.:)
    Carl

• Beekyman
    Beekyman Posts: 150
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I own an 8260 and have had nothing but good luck with and I would purchase another if the need arose.
    My first SACD player was a PIONEER DVD player purchased as a demo unit and that is what brought me into the world of SACD. I really dig SACD but the only gripe I have is that its not a very prevalent format and you have to dig a little deeper sometimes to find what your looking for. Is it worth it? I would have to say yes but many newer CD's and good quality gear will be like candy to your ears as well. Good luck!
    2 Channel Rig
    Source 1 - Apple TV
    Source 2 - Parasound D3 Universal Player
    Source 3 - Parasound Tuner T3
    Pre-amp - Parasound HALO P3
    Amplifier - Parasound HALO A21
    Speakers - Martin Logan Vista
    Power Conditioning - Panamax M5100-EX