What other speakers do you own?

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited October 2002 in Speakers
Another 'just wondering' post......What other speakers, other than Polk, do you have or had?

Right now, I have:

Dahlquist DQ-10's
Boston Acoustics A40's
B&W 601 S2
Pioneer CS-88's

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2002
    Troy, 90% of my speakers (about 16, total count) are Polk incl 3 Polk subs, I have a pair of Yamie tower in the breakfast area, one Yamie sub with remote control and few of the AR subs in the remote areas...cheers
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2002
    I have a pair of Micro Acoustics 3DX as my rear speaks.... I had to replace the subs in them, though.... and seeing as how I replaced them with Rockford Fosgate Punch Z's, they aren't really the same speakers anymore. But man those 3dx's sounded nice when they were newer. I still think I may have someone rebuild them.... just the surrounds rotted away. Foam starts to dry rot after 20-some years.

DooD

*Note* I am not the original owner of those speakers, since I'm only 16. They were originally my uncle's. I love hand-me-downs, even if you have to put some money into 'em ;-)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited October 2002
    tony, i got a set of ads L-990, a set of wharfedale diamond 4, a pair of energy take 5, 1 celeston center, a pair of phase technology 10" subs. this is my bedroom system the energys are in my main system. i run my bedroom system on a onkyo integra tx-ds 939 receiver.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited October 2002
    nadams, we all started out with hand me downs or cheap stuff that we can afford, but the good thing about it is the fun of upgrading, like all of us.we love this hobby, it will grow on you for yrs to come.
    thats why i like polk speakers, the comon man can get the good sound at a good price, and be in the high end of audio. and not being a millionaire.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    I tried I really did....but I for now can't own anything else but Polk.I'm even going to use all inwalls threw my new house....all Polk.Outdorrs are up in the air,so no No other brands in my home....sorry.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by joe logston
    nadams, we all started out with hand me downs or cheap stuff that we can afford, but the good thing about it is the fun of upgrading, like all of us.we love this hobby, it will grow on you for yrs to come.
    thats why i like polk speakers, the comon man can get the good sound at a good price, and be in the high end of audio. and not being a millionaire.

Case in point... I paid $15 for my 5jr's. Only prob is, the tweeter was blown in both of them. Aand.... they're $50 a piece. It looks as though they'll be waiting until I get paid to be replaced :-). Plus I'm trying to get the system I'm putting in my car all built up. Unfortunately, none of the stuff there is Polk. Too expensive for me (keep in mind I work 10hrs/wk).

DooD
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Try the $28 Peerless from Parts Express, I've heard it's pretty close to the Polk SL designs...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=277-400&DID=7

On Topic, it would take a while to name all the models, but I use/have used the following brands...

Wharfedale, AR, Celestion, B&W, Pioneer, KLH, Jensen, RBH, Ratshack, Inifinty, Design Acoustics, Dahlquist, KEF, Paradigm, DCM, Sansui, JBL, Audiosource...

Polk has stayed a consistant player in my house throughout the 'years' though...

Cheers,
    Russ

Imagine making a list of EVERY speaker make/model you have EVER owned....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    Had:
    Wharfedale WE60s I think
    Kenwood
    Acoustiflex model 19s
    Fisher HUGE

Have:
    Polk Monitor 10Bs
    Acoustiflex model 17
    Paradigm center & rears
    KLH center & rears that came with a rcvr
    KLH indoor/outdoor WTF $20.
    Altec Lansing Segovias needing original cabinets
    Monitor Audio Bronze 2
    Yamaha sub
    Radio Shack full-range needing horn cabinets
    RtR Series IV
    Sony walkman speakers hooked to the computer
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2002
    recent models from MB Quart & NHT, and the entry-level bookshelf from MTX's previous line. I bought the MTX's as a replacement for the spkrs that came with a minisystem, and all I knew was that the minisystem said "4 ohms". I walked into the store & said "Do you have any 4 ohm speakers?", & the MTX's were it. Talk about a $130 pair of speakers making a difference! They are now the rears for a coworker's Pro Logic surround system. By coincidence, not design, I've bought bookshelfs from two companies known more for car than home (MTX & MB Quart) & found them to be very good. Other spkrs I've owned beside Polk & the the 3 brands named above I would not call acceptable & will not name, except to say that one was the dreaded "B" word.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2002
    JBL N24 - Outdoor deck
    Advent - Large Advents - bought ew in 1980 - still sound good today
    AR 4x - bought new in 1971 - still work but they need refurbishing
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited October 2002
    I have a pair of AR215 bookshelves in the bedroom.
    Two pair of Advent Marbl Indoor/Outdoor speakers for the deck/garage.
    An old pair of god-awful KLH Indoor/Outdoors
    A pair of big Advent bookshelves from about 1988 (I think they are called The Legacy)...one in need of a new bass driver. They are probably about my all-time favorite speaker though....the highs are just soooo smooth. Gotta fix them puppies for a 2-channel set-up.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • gidrah
    edited October 2002
    Troy - How are the Boston A40s. Tonight I saw some A60s I might check out. There wasn't a price, but they were at the new Salvation Army.

They also had some Advent 3a's and an Onkyo receiver. I don't need any of this stuff, but dang it's fun.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    Mark, what were the prices on the 3a's and the Bostons?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    edited October 2002
    The Bostons didn't have a price, but they looked to be in good shape. I'll go back soon. Tonight my sleeping daughter and wife were in the car. Gotta hurry!

The 3a were $35. The wood seemed to be in great shape. The grills were both shot. From what I could tell, something didn't look right on one of the mids. It didn't look like something that should've been there. I couldn't see the mid on the other. I've been looking for a picture of one to be sure.

I'll be back to check on the Bostons. I need some good bookshelfs in the soon-to-be fishroom. I'll check on the 3a's when I'm there. I'll try tofind out there originallity in the mean time. If you want me to pick 'em up for you, let me know.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited October 2002
    i got...
    KLH - 900bs i think
    Optimus - model unknown
    M&K mx-90, i got smart and looked on the back and found the model number...amazing...lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    Mark,

I think you will like the Bostons. I'd say if you can pick them up for 50 or so, do it. Not the last word in speakers, but fun to listen to. The thing I'd watch for is the surrounds, Bostons A-series are notorious rotted surrounds.

BDT
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2002
    Carver Amazing Platinum's
    AR-9's
    KLH 6 (two pair)
    KLH 17
    KLH 24
    KLH 101
    Advent Model 3
    The New Advent Loudspeaker (mid 70's)
    Electro-Voice Marquis
    Electro-Voice Model 7
    Boston Acoustics CR-8
    ADC 303ax
    EPI 100V
    AR-302's
    Kef 102's
    Roy Allison Labs Mini-Reference
    Auratone 5C's
    Audiofile Mini's
    Optimus Pro-7
    Optimus LX-4
    Optimus Minimus 7 (two pair)
    Polk Prototype Computer Speakers (manufactured for H-P, but never put into production, still up for grabs @ $25 plus shipping).

All above speakers are inhouse right now, except for one pair of KLH 6's which are on my desk at work.

There's more but I have **** to do.

As of 10 Oct noontime, add one pair mint JBL J-2060, and a Boston Acoustics BA375 sub/sat computer deally. Ashamed to admit how little these newbies cost. Now...... to find a "lover" for them.

Tony Rome
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2002
    I had:

Lafayette Criterian 1A's (first pair, 5.25" bookshelves)
    AAL 12" 3-ways (Man was I cookin)
    RS Mach II (Sounded very pretty but not acurate at all)

Then, well, Matt Polk started taking all my money.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2002
    Right now I am 100% Polk, stay tuned it can change any minute.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited October 2002
    Have: Martin Logan Prodigy

Had: everything's kinda blurred together, but nothing really interesting, except for maybe a pair of NAD 2-way towers back in the mid-80's.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited October 2002
    Have some PSB Alpha Bs, man, for $250 a pair, they are really nice. Great for an active area because of the metal grille. I need to get them back from the parents ;)

Had some R10s too.

Computer speakers? Too many to list!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2002
    i haven't bought many speakers in my lifetime. but here goes.
    first was a pair of small bookshelfs from Radio Shack
    2nd and i still have these from about 20 yrs ago. small floor standing Fisher 35 watt 3 way's.
    others about 12 yrs old. KLH towers. these sound okay. but to brite to listen to for very long. each tower has 4 8" drivers.. two front and 2 rear, 1 5" mid and 1 2" tweeter. heavy things. ported

computer speakers. Cambridge soundworks cubes. with small subwoofer. then nothing but Polks for the home and the car
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited October 2002
    Had:
    AR -7
    Magnepan MMG

Currently:
    Magnepan MG12
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    Tony, whats yer' take on the MMGs? Can they stand alone musically? Even with the size taken into consideration, I try to compare them to bookshelf speaks in the same price point.

I'd be interested in your thoughts, the idea of a new, planar-magnetic speaker from the factory for $550 shipped gives me morning wood.....

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2002
    Not going to be the last word in low end response, that's for sure. Not going to "rock" either. Small ensemble works and jazz trio's (piano, bass, and drums) will probably be their strong suit. That's my take. I have wanted to recommend Mag's to others, especially with that delivered price. But I stop short when I realize few people are into chamber music, and smaller acoustic ensembles.

I actually think those are "teaser" models. They get you sucked in with that nice midrange. Pretty soon you convince yourself that one or two steps up the line will deliver the low end and ability to occasionally "rock" that you seek. In reality, I don't think they will.

Sucks don't it?

And now if I could extend my sincerest apology to Tonyv1. I mistakenly thought the MMG question was directed to Tony Rome. My mistake, but my opinion hanging out there anyway.

El Roma
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    Like I would call anyone else Tony, that post was directed accordingly.

Viva El Roma!

Cheers,
    Rooster
    (3.942 sheets)
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited October 2002
    Own-
    Def Tech BP2004TL Mains
    Def Tech C/L/R 2300 Center
    Def Tech BPX Rears

Sonance Outdoors

RBH MC-616's In-walls

RBH MC-6's Bedroom and Kitchen In-walls

Owned
    B&W DM 602s2's Bookshelfs
    Technics Rattle Boxes (Teenager Years)
    :lol:
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002

BDT
    I actually think those are "teaser" models

El Roma,

Compared to the Amazings, you could pretty much say that about any speaker, no ? :D

BDT
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2002
    Damm it George...where have you been? still collect frequent miles? I didn't list one of the Optimus Minimus 7 speaker because I finally found it in the artic and it belong to you. Email me and it will be on it way to you...welcome back El Roma...
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited October 2002
    Russman,
    The MMG are teasers, but what teasers. You have a year to upgrade in the Maggie line without losing any more cash or send them back in 60 days and out only the shipping back to Magnepan.
    Anyway, If you're not into heavy bass music the MMGs are magical. Other members of MUG (Maggie Users Group) couple them with a FAST sub (REL Storm III) and have no complaints. I especially like my Maggies with acoustic guitar and piano music. I not using a sub, but my Parasound amp is rated 315W @ 4ohms. Maggies LOVE high current amps.
    My favorite track to show off the Maggie's bass power is Rickie Lee Jones "It's Like This" track 1 "Show Biz Kids" listen to the acoustic bass!