svs subwoofer, Hows the non powered?

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I seen a post about the SVS subs, well i checked out the site and wow these are nice but kinda pricey. what i want to know is whats the difference between the pci+ series and the regular ol pci sub, and also what about saving some cash and getting a non powered SVS and useing a amp to power it? Does the sub still have a adjustable crossover even though the amp is absent?
and would you just adjust the level through the receivers controls instead of the volume knob on the powered subs. Ok i know some of you have one or read about them so what ya think.... Thanks
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2002
    Options
    With a PSW1200 sub, I can't see why you are interested in an upgrade!

Anyway, the PCi has the "improved standard driver", which is still one hella woofer. And the PC+ has the TC Sounds dB-12 upgraded driver. The dB-12 is capable of 6 dB more output than the ISD driver.

The PCi has a 320 watt BASH amp with a non adjustable one frequency SS filter, and a 0/180 phase switch. The PC+ has a 525 watt BASH amp with a user selectable 4 position SS filter (25, 20, 16, 12) and a continuously variable phase switch.

The PCi has one 4" port. The PC+ has three 3" ports, which can be plugged (one or two) with the port plugs (provided), and the state of tune can be altered. For example, a 20-39 PC+ can be tuned to 16 Hz (one plug), or even 12 Hz (two plugs).

The non-powered CS series has the ISD woofer, and the CS+ series has the dB-12 woofer. The CS+ can be tuned, but neither model has any electronics whatsoever and only accept speaker wire inputs. All bass management is done at the receiver, and the LFE jack goes from the receiver to the external amp. If you have the spare amp, the CS/CS+ series can save you some scratch, certainly.

While you COULD get by with a 100 WPC spare amp for the CS series, it will not power the sub to its true potential. I would use at least a 250W plate amp from Parts Express or Acoustic Visions. For the CS+ series, a 500W is preferable. Also, you would need an external SS filter if you were going to push them hard.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I have the JBL version psw1200 sub not polks, This one is a single 12" driver with a 120 watt amp and crossover. It is loud and works great but seems like its old news compared to the raves about the svs. Ok then what SVS would you suggest under like $400-500 bucks. can't swing the $8??.00 thats to much for me right now.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited October 2002
    Options
    The 25-31 PCi for a smidge over $500 - too bad you missed the summer sale. Also check B-stock on the website for great deals.

If you have a spare amp that is at least 300W (preferably 500W), then you could go with a 25-31CS+ and really bring the house down.

Also, DIY is the best value going - check out http://www.acoustic-visions.com/index.htm if you are into DIY.

Doc

SVS
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Well the Carver amp i should be getting soon can be bridged mono for 4 or 5 hundred watts i think, So that would cover the power useing another one of those except if you don't get a crossover with the non powered svs then it would be just as well to get the one you suggested.... if i had to supply an amp and crossover...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited October 2002
    Options
    You don't need a crossover - set your speaks to small, your sub to on, and run a sub cable from the LFE pre-out on the receiver to the Carver amp RCA input. Then run speaker wire to the CS+. If you want to run a SS filter, stick in in between the receiver and the amp.

Doc

SVS
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Oh ok, whats the LFE out i hear everyone talking about? I know low feq. ?? I have a SUB pre-out on the receiver is that the same thing? Thanks for the info on the subs also
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Sorry, it is the same. Low Frequency Effects. It is the dedicated ".1" bass channel in 5.1.

Setting your speaks to small will also route bass below approximately 100 Hz from those channels to the sub pre-out.

This takes the load off your speaks and receiver and lets the Carver amp and sub handle the LFE channel PLUS the low bass from the main speaks.

Doc

SVS
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Cool sounds good, great info
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited October 2002
    Options
    You guys really got me interested in these SVS subs! I did a bunch of digging around the net and found some great reviews about them.

I'm going to reconsider my future sub purchase to maybe a 16-46 PC+. At $875.00, man oh man you can't go wrong!!!

I really like the design of these also! I think this company really hit the mark just by what i'm reading. Of course, the final test will be one of my own to run through the trials!

Thanks for the heads up on these! ;)

John
    No excuses!