DVD Playback On the XBox 360?

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,085
edited June 2006 in Video Games
Does anyone use it for this? How does it look, play? etc...

I seriously want to get rid of my DVDP player... and I would love to use my console as it.

How is the sound and picture quality.

Id like to hear from someone reputable and a long term member - no offense.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Well I am a total noob on these forums but I thought I would give you a link to this site which is very reputable.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=125

Not that you care, coming from me, but I find the playback to be rather ho-hum. The $100 HD upconverting DVD players I found to be a lot stronger in performance. But do check out the link nonetheless.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The VQ is what you should expect from a video game console. Its nothing remarkable, but better than the PS2 and what I've seen from some real low end grunt ball DVDps. I have yet to try the optical out on my HT.
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited June 2006
    Options
    its ok, i'm not a real video/audio-phile type, but its passable. I thought my Oppo looked and sound much better (when it worked, which was like twice in 5 months). If you want to watch a DVD it wont make you sad, but it wont make you happy either =P

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,085
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

Kind of what I was expecting.

Darn.

Thanks again.

Anymore feedback is welcome.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The Nice thing about the 360 player is that it does play PAL disks. Not that you would want to know that, but it is a nice little added feature.

I have played a few disks in it and it was watchable. Whatever. I think it would make for a decent player if you wanted to make it your main one.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • mutelight
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Just FYI today a Dashboard update came out and VASTLY improved the DVD playback. If you are connected to live just power up and it will automatically download. :D
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I was wondering what that was about. I'll check it out tonight.
  • mutelight
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Here is the complete list of updates if you are curious.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/press/2006/0605-springrelease-features.html
    Photo Gallery
  • punk-roc
    edited June 2006
    Options
    cool, i'll have to check that out as well.

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2006
    Options
    From what I can tell from watching last night, the quality is much better. Much more like what I am used to, watching DVDs from a regular player, on a regular TV. Less grainy, more smoothed out (almost to a fault) and just more like a real TV performance of a DVD.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited June 2006
    Options
    **** thanks for the update....I will take a look at it.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2006
    Options
    It definitely appears to work better. What games are you two playing a lot lately? Still on BF? I couldn't get into that game.
  • punk-roc
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I still cant get enough of Oblivion, i dont get much time for video games, but any time i do have is immediately usurped by Elder Scrolls... Good to hear the movie playback is a little better seeing as i'm using the xbox as primary dvd player since my Oppo shitted out. time to invest in a real dvd player...

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...