Center channel comparison

bielfeldts
bielfeldts Posts: 5
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I was going to buy a CSi245, but find the CSi30 to be almost identical. What's the difference? I'm matching to RT55 fronts, and f/x300i surrounds. Thx
Post edited by bielfeldts on

Comments

• GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited October 2002
    bielfeldts,
    Do you have the RT55 or RT55i?
    The two centers are real close. Both have 2 - 5 1/4" drivers for the mid/woofer and have an efficiency of 90dB. Both are 8 ohm and are video shielded. Overall frequency responce for the 245 is 52Hz-26kHz and 52Hz-27kHz for the 30. The big difference as I see it is the 245 has a 1" Tri-laminate tweeter while the 30 has a 1" silk/polymer composite tweeter. Recommended amp power for both is 10-180 watts and they both have 5 way binding posts. The 245 measures 6-3/8"H X 16-3/4"W X 9-1/4"D, the 30 is 6-1/2"H X 20"W X 6-3/8"D. The depth could be a concern if you're trying to place it directly on a smaller TV. This info came right off Polks site. IMO I'd probably go for the 245 because it will have a better timbre match to your 55's. And you should be able to find it for a better price than the 30 because it's and older model.
  • bielfeldts
    edited October 2002
    I've got the older RT55 for my mains. I'm just now getting around to adding the other speakers. I'm guessing the 245 (as you suggested) would be a better match.
    Thx
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    If your upgrading then why not the 400i? Great center speaker and is almost a perfect match for the 55's.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • bielfeldts
    edited October 2002
    Unfortunately, the 400's dimensions become a factor. I don't quite have the space. I think the 245 will satisfy my needs, but wish I could go with the 400.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited October 2002
    I agree with the 400I choice. I belive the 55 are 2 6.5" and one 1" and that would match the 400i perfectly.
  • bielfeldts
    edited October 2002
    Thank you, all for your feedback. I'm going with the CS400i. I will make room for it.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    I've owned both the 245 and the 400. IMO, if you go with the 245 in lieu of the 400, the difference isn't as great as one might think.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Wesmo
    Wesmo Posts: 74
    edited October 2002
    I too have owned both the 245i and the 400i. Go for the 400i, trust me. It's much better; it sounds bigger, distortion doesn't creep in, and it matches your speakers better. The 245 just doesn't sound good for music either. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the 400i.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2002
    I've owned 3 of the Polk's center speakers: the CS250, CS300 and the CS1000p. The CS300 is a very good one, I'm not sure that you can get one out there, but if you can, you'll love the sound of this little monster...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Any and all mentioned above will shine for center channel duty. The tweeter in the 245 and 30 are very close. The 245 is actually a silk dome (as is the 30), just with vapor deposited layers of metal applied on top. It is still a 'soft dome', and I think you would be hard-pressed to hear any difference in the two.

400 is a GREAT center, I owned it briefly, and went with the smaller CS300 (similar to the 245-30 w/ 5.25" drivers), as I felt the smaller drivers handled on screen vocals better, at least in my rig.

If it were my rig, I'd go 245/30, whichever you can get the better deal on, and put whatever is leftover towards other upgrades in the future, or media, whichever floats yer' boat.

As far as timbre matching, your only TRUE matched option would be another RT55 used as a center. Regardless, this post has win-win written all over it. Sounds like a GREAT rig.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    I once owned the cs300, it was my first centerchannel for the rt1000p's.I always felt it was dragging behind,so I upgraded to the cs400i when It first came out.Man what a difference.It sounded more natural then the cs300.It also covered alot better in terms of off axis listening.Male voice was the kicker, more tone,the cs300 was a nice center but no match for the cs400.It's a better match then the cs245/300 series centers.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Off axis response is primary Tweeter duty, and since these had the same tweet, what was off axis (more than 30 degrees anyway).

Was the 400 just 'richer' or 'fuller' to you?

Just curious...

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    Off axis response was cleaner and more as it seemed directional.It doesn't matter that they both had the same exact tweeter, they performed differently in there different cabnets.The way it blended with the drivers was different as well....

Richer/fuller would be how I would start to describe to you want I experienced.It kinda went away in the front soundstage like it was one giant speaker across.

The responce od bass was stronger and more powerfull.......kinda where you want it...in the centerchannel.

There was one thing I did like better about the cs300 over the cs400...........size......it fit on top of my tv of then.It was lighter as well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2002
    If you can, try to go for the CSi40(replacement of CS400i). I got mine this summer and it kicks **** for movies and especially concert DVD's. I see that you're concerned with the size, but don't worry, mine is sitting on top of a Sony Wega 27". The speaker is heavier in the front so the front is slightly in front of my screen with the supplied rubber feet along the middle agaist the back of the TV(does that make sense?) and the thing won't move. The CSi40 is slightly wider than the 400i but not as tall. Another advantage is the dual power port. Depending on how the ports are tuned, the bass increase should be about 3db greater than the single power port on the 400i.

Maurice
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited October 2002
    Hey Bielfeldts,
    I own the 245, it's set up with my Fx300's and Rt800'i's it sounds great and like mentioned has the same tweet as the Rt line. I had a room constraint problem as wellwith the center channel...only 7"......but even when I demoed them I noticed the 245 to me had a more natural sounding voices eminating from the TV. I do agree that it isn't as great for music as the 400 but I personally listen to music in stereo or Orchestra mode which doesn't emphasize center channel anyway. But I have an emphisis on Ht with this setup.
    My 2 cents, Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center