Nintendo Wii?

Options
josh_parsons626
josh_parsons626 Posts: 219
edited June 2006 in Video Games
Does anybody know what's the deal with the new Nintendo? First I heard it was called Nintendo Evolution and it was supposed to be able to play regular nintendo, super nintendo, nintendo 64 and nintendo gamecube games. And I seen an add of it the other day and it's now called "Wii" with all new games. Does anybody know what's going on with this new thing?
Don't forget to look at My Home Theater :D

Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR503
Fronts - Polk Audio Monitor 40
Center - Polk Audio CS1
Surrounds - Paradigm Cinema ADP
Subwoofer - Velodyne VRP-1200
Post edited by josh_parsons626 on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Pay attention much?

First of all, yes they changed the name to Wii, although there has been some question about whether that will be the final name.

I'm not sure about it playing "old games", but in all honesty, it makes no sense.... how would it play Nintendo or Super Nintendo games? They were CARTRIDGE games. I can guarantee that the Wii is not going to have a cartridge slo, so the only way it would be able to play old games would be to either have some kind of emulator with all of the games built in, or sell them in some kind of old game collection package.

A little Google work probably could have told you all this and more without my condescending attitude.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited June 2006
    Options
    What's google?
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2006
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Pay attention much?

A little Google work probably could have told you all this and more without my condescending attitude.

A little harsh for a newbie, don't you think Bob?
    Venom
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Nah. I'm all about the tough love.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited June 2006
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Pay attention much?

First of all, yes they changed the name to Wii, although there has been some question about whether that will be the final name.

I'm not sure about it playing "old games", but in all honesty, it makes no sense.... how would it play Nintendo or Super Nintendo games? They were CARTRIDGE games. I can guarantee that the Wii is not going to have a cartridge slo, so the only way it would be able to play old games would be to either have some kind of emulator with all of the games built in, or sell them in some kind of old game collection package.

I thought the games would be saved on the small HDD than you could transfer it to the memory card. Thats another thing I don't understand, Nintendo is making a service where you can download games but they only make about 256mb HDD (I think its 256), while the xbox is like 40 GB. C'mon nintendo, at least make it 1GB! I want to get these games but have to store them on a memory card which will cost more money. I am going to have to say this now, If nintendo makes the wii any more than $199, I'm not buying it.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The Wii is looking to be quite an awesome system. It is nice and small, has awesome gyro sensed controllers. As far as the older nintendo games the only available games are going to be one made in-house by nintendo. (Mario games and stuff) As far as the memory, NES games average around 1MB where SNES games are 4-5MB max. N64 games are around 20MB so even with a 256MB memory card you can store a fairly large amount of games. As far as what type of storage medium they are going to use on the final SKU it is still up in the air. (Xbox 1 had a 8GB HDD and Xbox 360 has a 20GB HDD with 13GB available out of the box BTW.)

Here is a link showing off what the system is all about.
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6146540/index.html
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Its a removable storage card like used in digi cams, so you can purchase a huge one if you want. It just comes with the small one.

Anyway, its innovative, which the other next gen consoles can't claim much... if any. I might actually pick one up.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited June 2006
    Options
    A couple of things...

-Wii is the final name.

-512 MB internal Flash, with add'l SD Storage.
    -USB ports (for external drives?)

-NES games were kilobytes.

-There's no info about the VR Console service really, but, the way they've been talking, Sega Genesis and Turbo Grafx 16 are going to have the best of the system on the Wii, which leaves room to interpret that a great deal more is going to be from Nintendo, ala: Capcom, etc.

-It's gonna be the size of three DVD boxes put together, cool no?
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Mjr7531 wrote:
    -NES games were kilobytes.

-It's gonna be the size of three DVD boxes put together, cool no?

-Yeah, sorry, I should have said less than a megabyte although a rare few games topped out at 1MB.

-I still can't get over how small it is, I love it. Granted horsepower wise its clocking around the speed of the Xbox but the revolutionary controller scheme looks extremely cool not to mention highly optimized games. :cool:
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection