Cooling Fan

Jimmie
Jimmie Posts: 103
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I need a cooling fan to put in back of my component rack. Can anyone suggest a fan that runs quiet at a fairly slow rpm? I now have a desk fan back there (12"). I have it plugged in to my receiver so it comes on with all the other equipment. The problem is the noise that thing makes. Thanks.

Jimmie
Post edited by Jimmie on

Comments

• liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited October 2002
    Jimmie,

You might want to look at Elan's ZFAN. It might seem like a lot of money but it's performance is worth it. I have used this fan in a lot of custom jobs and it blends into systems perfectly as they are almost totally quiet.

Also, you can get little 4" or 5" fans that have twin bare leads that you can solder on the necessary power pack and switch it through a triggered surge protector or a line conditioner with switched outlets. I apologize I do not remember the name of the company we use or the model number but if you research a little I am sure you could find one for around fifty dollars
  • Jimmie
    edited October 2002
    Thanks for the info. I will do some research on that one.

Jimmie
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited October 2002
    I also needed to install a fan, but I did not connect it to the receiver. I purchased a 4" fan and went to a local commercial heating and air-conditioning store and purchased an inline thermostat (You won't find them at Lowes or HomeDepot). Wired the fan into the thermostat and when the temperature is reached the fan comes on. I set the differential to 5 degrees and once that is reached it shuts off. The longest it has stayed on is 5-10 minutes. Good luck.
  • Jimmie
    edited October 2002
    Greg,
    What fan did you get and is it very loud? I like turning mine on with the receiver but it is just to loud.

Jimmie
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited October 2002
    I picked the fan up at a local electronics store, it is a non-brand name.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2002
    Depends how "fancy " your rack is, but you can use a standard 80x80mm computer case fan hooked to a 12 volt power pack and into the switched outlet on your receiver, the fan can sit atop the "hot" componet or screwed anywhere you desire and noise is not a problem, this is what i have done with my M-504 heater,amp
    and it runs cools, of course the receiver has a temp controlled fan in the back from the facty.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Jimmie
    edited October 2002
    I am looking in to computer fans now. This is probably the way I will go.

Jimmie