Imaging on FloorStanders v/s Bookshelves

Options
simphiwes
simphiwes Posts: 116
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Do bookshelves or floorstanders have better imaging or is it the same. i havent compared them myself and would like to know what anyone of you guys think.
(((((STEREO)))))
System 1(complete)
Front: Rti8
Intergrated: Valve Audio Epsilon
CD Player: Xindak Muse Delux 1.0
Media Player: Mede8er MED 200
Behringer DAC
Post edited by simphiwes on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2006
    Options
    There are too many variables involved to say whether a floorstander gernally provides better imaging or vice versa.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Imaging?

Hmm.... bookshelves have the ability to be positioned almost any way you like, which could mean they image better in certain situations. With floorstanders, you are lacking in options as it is difficult to find an ideal tweeter height if the floorstander is too short or too tall for instance.

In the end, when all is said and done, imaging should be close to equal. What you get with a floorstander is a better overall body... something that I feel, even with a sub, you cant get with a bookshelf+sub combo.

Just my 2 cents.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Gotta go with early on this. Even in the same lineup, there are still too many variables. Let's use the LSi9 and 15 for example. The 9 is more flexible in height and placement, but will not allow you to play the full spectrum of frequencies. The 15's have a bigger range and less worries about the stability of stands, but might prove more difficult to place optimally.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Gotta agree with Early,just p/u a pair of tyler acoustics taylos monitors,the soundstage is incredible,had em on the floor and on stands,still experimenting,placement,placement,placement :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Though Early and I said essentially the same thing, everyone agrees with Earl.

Alright... I see how it is.

*Walks out*

Just kidding guys. :)
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Joey_V wrote:
    Though Early and I said essentially the same thing, everyone agrees with Earl.

Alright... I see how it is.

*Walks out*

Just kidding guys. :)

I agree with what Early said about Joey. /nod :)
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I've heard that bookshelf speakers tend to "disappear" easier than floorstanders when listening to music, but a lot of that has to do with the quality/location/etc. As for imaging, refer above ;)
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited June 2006
    Options
    bookshelves imo have better imaging. comparing an lsi9 vs. 15 reinforced my opinion.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Methinks it's all about location... bookshelves are easier to place.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I dont like bookshelfs.

But I currently own a pair of bookshelf speakers. They sound better in my -small- room.

HOWEVER, I will say that they as a speaker do not capture the music. Sure they have the sweetest midrange for vocals Ive heard yet, and they capture the artist. But when it comes down to it, all I really hear when I listen to them is sound, very accurately done sound.

They are great speakers with great sound - but I only sit down to listen to them for short intervals.

Bookshelfs are quiet and pleasant. Not involving to me.

Towers by trade sound larger and deeper and control you and the room. The room or you cant control them due to size. Its all about prescence, its all about the music.

You will kill yourself in this hobby looking for that more accurate speaker with the better imaging. Lots of speakers out there. Find one you can enjoy and youll be there.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2006
    Options
    IME, bookshelfs have the ability to disappear into your room easier. They image better. But towers have more 'presence', which I prefer. I like my images over-the-top big with a presentation that gets physical. You need to move a lot of air. So if this is what you like, go as big as you can get.

But there is still something I like about small bookshelfs. They're very sweet and great for soft music. My LSi9 is great on imaging and mid-range purity.
  • simphiwes
    simphiwes Posts: 116
    edited June 2006
    Options
    i agree with the presence issue, floorstanders definatelly have a lot more presents than bookshleves, i just wanted to know if the one images better than the other. from your responses i guess neither do a bad job at it or better.

do any of you know how good the stereo imaging is on the Rti8?
    (((((STEREO)))))
    System 1(complete)
    Front: Rti8
    Intergrated: Valve Audio Epsilon
    CD Player: Xindak Muse Delux 1.0
    Media Player: Mede8er MED 200
    Behringer DAC
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2006
    Options
    simphiwes wrote:
    i agree with the presence issue, floorstanders definatelly have a lot more presents than bookshleves, i just wanted to know if the one images better than the other. from your responses i guess neither do a bad job at it or better.

do any of you know how good the stereo imaging is on the Rti8?

Properly done, the RTi8 is definitely a good imager.