New to this forum

Options
vman71
vman71 Posts: 13
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi,

I'm getting ready to upgrade my cousin's Polk RT10 (2 pair) and CS245 speakers. I'm going to upgrading the crossover networks. He decided that he wanted to upgrade his crossover networks after he heard a few pair of Klipsch speaker that I upgraded.

I don't know if there is any interest from any of you on this forum, but I wanted to let you all know that I can upgrade your Polk speaker crossovers if you are interested.

Thanks,
Mike
Post edited by vman71 on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2006
    Options
    by upgrade, do you mean replace with caps of the same value, just better quality? or doing a completly different crossover design, thus changing the speaker entirely?
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • vman71
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'm going to replacing all the caps and resistors with better quality (with the same value) parts. I'm also going to possibly be swapping out the inductors. At a minimum, all the caps and resistors will be replaced with much better parts.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'd say that before anyone will send part of their prized speakers to you, they'd likely want some info.......like where you are located, how much you charge for the service, and some references.

Welcome to CP.:)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • ohskigod
    edited June 2006
    Options
    yeah, the first takers will be local I'm sure :D once your more established, youll probably get some more interested parties though, that sounds pretty cool.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • vman71
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'll try and post some pictures of my work later on tonight.

Thanks!
    Mike
  • ohskigod
    edited June 2006
    Options
    cool idea, pics are allways cool :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• ohskigod
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'm wondering if you should structure this toward older speakers, say like vintage polk, klipsch, bozak. whatever.

luckily for me, the guy I bought my bozak's from cleary explained to me how he redid the crossover's using parts with the right value's and great quality, but you know there are people out there with old speakers who might not be as lucky. they might be very receptive to your services.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• vman71
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Can someone please help me with directions on how to upload pictures.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Click the little "go advanced" button and then once you get to the new page scroll down near the bottom there will be a "manage attachments" button. Click that and then you can browse your computer to upload any pics. Just click upload and once they finish close the window and post away.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,862
    edited June 2006
    Options
    And do not preview your post, otherwise you will lose the attachment(s).
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I don't think it does that anymore. It cleared any attachments back with the old forum version, but didn't they fix that this time around?

edit: yeah I just tried it and it doesn't delete the attachments anymore.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Oh goodie!!! I just figured it was the same, thanks!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vman71
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Before.JPG

After.JPG

After 2.JPG

After 3.JPG

The first picture shows the original crossover. The parts that were replaced were the caps (in blue, green and silver) and the single resistor in white.

The rest of the pictures show the after of the crossover. The items in yellow are Kimber Kaps and the black items are new electrlytics. Due to space limitations, the new non-inductive Mills resistor went underneath the PCB.

This is basically the same thing that I'll be doing to Polk crossovers. Upgrading a few parts and your back in business with a speaker that will sound at least 25% better across the entire frequency spectrum (highs, mids, lows). It usually takes me one or two evenings, so the turn-around is quick.

Also, you only have to send the crossover network and not the entire speaker. So, basically it's what you see in the pictures. It really easy to take the crossovers out and re-install them too. It only takes a screwdriver and disconnecting a + and - lead from each individual speaker.

I live in Northern Virginia and do crossover upgrades for many brands of speakers. The crossover upgrades can range in price from $100 -$250 (per pair) for just about all of the upgrades. The pair in the pictures had a total of 8 caps and two resistors that were replaced and upgraded to better quality parts. This job was $215, to give you an estimate to go by.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about upgrading crossovers. It is hands down the best thing that I have done for my audio systems.

Thanks,
    Mike

Email is - mvansloten@gmail.com
    Cell - (571) 276-8892 EST
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited June 2006
    Options
    25% better? Exactly how does one go about measuring this 25% improvement in sound quality?

How about warranty issues? Who is going to repair the speakers if they are damaged during this upgrade process?

Will this upgrade void the Polk Audio warranty? Probably.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2006
    Options
  • vman71
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Frank,

25% is just my way of trying to describe how much better my 3 pair of speakers sounded after the crossover upgrade. I don't know any way else other than to place a percentage and also describe the way it sounds.

If I was to describe the way the speakers sound after the upgrade:
    - much more detailed
    - mids are much clearer/cleaner
    - highs are crisp and even more extended
    - lows are tighter
    - quieter background and better soundstage

Warranty:
    I don't alter the crossover circuit at all. I stick to all the original values and circuit points. I'm very confident about my soldering skills and I handle all audio gear with care.

If I damage the crossovers, I would gladly pay to have them fully replaced.

Bottom line: it's a fairly easy thing to do, a few screws and + and - wires. We do this everytime we connect the speaker wires to the back of our speakers. I've NEVER damaged anything during the upgrade process and have never had a customer damage their speaker during re-installation.

I do provide written instructions on how to remove and install the crossovers, specific to their Polk speaker. I'm also available by phone to walk them through anything during the process.

Thanks for the questions,
    Mike
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2006
    Options
    interesting.. since no other Polkies live close to me.. who could do the crossover upgrades on my speakers..i'd consider sending you the crossover in one of my speakers.. and then the other one..

I see you upgraded a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's. my friend has the same speakers.. he may be interested in the crossover upgrade. not sure though.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • vman71
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Danger Boy,

If you'd like to do one at a time, that would be fine, then you could A/B the speakers and comment on the affects of the upgrade.

Also, please feel free to forward the information to your friend with the Chorus II's.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • vman71
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I want to thank all of you for welcoming me to the Polk forum! While I don't personally own any Polk speakers, I know that they are outstanding.

I want to offer, as a "thank you" for your warm welcome, $25 off the first 5 crossover upgrades that I do here at the Polk forum.

Also, if it gives a sense of ease, I've attached a picture of my audio room where I enjoy my music.....I call it my "Man Cave".

I do crossover upgrades because I enjoy great music and want to get the most out of my listening time.

Thanks,
    Mike

Man Cave.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. You join the Polk Audio forum, yet don't own any Polk speakers. That in it's self is no biggie, but the only reason it seems you've joined is to drum up business for your business. Since you are making an approximate 50% profit (not including labor time) on the example you have shown, I can say it's a business. That is what I have a problem with. Maybe I'm out of line, how do the other forum members feel about this?

I'd also like to comment about your method of upgrading. It's my opinion that you're not getting the most out of what is possible. Just swapping one 68uF electrolytic for another isn't what I would call upgrading. I understand space limitations and the fact that Kimber's largest cap is 15uF were probably the factors involved in your decision, but there are other choices in film caps of the proper values larger than 15uF and other ways to mount large caps to small boards. All of the Polk SDA speakers use caps larger than 15uF and a few use two 130uF caps per board. Talk about real estate issues when upgrading to film caps, but it is possible. I also don't see that you have secured the caps in any fashion, therefore the possibility of vibration issues crop up. After all, there is a lot of air moving inside of those cabinets.

Just my $.02, but I'm not sure you're in the right place with the right stuff.

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Jesse, I thought about this too.. and it doesn't bother me.. it's up to us whether we give him any of our business anyway.

Actions speak louder than words... so lets let this play out and see how it runs it's course. I'm willing to cut a newie some slack in here.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • vman71
    edited June 2006
    Options
    F1 Nut,

I appreciate your comments and no offense has been taken. You're right that I don't own any Polk speakers. However, my cousin is a very big fan of Polk and I do enjoy his Polk set-up very much. I'm just stuck with my Klipsch speakers because I have a family/kids.

I have visited this forum in the past and like to read the threads over here. I have a passion for music enjoyment and for improving my audio system. Again, I apologize if it came off as I'm just trying to drum up business because that's not why I'm on this forum. If I never upgraded another crossover, I would still be happy listening and enjoying music.

As far as the 68uF electrolytic is concerned, it is not an upgrade but rather a fresh cap. All caps go bad over time, these Chorus II speakers are almost 20 years old. All caps at 20 years are in not the greatest of shape. At a minimum, I do replace the larger values with electrolytics. All the other get metallized polypropelene, film & foil, or PIOs.

As far as not being secured down, yes the picture dowsn't show after I used hot glue to secure them down. I wanted to get a clean picture. However, there are two schools of thought on this. One says that components should be secured down to prevent vibration; the other says that there is not ill effect. I do apply a thin strip of hot glue to the components I swap in.

Again, my apologies if I have offend you or anybody else on the Polk forum.

Mike
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it. If people are interested, they'll respond, if not the thread will die on its own.

Looks like you do good work Mike.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Frank Z wrote:
    25% better? Exactly how does one go about measuring this 25% improvement in sound quality?

How about warranty issues? Who is going to repair the speakers if they are damaged during this upgrade process?

Will this upgrade void the Polk Audio warranty? Probably.
    Uh, oh....
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited June 2006
    Options
    vman71 wrote:
    F1 Nut,

I appreciate your comments and no offense has been taken. You're right that I don't own any Polk speakers. However, my cousin is a very big fan of Polk and I do enjoy his Polk set-up very much. I'm just stuck with my Klipsch speakers because I have a family/kids.

I have visited this forum in the past and like to read the threads over here. I have a passion for music enjoyment and for improving my audio system. Again, I apologize if it came off as I'm just trying to drum up business because that's not why I'm on this forum. If I never upgraded another crossover, I would still be happy listening and enjoying music.

As far as the 68uF electrolytic is concerned, it is not an upgrade but rather a fresh cap. All caps go bad over time, these Chorus II speakers are almost 20 years old. All caps at 20 years are in not the greatest of shape. At a minimum, I do replace the larger values with electrolytics. All the other get metallized polypropelene, film & foil, or PIOs.

As far as not being secured down, yes the picture dowsn't show after I used hot glue to secure them down. I wanted to get a clean picture. However, there are two schools of thought on this. One says that components should be secured down to prevent vibration; the other says that there is not ill effect. I do apply a thin strip of hot glue to the components I swap in.

Again, my apologies if I have offend you or anybody else on the Polk forum.

Mike
    I must say that I am a newbie and haven't a clue nor the desire to risk f-ing up my setup by doing an upgrade on my SRS's on my own. I was fortunate enough to find an experienced individual in the forum who was willing to help me out. It is highly unlikely I would let me local repair shop do this type of work. The forum is for true junkies, so I'd be more likely to go with someone from Club Polk. Again, my helper is very experienced and has done several upgrades. I might not be as confident in someone new, but it is nice to know someone is willing. I wasn't sure how I was going to get the work done until the chance opportunity. I suspect there are many like myself who love the gear but don't have the technical prowess (or confidence) to do the work themselves. I know better from past forays.....

By the way, won't a little duct tape hold everything together......:) :):):):):):):)
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • F1nut
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Mike,

Yep, we're just having a conversation, no offense meant or taken. I certainly didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with owning Kilpsch or any other speaker for that matter. It's all personal preference and all are welcome here.

I'm well aware of what you're doing with the electrolytic caps and why. My point was and remains that just replacing an old one with a new one isn't going to give you the maximum benefit that replacing all the caps with better quality film caps will. In my view, it's doing half the job and resulting in half the benefits.

Good news on the hot glue.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• vman71
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Jesse,

I'm with you on only half the benefits with electrolytics. I don't use them unless I absolutely have to. Most of the time, it has been my experience that almost all of them can be replaced with metallized polypropelene, film & foil, or PIOs with only one being the very large value cap.

I am interested in finding out how to make my cousins RT10's and CS245 the best they can be.

Mike
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Mike,
    Welcome to CP!
    A lot of us here like to tinker with our gear too. You're going to have a great time on the forums.
    Love your set up! I'm also a big fan of Klipsch. I have a pair of RF-35 that sounds real sweet with tubes. What year are your mains? Are you aware of the better x-overs and drivers offered by Klipsch?
  • vman71
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Organ,

Thanks for the welcome!

As many of us are in the same boat, limited funds and/or the significant other factor, I find myself trying to make the most of the gear that I have. That's what got me tinkering with the "insides" and it was easy because I was trained in the military to repair electronics.

You have a sweet set-up aswell! Tubes and Klipsch are a great combination. I love my Klipsch but try to keep up with the Polk stuff because my cousin is a Polk guy and he wants to make his RT10's go farther in performance.

My mains (Chorus II's) are 1989 vintage. The only thing that I've done is upgrade the crossover myself and buy the titanium diaphrams from Klipsch for the tweeters and mids. Have you done anything to your RF-35's?

I'm hoping to learn more here at Club Polk on what other things can be done with the RT10's and CS245 to make them better

Mike