What to do with VHS Tapes?

Options
soiset
soiset Posts: 724
edited June 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I don't know how long it's been since I watched anything on VHS, and now with HD-DVD and Blu-ray here, even DVD's are starting to look obsolete.

I am a consummate recycler, and have this pile of plastic and magnetic tape and little tiny screws here collecting dust. What should I do with them?
Post edited by soiset on

Comments

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Found this on the internet.

For a good cause
    (bottom left Page 2)

http://www.wastediversion.org/pdffiles/04spring.pdf

They will format, clean the tapes and sell them to tv stations, communication depts in colleges, training facilities, etc. Check your local area for similar programs.

Here is another article:
    http://www.grist.org/advice/ask/2004/06/17/umbra-film/

They will sell the tapes to police depts, surveillance companies, etc.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Trash

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Watch them? A good movie is a good movie, regardless of the format. I still watch my VHS movies that aren't available on DVD
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Excellent Flea Market thread! :D
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Do I hear "Bonfire"?

C'mon guys, bring your Beta, Mini Disk, VHS, Cassettes, 8-Track and vinyl ;) over to soiset's, I have the marshmallows

But seriously, those previous links seem like a good idea, as does selling them. Of course, you can always donate them to a Goddwill or similar store for a tax write off and also allow those who cannot afford DVD to get movies.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I would set them on fire and dance around them naked, but that's just me.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Get a good multi head, stereo VCR, clean and demag, and record music on it. Better quality than most gruntball R2R's, and 2 / 4 / 6 hours on a tape makes the 'party mix' a breeze. Tape is tape, and VCR's are very underrated, with the R2R 'cool factor'.

I have a CLEAN Panasonic I still use, for just that. I haven't made a new tape in a while, but the ones I have sound great.

Yeah, I still buy Minidisc too, mostly out of Europe.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Donate to goodwill or sell them. There are a lot of people who love that stuff.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • soiset
    soiset Posts: 724
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Except for the bonfire and trash, I think I'll use some of all of these ideas. Thanks!