Look What Came Today Part 2

tpeter
tpeter Posts: 65
edited October 2002 in Speakers
Well I received my SVS 20-39PC+ today after thinking it may not come till Monday, which really would have depressed me.
Anyhow I just did a little fine-tuning "test tunes from receiver" and set it up at 75db and right now it’s about at 80db on the sub.
I have it really hot right now just experimenting with room size and how loud I can play it. A lot of you probably think that this is way to hot but i can never play anywhere near reference level in my apartment. The upstairs lady complained about my PSW650 which from what I am finding out now cant come anywhere near the vicinity of this SVS Monster SUB!!!

The first test i did was with MONSTERS INC. I remember a lot of people saying how loud the part was when they had to bolt down that sock in the beginning of the movie. Well my PSW650 really didn’t do anything for me with that scene.
So i fast forward to that scene and was expecting a little more bass then i heard previous. TO my surprised it literally scared the crap out of me, it even knocked one of my girlfriends candles off the top of the TV.

I’m going to be testing a lot of movies in the next couple days and I am going to buy The Haunting DTS and Saving Private Ryan as well.
I want to see what all this hype is about with the HAUNTING.

Well I'll keep people updated but as for now I think I am going to try calibrating with the AVIA disk and see how that turns out.

Also I can say that everyone is right about their customer service, I received a free T-Shirt from them since my sub shipped a little later then normal.

Keep up the great work you guys at SVS, I work at Circuit City and everyone cant wait to come over and hear what this thing can do. You will probably get a few more customers from them and from me telling customers at my store that are looking for very high end Subwoofers about SVS.
Polk LSi 15
Polk LSi/C
Polk LSi/FX
SVS Ultra
SVS PB3000
Monolith 15 THX
Denon 3700h "switching to Onkyo rz50"
Monolith 7 AMP.
Post edited by tpeter on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited October 2002
    So,
    do you like the sub?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tpeter
    tpeter Posts: 65
    edited October 2002
    YEA The sub rocks , i cant wait for my upstairs neighbor to leave for the day so i can really crank this thing up.
    Polk LSi 15
    Polk LSi/C
    Polk LSi/FX
    SVS Ultra
    SVS PB3000
    Monolith 15 THX
    Denon 3700h "switching to Onkyo rz50"
    Monolith 7 AMP.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited October 2002
    LOL
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2002
    Todd:

As I pointed out yesterday in our email exchange at work, if you are using the Rat Shack meter, you are about 7-8 dB hot right now on the sub. This would be OK for lower level listening, and the dB-12 driver is far from fragile, but as Orange Peel found out, it has its limits.

Also, as you get used to truly clean, deep, flat bass without a boomy peak at 40 Hz, you will find yourself slowly cutting back on the sub level until it blends nicely instead of dominating the sound stage.

Calibrate to 75 dB on the RatShack, and that will get you about 2 dB hot and you should be able to take it right to reference level with no probs, except maybe on The Haunting DTS, an LOTR-FOTR. Work up slowly here, and monitor SPL peaks on C-weighted fast at the couch.

You should not ask for more than about 112 dB peaks at the couch from the sub if your room is average size and you are within 12 feet of the sub. Anymore than that and you might bottom it. Keep the SS set to 20 for now, also.

The dynamic range of The Haunting DTS is startling - be careful - the soundtrack is quiet until the bass hits.

We Were Soldiers is amazing, and SPR DTS is a great choice.

When the girl crys and the power goes out in Monster's Inc. - MAN!

Also, the knee drop from Morpheus in the sparring scene of the Matrix, and also when Neo and Agent Smith lock arms and fall to the ground after missing each other with guns in the subway - that bass is very, VERY deep - ditto for the sentinels locking onto the ship at the end.

You will hear and feel things the PSW650 could only dream about playing - enjoy the upgrade!

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS