What is an EPL?

Options
seo
seo Posts: 305
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I have a NAD 7020 receiver and I love it's tuner but want a better preamp. Can I take the preamp out of the receiver (to use the tuner) and run it to the EPL return of a preamp and back to the amplification section of the receiver?

In other words, I want to use the tuner and amp section of the 7020, but want to use a separate preamp. Specifically, I'm looking at a NAD 1300, which has an EPL. So I was thinking:

Pre out from the 7020(set to tuner) to thr EPL return on the Preamp. Outputs from the preamp to the amp inputs on the 7020.

Scott
Signature goes here
Post edited by seo on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2006
    Options
    No reason why it shouldn't.
  • seo
    edited June 2006
    Options
    No reason why it shouldn't.

Thanks- :)
    Signature goes here
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,732
    edited June 2006
    Options
    An EPL (external proccessor loop) is usually for an EQ, surround proc., etc. I doubt you would want to use it for a tuner input.

Just run the pre out from the reciever to the tuner input on the new pre-amp.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Or just set the receiver to "TUNER" input, and then feed the preamp the tuner signal through the receiver's "TAPE OUT".

The EPL input is just another line-level input, just like the TAPE or TUNER input. In fact, it's really just another tape loop.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Or just set the receiver to "TUNER" input, and then feed the preamp the tuner signal through the receiver's "TAPE OUT".

There you go, use the non variable output.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • seo
    edited June 2006
    Options

The EPL input is just another line-level input, just like the TAPE or TUNER input. In fact, it's really just another tape loop.

Ok thanks, that makes sense.
    Signature goes here