Return of Onkyo stereo components

Options
Danny Tse
Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
From the Home Entertainment 2006 show report at Stereophile.com....

onkyo2chn.jpg
Onkyo held a press conference that really made us smile. It was all about stereo.

The $699.99 A-9555 employs Onkyo's vector linear technology to correct the high distortion that plagues most PWM designs. VL technology modulates the signal with an integration circuit rather than a comparator, which, Onkyo says,"cancels" the positive and negative pulses of transient distortion. Onkyo claims this effectively smoothes the analog modulation and "removes" the error.

The A-9555 puts out 100Wpc into an 8 ohm load and 200Wpc into 4 ohms.

And did we mention that it has a phono input with discrete phono equalization? Onkyo says this gives the A-9555's RIAA section excellect S/N performance and dynamic range without sacrificing transient response.

The matching DX-7555 CD player (price tbd) also employs vector Linear technology, this time in a shaping circuit that "smoothes out" the jagged edges left between the sampling point of D-to-A conversion.

The DX-7555 uses a 192kHz/24-bit Wolfson Microelectronics DAC and features controllable settings for digital filter, polarity, and clock frequency.

Did we mention that theA-555 and DX-7555 look like a million bucks?

So the integrated amp is actually a digital amp. I have been seeing Onkyo market a very similar integrated amp, the A-1VL, in Hong Kong and in Europe as an add-on 2 channel amp for music reproduction when mated to its home theater receivers with pre-outs. I wonder how this new Onkyo amp will stack on against offering from NAD, Cambridge Audio, etc....

The Onkyo A-1VL is the 4th component down in the below pic....

AUDIOSYSTEM.jpg
Post edited by Danny Tse on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2006
    Options
    glad to see it, I allways liked onkyo. it was my dad's brand of choice for a while.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited June 2006
    Options
    shouldn't this deserve to be a part of their "Integra" line?
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The old 70/80 era Onkyo had some of the best phono inputs around. Maybe they can duplicate it.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Options
    That new unit looks pretty nice. If it's of a solid metal, I'll bet it feels like a tank, too.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Home Theatre
    Home Theatre Posts: 469
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Has anyone heard the new onyko htib the 790?
    Everything I own burned in the fire!!!!!!!!!!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited June 2006
    Options
    IMO, one one hand it's great to see someone supporting 2-channel but, I'm not overly thrilled (not really thrilled at all) about it being a class D amplifier. All those circuits (gimmicks ?) to offset many of the downfalls of class D amplification.

I guess in this day and age cost consiousness is a big factor. What happened to pure 2-channel design without all the tricks that seem to be used all over in the HT set.

Give me a very simple straight forward design, no tone controls, big **** caps, dual toroids, some beefy binding posts, robust circuit design using robust output trannys, heavy biased to class A and I'd be happy. :D .

Wait!!!!! I guess the vintage electronics market has that covered.

I guess I just have to accept we are moving into a different era.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Still can't stand the silver, even if it is supposed to be vintage. Do they come in other flavors?
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2006
    Options
    aaharvel wrote:
    shouldn't this deserve to be a part of their "Integra" line?

they ctually split Onkyo and Integra as 2 seperate brand names now. Doesnt seem like much success because I dont hear much from the Integra line. Onkyo does have the more recognizable name as a brand name over Integra. now if it was branded Onkyo Integra, like in the past, then that would work. but just branding it Integra would shoot themselves in the foot.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Danny Tse
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Demiurge wrote:
    Still can't stand the silver, even if it is supposed to be vintage. Do they come in other flavors?

Onkyo Europe has 4 stereo integrated amp in its line there, including the one in the original post. There are all available in silver or black.
  • Danny Tse
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ohskigod wrote:
    they ctually split Onkyo and Integra as 2 seperate brand names now. Doesnt seem like much success because I dont hear much from the Integra line. Onkyo does have the more recognizable name as a brand name over Integra. now if it was branded Onkyo Integra, like in the past, then that would work. but just branding it Integra would shoot themselves in the foot.

Integra is Onkyo's upmarket line, much like Pioneer's Elite or Sony's ES. While I think Integra packs Onkyo's best stuff, it is more focused with the custom installation market rather than high performance.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Looks like a great int. amp. The power rating doubled at 4 ohms. Many amps only comes close to doubling. Thanks for the info, Danny.
  • Danny Tse
    edited June 2006
    Options
    More info....from enjoythemusic.com's 06/09/2006 news item
    Onkyo has introduced their high-end stereo A-9555 integrated amplifier and DX-7555 compact disc player ($699.99 and $599.99 respectively).

The integrated amplifier showcases Onkyo's 4th generation VL Digital power hybrid 'Class D' amplifier technology that will soon be within many other Onkyo products. Features in the A-9555 include 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (200 watts into 4 ohms), seven stereo inputs including two tape/MD record loops, and a high quality phono preamplifier circuit with discrete RIAA equalization. The Onkyo DX-7555 CD player is compatible with CD, CD-R/RW, and MP3-encoded discs and includes a "super-precision clock circuit," which has a tolerance of just +/- 1.5 ppm for low jitter. Other features include a Wolfson Microelectronics DAC circuit with user-selectable profiles for either "sharp" (flat up to 20 kHz) or "slow" (gradual) high frequency rolloff.