Powering LSI's

tjweekstjweeks Posts: 6
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I have a Yamaha HTR5280, 100 watts x 5. Would this be sufficient to power a set of LSI 15's. Thanks, Tom
Post edited by tjweeks on

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,973
    edited October 2002
    Since you said "a set" I assume you mean a pair only. It will power them, but they are a 4 ohm load and there is no way your receiver is going to really drive them. You will need a good seperates to do that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• phuzphuz Posts: 2,413
    edited October 2002
    I agree with F1nut. Also, there is a good chance that your reciever will clip out or go into protection mode at higher volumes since the LSi will be sucking it dry. ;)

It'll work, but I would plan on getting a seperate amp sometime. I went ahead and picked up a good used amp before I I got my LSi's. A good amp really isn't that expensive, and it's well worth it.
  • Steve@3dai[email protected] Posts: 983
    edited October 2002
    My Arcam reciever powers my 9s just fine.

I really don't think you need seperates for any of the LSi line, just a good quality high current reciever.

My .02
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • tpetertpeter Posts: 54
    edited October 2002
    what about my ONKYO 797? Do i need more current, they seem to running all right on it , but maybe im missing out and i dont even no it.
    Polk LSi 15
    Polk LSi/C
    Polk LSi/FX
    SVS Ultra
    B&K AVR 507
    ps3 for BluRay "ps4 soon"
  • Frank ZFrank Z Polk-a-dweeb Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2002
    I know I am! That's why I'm going to make the jump to an Anthem AVM-20 pre-amp and an Anthem PVA-7 amp.

You might want to look at this thread also...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93089&highlight=lsi
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Steve@3dai[email protected] Posts: 983
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by tpeter
    what about my ONKYO 797? Do i need more current, they seem to running all right on it , but maybe im missing out and i dont even no it.

I looked up your amp, and you should be just fine. These speakers aren't THAT hard to drive, they just need a nice high current (which doesn't mean high wattage) amp. Your Onkyo should suit you well. Stop worrying about equipment and start enjoying it! :)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • liv4famliv4fam Posts: 311
    edited October 2002
    Hey TJ,

You really might want to look into some lower impedance amplifiers with a little more power and current. From my own personal experiences with owning Yamaha I can tell you that they really do not like a 4 ohm speaker even ones with a moderately high sensitivity rating. I have the RXV-1 and I have used it to drive many speakers from 8-6-4 ohm speakers all ranging from 85db to 91db sensitive. And IMO the Yamaha is ideal for a 8 ohm speaker with 86 to 88 db sensitivity because it simply can bring life and dynamics to the speaker with ease and it retains all of it's dynamics.

But when I run speakers like Dynaudio 1.3 MKII's off the Yamaha at 4 ohms they literally suck the thing dry. The receiver actually starts too distort as it does not have the power requirements nor the Drive at that ohm load.

Recently, I have also had the experience of putting the Def Tech BP2004TL's on it and same thing 4 ohm at 91db sense with it's own internal amp for the powered sub and the Yamaha has a really hard time pushing the Bi-polar tower.

I think in your case being that you own a great pair of speakers (CONGRATULATIONS) you owe it to yourself (if the budget permits) too put them on a nice seperate pre/pro amp combo. Parasound, Rotel, B&K, hell even older Adcom is all really good seperates for not a lot of money and you get really great sound that will show you what the LSI15's are completely capable of sounding like.

Good Luck
    I sense much dishonesty in you...............Sense much fear in you.
    Lead you down the dark path they will.