VSX-D811S and 4 ohm speakers (RTi28)

buckmurdock
buckmurdock Posts: 2
edited October 2002 in Troubleshooting
Hi, I recently purchased a pair of RTi28 speakers (4 ohm nominal impedence) to be used as front L/R in a 5.1 setting and a Pioneer VSX-D811s receiver. As I was going through the manual for the receiver, it said that it requires 8 to 16 ohm speakers. I was wondering if my speakers wiil work or if this will cause any problems. Thanks!
Post edited by buckmurdock on

Comments

• liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited October 2002
    Most likely you will have problems because the amplifier is not rated to play a 4 ohm load stable so a couple of things might happen.
    1. The receiver will run extremely hot when played at any volumes therefore it will end up damaging the transformer, capacitors,power supply,etc. etc.

2. You will notice that your music or movies will lose all there Dynamics as it has no reserve power for Dynamic Range and also the sound might become distorted as there is not enough power to properly amplify the speakers.

3. I would not recommend sending a distorted signal to your speakers as it will damage them with continued use.

Maybe you could pick up a little used 2-channel amp that can handle a 4 ohm load stable and use your Pioneer as a Preamp.
    That should get you by until you possibly get a new receiver or preamp and amp set-up that can handle that load.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    Agreed if in fact the speakers are 4 ohm load..I believe they are 8 ohms which you will be completely fine using that receiver...I'm gonna have to check that one.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2002
    Very good advice!!!! Well said!!!
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Confirmed...there 8 ohm.You'll be fine dude.....
    Dan
  • buckmurdock
    buckmurdock Posts: 2
    edited October 2002
    thanks for checking on that mantis. that's a huge relief!
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Anytime man..
    Dan