Ok let me ask again, Can you upgrade woofers?

faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I asked this on a separete thread and got no answer as when i responded on someone elses thread of the same nature. seems like a easy question but i have no idea and maybe no one else does is why i got no reply. Sounds like i'm getting crappy, But i'm not, LOL Ok can you change woofers in any given subwoofer? and can you upgrade the amps with another companies parts that is, say My jbl sub with a SVS woofer and maybe amp. let me know as i am very very interested to hear what you all think????

Just can it be done with good results, or should i write JBL and ask them if they have upgrades for what i have? Thanks again
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2002
    subwoofers are designed with certain goals and at a fixed price point. You can upgrade the amp with little problem, but will the driver just get fried? You can upgrade the driver but was it designed for the size of box you are putting it in?

The quick answers are yes and yes, but will it really "upgrade" your sub?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Ok so is the real answer no? Seemed viable being you could build a do it yourself speaker with no priblem, HUH, I don't know thats why i asked. Being a new svs starts at $550-900 and polks are around 4-500 easy, I wanted to spend a few hundred and buy a new driver and or amp, Well maybe i won't .......
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    faster100, it has to be viable and I agree with you...

The enclosure size is a known, we know the box is ported, it has the dims greater than those for the car sub line but lacks power and a woofer that can reach higher levels. Polk has published SPL curves for the car audio line but not for home audio. If we had the curves a better understanding as to an upgrade could be better understood. I am a firm believer that size matters but why not, as a hobbie, try for an upgrade on the smaller cavities.

I say it would be fun to attempt an upgrade but we need the support of Polk or an outside vendor with the tuning software to hit the performance we want.

I have so far disconnected the internal power supply of the PSW350 and ran my sub out into my Outlaw amp which drives the woofer from the outlaw, Double the Power!. My couch vibrates now and definetly have more air flow like the svs owners talk about.

I would just like more detail regarding this effort because refinements can be made but IMO can never exceed that of a larger cavity.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2002
    Speaker drivers have certain electrical and physical characteristics that determine the appropriate box dimensions, enclosure type (ported, sealed, etc) and various other aspects such as port dimensions in a ported system. Variations on these physical dimensions will affect the performance and sound. The *driver* determines the box - so if you put a driver into any old box, the results are questionable. The box could be too large, too small, or of the wrong type - any of which could keep the driver from producing to its potential. If you want to place a driver in a box you already own, you'd do best trying to find a driver that matches well with that box. Perhaps find a driver that needs a slightly smaller internal volume, which means you could reduce the internal volume of your pre-existing box to match the driver.
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Seems like alot more thought than i anticipated. The enclosure isnt all that small, I posted the size on another thread here, Maybe i'm crawling up the wrong tree looking for improvments.
    Seems the volume has to be up almost all the way on this one to be loud, thats even with the sub out gain at 8+db on the receiver.
    and it gets and has for a long time really hot(the amp on the sub) has shut down in the past from really loud playing for extended periods, Its was like $400.00 new 6 years ago and it would yield 100 bucks used today so maybe i have gotten my money worth from it. Or could i add another sub with this, These are some of the many questions i have, any ways Thanks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    What is the difference between the New PSW404 verse the PSW350?

Looks like more Power and and perhaps a new woofer....

Very little change in the cavity at all.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2002
    DIY all the way. If you want big bass on a budget, get theeself on-line to any number of DIY websites and dealers do the research and build yourself a big **** idiot-proof killer sub for around $500.

These guys are 100% correct - you are barking up the wrong tree by replacing drivers and amps in a current enclosure - not enough bang for the buck.

BTW, SV drivers are not available to anyone but valid customers - like Orange Peel!!

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Nah! i don't want a DIY sub, just was being cheap and wanted to upgrade the stuff in this one. Weather it be with sv parts or some from parts express, But i see the general idea is bad to try and do this, A new one is in order when i get the money. Thanks everyone
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Faster, my brotha's speak the truth, but play around with it if you want. Find out how big your sub enclosure is in cu ft, and buy a driver. Just make sure you can return if it doesn't suit your needs.

At the minimum, you will get your learn on. Nothing wrong with a little experimenting.... a little more fill, a little less, cover the port, enlongate the port (cardboard tube)...etc etc etc

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Well it all sound cool as i like to tinker but i most likely will just get a new one, I know it can be done and maybe with good results but then maybe it won't and its just not really worth the hassle. I go by the rule of thumb if 10 people say its not a good idea it usually isn't. If 9 say yes and one says no well then maybe give it a try, Of course i don't always listen to what other people think or say but sometimes its in order. Just maybe no one has tried it, But it works and pretty good to boot but i have had it for longer then i can stand and want something new updated and new to try out. Thanks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp